Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Network programming on demand??

hd23-700

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:19 AM

I'm currently on Time Warner and looking to switch to Directv. However, one of the channels that TW offers that I find my family using more and more is Prime Time on Demand. This channel offers past episodes of some of the more popular shows from three? I think of the major networks. This is in addition to all of the other individual on demand channels, ie Discovery channel on demand. I'm having a difficult time figuring out if Directv offers anything like this, and even more how their on demand channels work, and what I would need to get, equipment and service wise to get them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

No, no network On Demand.

IMO, the feature is useful on cable because hard drive size is so small that you can't record as much programming and "catch up" on seasons at later times as easily with even a 500 GB HDD of satellite recordings. With 2 stock 500 GB DVRs in a home with MRV, you don't even need on demand.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

That makes sense because I'm not sure how big the hard drive on my TW box is, but space is a constant issue. Lots of times I have had recordings canceled because of a lack of space. We also are forced to record shows on both dvr's in case we aren't sure if we want to watch the show up in the bedroom, or in the tv room.

Other than that channel, it looked like there were quite a few on demand channels that directv offered that show current programming from that channel, past episodes etc. Is that correct, and if so, how is the quality of those channels?

#4 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

They had NBC for a very short time but it was .50 or more a show. They do have discovery nat geo etc on demand.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:48 AM

That makes sense because I'm not sure how big the hard drive on my TW box is, but space is a constant issue. Lots of times I have had recordings canceled because of a lack of space. We also are forced to record shows on both dvr's in case we aren't sure if we want to watch the show up in the bedroom, or in the tv room.

Other than that channel, it looked like there were quite a few on demand channels that directv offered that show current programming from that channel, past episodes etc. Is that correct, and if so, how is the quality of those channels?

Yeah, most cable DVRs give you 20 hours of material. A 500 GB Directv DVR (HR22, 23, 24) gives you about 100 hours of sat recordings, plus you can add an eSATA up to 2 TB (400 hours).

Honestly, Directv OnDemand is pretty lackluster. I find it great to catch up on Showtimes' original series & that's about it for me. There's no HBO OnDemand & Starz still hasn't added HD to theirs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...