Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should DirecTv Lessen the EDID Restrictions for Watching 3D Content?

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

Poll: Should DirecTv Lessen the EDID Restrictions for Watching 3D Content? (143 member(s) have cast votes)

Should DirecTv Lessen the EDID Restrictions for Watching 3D Content?

1. Yes, DirecTv should lessen the EDID restrictions for watching 3D content. (115 votes [80.42%])

Percentage of vote: 80.42%

2. No, the EDID restrictions imposed by DirecTv for watching 3D content is good. (28 votes [19.58%])

Percentage of vote: 19.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 OFFLINE   raclevel

raclevel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:12 AM

This is interesting, a response from MDEA explaining a little bit of how their adaptor is designed to couple with the TV and how the HDMI 1.3 AVR is providing its own EDID to the DVR. This came from a recent post on the AVS forum...

Quote from MDEA:
Our adapter is not an independent HDMI repeating device; it designed specifically to match to our TVs and becomes “one device” with the TV. It is specifically an upgrade device for the matching TVs. The TV/Adapter combination sends a single EDID.

An AV Receiver is not a simple HDMI switch or pass through device, it is a repeater that has video processing. Because of this it has its own EDID.

When a source device (Blu-ray player, Cable Box, Satellite Receiver, etc.) is connected to the AV Receiver, the source device receives the AV Receiver’s EDID analyzes the list of supported features, video formats, audio formats etc. and normally blocks everything that is not common between the AV Receiver and that source device – for instance, if the AV Receiver does not support DTS Audio in 7.1 lossless format and the Blu-ray player can support this, the Blu-ray player will still block this type of audio because the AV Receiver does not support. This is also true of 3D signals, if the AV Receiver does not support 3D, the Blu-ray player will block this type of signal. End Quote

So if we try to use a Gifen spoofer between the DVR and AVR it should be programmed with an EDID from a 3D capable AVR which has similar functionality as our existing non 3D ready AVR. I suppose the EDID information might be dynamic to reflect how we have the AVR programmed??? The solution mentioned by GregLee is sounding better all the time...

Edited by raclevel, 11 August 2010 - 05:55 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

This is interesting, a response from MDEA explaining a little bit of how their adaptor is designed to couple with the TV and how the HDMI 1.3 AVR is providing its own EDID to the DVR. This came from a recent post on the AVS forum...

Quote from MDEA:
Our adapter is not an independent HDMI repeating device; it designed specifically to match to our TVs and becomes “one device” with the TV. It is specifically an upgrade device for the matching TVs. The TV/Adapter combination sends a single EDID.

An AV Receiver is not a simple HDMI switch or pass through device, it is a repeater that has video processing. Because of this it has its own EDID.

An EDID work around is also sounding better every minute. Technology that simplifies our lives is great. Technology that complicates our lives not so much.
When a source device (Blu-ray player, Cable Box, Satellite Receiver, etc.) is connected to the AV Receiver, the source device receives the AV Receiver’s EDID analyzes the list of supported features, video formats, audio formats etc. and normally blocks everything that is not common between the AV Receiver and that source device – for instance, if the AV Receiver does not support DTS Audio in 7.1 lossless format and the Blu-ray player can support this, the Blu-ray player will still block this type of audio because the AV Receiver does not support. This is also true of 3D signals, if the AV Receiver does not support 3D, the Blu-ray player will block this type of signal. End Quote

So if we try to use a Gifen spoofer between the DVR and AVR it should be programmed with an EDID from a 3D capable AVR which has similar functionality as our existing non 3D ready AVR. I suppose the EDID information might be dynamic to reflect how we have the AVR programmed??? The solution mentioned by GregLee is sounding better all the time...

An EDID work around that could be controlled by the DirecTv customer from the menu is sounding better by the minute to me.

#223 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

I have a 3D front projector that does all consumer 3D formats plus plus, however because it is not listed amoung those TV's supported by Directv I now have to jump through hoops to try and watch 3D content I have paid Directv to view, this is total BS and Directv may loose a subscriber from 1990 for this reason alone.

Cablevision does not have this requirement so I may walk

#224 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I have a 3D front projector that does all consumer 3D formats plus plus, however because it is not listed amoung those TV's supported by Directv I now have to jump through hoops to try and watch 3D content I have paid Directv to view, this is total BS and Directv may loose a subscriber from 1990 for this reason alone.

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please post what hardware you are using and as many details as possible here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182213

According to the moderators here, DirecTv is concerned and trying to make things better but needs to know what is not working. Personally, I believe the best solution is to give the user more control over things such as enabling 3D. I am afraid that if they continue along this path then they will lose loyal customers such as yourself. Myself and others have been stating this for a while but at times I feel like we are shouting into the wind.

#225 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

Any updates on your situation?

#226 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

What providers have EDID requirements and which ones don't?

#227 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:47 AM

What providers have EDID requirements and which ones don't?

DirecTV is the only provider I'm aware of that has these ridiculous restrictions.

#228 OFFLINE   JackBarry

JackBarry

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:22 AM

If Direct TV wants truly to be a leader in the implementation of 3D TV, a new 3D Receiver should be offered that has 2 HDMI outputs like the new Panasonic Blu-ray Player. This would eliminate many if not all of the problems extensively covered in this forum. In addition it would allow all of their customers that do not have 1.4a AV Receivers to continue to uses their audio home theater systems and watch 3D content.

One HDMI output carrying the video direct to the TV and one HDMI output carrying the audio to the AV Receiver.

#229 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

There is no need to impose HDMI 1.4 restrictions anyway.
DTV = Digital Television

#230 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

If Direct TV wants truly to be a leader in the implementation of 3D TV, a new 3D Receiver should be offered that has 2 HDMI outputs like the new Panasonic Blu-ray Player.

Supplying their customers with millions of new satellite receivers is obviously not a feasible solution. But providing a manual method of setting the receivers to send side-by-side 3D output would work and should be easy. Apparently DirecTV is not going to do that, though.
Greg

#231 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

DirecTV is the only provider I'm aware of that has these ridiculous restrictions.

If only one is enforcing a standard then the standard is not the standard.

Confucius also states that "Man who stands on toilet is high on pot".

#232 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

If only one is enforcing a standard then the standard is not the standard.

There is no standard. DirecTV is simply trying to minimize customer service calls.

#233 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

There is no standard. DirecTV is simply trying to minimize customer service calls.

Frustrating the customer with cumbersome EDID restrictions I believe will result in more customer service calls.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...