Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

I have drop outs on

USA
TBS
A&E
I also have been having freezes and drop outs on NFL Network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Channel: SyFy (244)
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010
Program: "Haven"
Time(s): 10:43 P.M.
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1019AH

#163 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

I had 3-4 dropouts during my replay of The Next Food Network Star (Food Channel HD, Ch. 231) on 8/8/10.

#164 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

I experienced numerous audio dropouts during the broadcast of last night's NFL game on NBC.
Not sure if this is just a local issue or national.

#165 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

I took 2 videos to show how drop outs occur on my setup. In the first video, the drop occurs at 0:12. It's a close up of what my Yamaha does. The show was on Discovery at 10:00pm - 11:00pm cst.

qzVQ0Oc_Ed8

Video 2 is a view from further away. The drop is the same as video 1, but occurs at about 0:13.

_DyRAPVVKfY
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#166 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

Stuart,
As a complainer, all I really want to know is that DirecTV views this as a legitimate problem and someone is working to correct it. I believe that the delivery of DD5.1 via MPEG4 is the issue. Granted it looks to be an encoding problem, but the end result is that my enjoyment of this enhanced audio is degraded due to this problem. I am obviously not alone.

I would like to say that DirecTV has done a very good job of delivering their HD video via MPEG4 and MRV. I am truly amazed some times at the quality of the picture. If they can handle the video, certainly they should be able to clean up the audio.

Thanks!:)

DIRECTV views this as a legitimate problem and someone is working to correct it.

Is it completely on the encoder end, or completely at the receiver end, or is it some of both? I'm not qualified to answer that question. But I can tell you this... everyone agrees it's an issue and everyone wants it resolved. Not just us, but the DIRECTV people too.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#167 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

I had 3-4 dropouts during my replay of The Next Food Network Star (Food Channel HD, Ch. 231) on 8/8/10.

I had some as well during my playback.

#168 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I had some as well during my playback.

A LOT more than 3 or 4 for me. Just finished watching it. It was really annoying but I'll take silence in place of Brrrips anytime.

#169 OFFLINE   mrcon0728

mrcon0728

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Pretty much any channel in HD that DD 5.1 is enabled. When I switch my Onkyo Receiver to stereo is stops. I called D* for the third time in 6 month's about this issue, because I am sick of it. The rep told me they have not heard of this issue and then he checked my call history and saw the previous calls.

#170 OFFLINE   bigzeto

bigzeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Getting a dropout every few minutes on Comedy Central HD - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

#171 OFFLINE   Bofurley

Bofurley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

I was in Ames Iowa over the past weekend, and had the same audio drop out there with Medicom TV service.
I think is is something with the transmission, and not from any DTv equipment.
I have 2 HR24-500s and 1 HR21-100.

#172 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

I was in Ames Iowa over the past weekend, and had the same audio drop out there with Medicom TV service.
I think is is something with the transmission, and not from any DTv equipment.
I have 2 HR24-500s and 1 HR21-100.

Some is and some isn't.
A.K.A VOS

#173 OFFLINE   aldamon

aldamon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

DIRECTV views this as a legitimate problem and someone is working to correct it.

Is it completely on the encoder end, or completely at the receiver end, or is it some of both? I'm not qualified to answer that question. But I can tell you this... everyone agrees it's an issue and everyone wants it resolved. Not just us, but the DIRECTV people too.

Oh thank goodness. I an so tired of missing dialog in basically everything we watch. No discernible pattern to channel/dropouts/time.

Pioneer VSX-1014TX
HR20-100 via TOSLINK

Pretty much any channel in HD that DD 5.1 is enabled. When I switch my Onkyo Receiver to stereo is stops.....I am sick of it.

Agree 100%.

#174 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

I guess I watch different HD channels than most. While I do have these and posted about them on last Thursday's recording off USA, I haven't really noticed any on what I've been watching since.
I'm not trying to diminish the problem, just to suggest maybe not all the HD channels are doing this all the time.
A.K.A VOS

#175 OFFLINE   The Fuzz 53

The Fuzz 53

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

I have it on ALL of them, but find Discovery and Comedy Central to be the worst.

I watched a recording of Futurama from Thursday night yesterday and that had 3 drops in it.

I've also noticed the problem on my local channels.

National Channels
206 - ESPN
209 - ESPN 2
241 - SPIKE
242 - USA
245 - TNT
247 - TBS
248 - FX (This one also has commercials that are twice as loud as the programs)
269 - History
277 - Travel
278 - Discovery
280 - TLC
296 - Cartoon Network
639 - SNY (Mets baseball)

NYC Locals
2 - CBS
4 - NBC
5 - Fox
7 - ABC
11 - CW

Equipment:
Living Room: HR22-100 connected to Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR via HDMI. AVR connected to Samsung HL-S5087W DLP 1080p TV via HDMI. Other equipment connected to Onkyo: Samsung BD-P1500 blu-ray player via HDMI, Xbox 360 Elite via HDMI, Nintendo Wii via component cables. Directv receiver, blu ray player and Xbox are connected to a D-Link switch via ethernet, which is connected to a Linksys e2000 router via ethernet.

Bedroom: H23-600 connected to Panasonic TC-L32C12 via HDMI. Also connected to tv: Panasonic DMP-BD60k blu ray player. Both are connected to a Linksys switch via ethernet, which is connected to a Linksys e2000 router via ethernet.

Edited by The Fuzz 53, 10 August 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#176 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

I'm not trying to diminish the problem, just to suggest maybe not all the HD channels are doing this all the time.

I've kinda watched this thread since you started it, but even though it's baseball season, and the number and amount of non-baseball channels that impede upon the 99.9% of time that any game is on (okay, there IS time before 7pm EST in my daily schedule, but it's sure much nicer being on the west coast than the east if you don't want to doze off in the easy chair on those west coast games!!!)....

BUT, dropouts occur on every channel, every minute/hour, every game, on all the systems I own.

HR20-700 - through Slimline5 w/WB616 multiswitch,
TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V3000

H20-100 - through Slimline5 to SWM8, same audio path as HR20-700
(both top units in 'home theater'), may get replaced by
HR24 at some future date (!)

HR20-100 - same route as H20-100, but HDMI to Samsung HDTV
(no surround sound processor, in bedroom)

HR20-100 - 'portable' Slimline5, direct cable to HR, to Samsung HDTV
HDMI through Panasonic amp
(this system in 5th wheel trailer, only occasional use)

If you listen closely, and especially with live baseball, you'll get 'micro-dropouts' even on the HR20-100 direct HDMI to the HDTV set. I'm sure that most folks would not notice it, but I do. Those 'micro' happenings kick both my large (yes, old) Yamaha (I'm taking a collection to get something with TrueHD/DTS-HD-MA!) as well as the newer little Panasonic surround amp in the trailer to 'skip'.

Right now, I'm watching the TB Rays game on SunSports, who do not have Dolby Digital turned on, and so its flat stereo. Still dropouts. Maybe not as many as, say, NESN or YES, but they're there. Consistently.

It's a system-wide problem. And since it occurs even on those channels that are NOT Dolby Digital, it's something that all channels are routed through, and that includes non-HD and non-Dolby types.

#177 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

If you listen closely, and especially with live baseball, you'll get 'micro-dropouts' even on the HR20-100 direct HDMI to the HDTV set. I'm sure that most folks would not notice it, but I do.

I respect and believe you and that you're getting/hearing these, and only wanted to suggest my ears aren't that bad either and I do tend to notice even the shortest ones, but for most of the channels I've been watching the last few/several days, they simply haven't been there, but then I'm also not watching baseball and remote sports feeds have been some of the worst for these.
A.K.A VOS

#178 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

I think that why it's more noticeable on the sports/baseball feeds, is the constant/near-constant background crowd noise. That makes the dropouts, large and small, VERY noticeable, next to, say, network drama's where the background music may be nowhere near as constant.

But you do perhaps have a point on the fact that the games are 'remote', and if so, then (and I'm going to get 'technical' here), since everything in HD is digital (and in fact the SD-Audio probably is), we are probably seeing a 'jitter' problem with the feeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter

Jitter is accumulative. It's VERY difficult to impossible to 'clean up' or remove (read: expensive circuitry). It can be minimized, but only through careful engineering of the equipment and systems.

In my early years, I spent a month on an early digital microwave system (circa 1974) trying to get the digital carrier to 'settle down'. All the testing showed that each RF repeater and associated digital re-combiner was operating well within spec, yet when hooked up in tandem, would fall fall on it's face.

Turned out that the test equipment simply, at the time, wasn't up to the task of identifying (and conversely, allowing good alignment) of those repeater circuits. I bashed together some ideas to improve the sensitivity of that test gear, and managed to get it to give me some idea of what was going on, and more accurately align the system. (Look up 'regenerative repeaters')

More so than even the manufacturers rep or the factory the equipment had come out of could do.

It's this kind of experience, repeated more times I care to mention, that tells me right off the bat that unless and until DirecTV gets some independent (not DirecTV or a manufacturers rep) person in there, with no axe to grind one way or the other, it's pretty much shooting in the dark.

There's always the possibility they'll 'trip' across where the problem lies, but......

#179 OFFLINE   amanz

amanz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Audio dropouts occur on HD channels broadcasting DD5.1 about 3x-4x an hour, sometimes more, occasionally less. Dropouts last 0.5 sec to 1 sec duration, about 15-20 mins apart. Sometimes spaced closer, rarely farther apart.

Dropouts don't bother my spouse or kids, but annoy me as I'm much more anal about the quality of what I watch and hear. DirecTV video quality is superb. Too bad DD5.1 isn't up to the same standards. Any ETA from D*TV on when this problem will be resolved?

Worst offenders channel list:
SyFy - several dropouts during Eureka last Fri night
History Channel
TravelHD
BioHD
Sci Channel
Animal Planet (probably worst of worst)

Equipment list:
- HR21-700 DVR connected to Onkyo TX-SR876 A/V receiver via HDMI
- Sharp LC-52D64U connected to Onkyo via HDMI as well.
HD channels not broadcasting in DD5.1 are converted to PIIx Movie surround mode by the Onkyo w/o dropouts. Personally, I'd rather live with the dropouts and the superior audio effects of DD5.1, rather than turn off DD and listen to audio via PIIx Movie mode. Dolby PIIx mode just isn't the same. Has anyone else played with other surround modes such as Neo or THX? How do they compare to PIIx or DD5.1. Haven't experimented myself yet.

#180 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

I went through three episodes of Whale Wars on Animal Planet and I had multiple drops (5-10) in each one hour episode.

spam firewall