Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The sun sends a charged cloud hurtling our way

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rrrick8

rrrick8

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

An unusually complex magnetic eruption on the sun has flung a large cloud of electrically charged particles towards Earth. When the cloud hits, which could be anytime now, it could spark aurorae in the skies around the poles and pose a threat to satellites – though probably not a particularly severe one.

http://www.newscient...ng-our-way.html
--------------------------------------------

MY SETUP

Vermilionweather.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

OK, I'm ready...:)

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#3 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

ROFL at the hat. I need to make one.

#4 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

With all this new solar energy being outputted, it's bound to have a warming effect on our planet. Consequently, don't be surprised if we again hear screams of Global Warming is roasting our planet.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

With all this new solar energy being outputted, it's bound to have a warming effect on our planet. Consequently, don't be surprised if we again hear screams of Global Warming is roasting our planet.

105F today, 107 tomorrow, 108 Wednesday.... In Arkansas. Record heat... Doesnt take a solar flare to convince me. A 1 minute step outside is enough. Inside car temperature after work today when I got in the car, was 155F. And I had the windows rolled down an inch.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

And yet the southern hemisphere, particularly the continent of South America, is experiencing one of its coldest, severest winters ever. Funny how we hear not one mention of that--just all the heat.

Regardless, it's simply Earth doing her thing. She's done it before; she'll do it again, whether Man is here or not.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#7 OFFLINE   Motley

Motley

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:32 AM

It's not just warming it's climate change. Weather patterns are changed all over the place. Some places get colder and others get warmer. Some places are drier and others are wetter. Just because it is cold someplace on the planet at any given time it does not mean that climate change is not happening. :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

It's not just warming it's climate change. Weather patterns are changed all over the place. Some places get colder and others get warmer. Some places are drier and others are wetter. Just because it is cold someplace on the planet at any given time it does not mean that climate change is not happening. :rolleyes:

However, the sun's output, quite possibly, might have far more to do with that climate change than man's influence on this planet.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

:lol:

However, the sun's output, quite possibly, might have far more to do with that climate change than man's influence on this planet.

What? That can't be right. Just because, say, Mars is also experiencing some warming doesn't mean that it isn't all our fault. What about all of those SUVs on Mars? I hear Al Gore will be selling Martian Carbon Credits soon... :lol:

Anyone with a brain knows that our planet has had many periods of heating and cooling, LONG before we were using fossil fuels. We also know that the sun's activity has increased relatively recently, increasing average temps across the solar system. Humans contribute a tiny bit, but we're insignificant compared to the power of the sun.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

A legit article about electrically charged particles from the sun disrupting satellites has turned into another climate change debate. Really? Did anyone read the article? IT'S NOT ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE.

:backtotop
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

A legit article about electrically charged particles from the sun disrupting satellites has turned into another climate change debate. Really? Did anyone read the article? IT'S NOT ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE.

:backtotop

I can read. You are right it's about electrically charged particles. It seem someone had to make this about GLOBAL WARMING trying to get a rise out of people who recognize CLIMATE CHANGE as a possibility.
It's only tv!

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I can read. You are right it's about electrically charged particles. It seem someone had to make this about GLOBAL WARMING trying to get a rise out of people who recognize CLIMATE CHANGE as a possibility.

Did you not attend USC? ;) I kid!

Back on topic...I have a weird paranoia about the sun or other space-like catastrophe ending civilization.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Isn't the sun forecasted to have increased solar storms until 2013? I think this past winter we were in a lull with the solar flares but this year until 2013 the activity is forecasted to pick up. The satellites are going to get their fair share of solar radiation thrown their way, hope they survive the upcoming CMEs.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#14 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Global temperatures are definitely up.

The argument is about what's caused that increase -- natural or man-made. I'm sure it's both but have no idea how to break that down percentage-wise.

Haven't noticed any satellite outages here, but we seldom watch TV when the sun is out anyway <g>
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#15 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Isn't the sun forecasted to have increased solar storms until 2013? I think this past winter we were in a lull with the solar flares but this year until 2013 the activity is forecasted to pick up. The satellites are going to get their fair share of solar radiation thrown their way, hope they survive the upcoming CMEs.

I think the solar activity is supposed to peak around December 21, 2012.

;)

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Seems like it's time to continue this discussion here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182082
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...