Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions about dish installation tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hi All, thanks for all the informative discussion here. It's always great to find an enthusiastic and knowledgeable community!

I am having DirecTV installed tomorrow morning. I am making the switch from my Cox Cable / Tivo setup primarily for the whole house DVR feature.

Anyway, the dish will quite likely get installed in my back yard. The best place is probably going to be attached to my block wall, or on a pole from the ground. Will the installer come prepared to install in either location? Is there anything I can do or purchase ahead of time to facilitate the installation in one of these locations? My preference will be to mount on the block wall.

I know that a pole can be cemented into the ground directly, but I have also seen the dish mounted on something that sits on the ground and is held down by cement blocks or something. Will the installer have that sort of mount with him? I don't mind paying a little extra for that, I am more curious if they will have what they need.

I want to do everything I can to actually be up and running when he leaves!

Thanks in advance

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hi All, thanks for all the informative discussion here. It's always great to find an enthusiastic and knowledgeable community!

I am having DirecTV installed tomorrow morning. I am making the switch from my Cox Cable / Tivo setup primarily for the whole house DVR feature.

Anyway, the dish will quite likely get installed in my back yard. The best place is probably going to be attached to my block wall, or on a pole from the ground. Will the installer come prepared to install in either location? Is there anything I can do or purchase ahead of time to facilitate the installation in one of these locations? My preference will be to mount on the block wall.

I know that a pole can be cemented into the ground directly, but I have also seen the dish mounted on something that sits on the ground and is held down by cement blocks or something. Will the installer have that sort of mount with him? I don't mind paying a little extra for that, I am more curious if they will have what they need.

I want to do everything I can to actually be up and running when he leaves!

Thanks in advance

I don't know enough on this topic to answer all of your questions. There are many people who are however and I am sure they will be along shortly.

I do know this though...if an installer mounts a dish to a pole and anchors the poll to the ground with blocks, bricks, or otherwise rather than properly installing it...punch him in the face...hard. Just kidding, but don't let them do that.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

All the times I have peered into (or got to dig around in) the truck I see the stuff required for a pole mount. Call D* and have them note on your order "customer may need a pole mount" so maybe the installer will see it and grab some poles and concrete before taking off.

As for the cinder block thing, that is a non-penetrating mount.

Posted Image

I doubt they have those on the truck, especially for a residential install. I also doubt the installer will go for it in the yard since it would be easy to mess up the alignment, and he would probably get a charge back.

The pole install seems to be either $75 or $150, not sure why they are so different, and the non-pen would be about $100 if you bought it yourself.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

All the times I have peered into (or got to dig around in) the truck I see the stuff required for a pole mount. Call D* and have them note on your order "customer may need a pole mount" so maybe the installer will see it and grab some poles and concrete before taking off.

OK, thanks, I will do just that.

Posted Image

I doubt they have those on the truck, especially for a residential install. I also doubt the installer will go for it in the yard since it would be easy to mess up the alignment, and he would probably get a charge back.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The woman from my HOA told me she has one of those that has been working out well for her.

The pole install seems to be either $75 or $150, not sure why they are so different, and the non-pen would be about $100 if you bought it yourself.

Ouch! I would dig and cement my own pole if I knew for sure where to do it and if it were necessary. I hope they can install on the block wall though....it is pretty darn solid.

Thanks a lot for the tips!

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

To heck with any HOA. Put that dish where you want and how you want.
DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

My parents got D* over the last weekend and we did the pole mount ourselves. Dad showed me kinda where he wanted the dish and we used dishpointer.com and even a test dish to make sure it would work and meet the LOS requirements. I set the pole and laid a small conduit so all the tech had to do was stick the dish on and poke the wire through the pipe. He was very happy he didn't have to get on our roof in the over 100 degree weather. :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#7 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

To heck with any HOA. Put that dish where you want and how you want.

Fortunately my HOA is really quite relaxed and won't be any problem. My main concern is getting the best signal!

...we used dishpointer.com...

Awesome website, thanks for the link. I was wondering if my neighbor's trees/house would interfere, looks to be no problem at all. This website actually expands my options for mounting more than I expected!

#8 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk.

I live in Glendale.

I also have been a D* customer since 1998. When first installed my HOA was on an antenna witch-hunt. My solution was to have the dish attached to the back side of my block wall surrounding the house. The location and angle of the wall was perfect for all satellites and had no trees or other impediments in the way. For me that was a perfect solution and has worked all these years.

Let me know if you have any questions.

#9 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

Pole mounts are part of a standard install now for a Slimline dish.

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Pole mounts are part of a standard install now for a Slimline dish.

Yup. We don't charge for KA/KU pole mounts at our office. Standard pole installs are still chargeable UNLESS the only place to put it is on a pole.

(we do charge for burying cable over 15-20ft in either case)

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#11 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Huh. Wonder if the office that did our install would have done it for free? Oh well, I am not too concerned, our install was rather customized and the installer worked with me very well on it. :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

Protected By... spam firewall...And...