Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which dish do I need?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IBJammin

IBJammin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

I am about to upgrade my system to HD and need some help. Right now I have a 522 receiver with a Dish 500 antenna. I will probably get the 722 even though I am reluctant due to complaints I have read about the receiver and the bugs it seems to have. But concerning the dish, because I live about 100 miles due north of New Orleans, LA., would I need a 1000.2 or a 1000.4 dish?
I am having to install all of this myself due to issues that I can't discuss on this forum. And can any of you give me pointers or things to think about when doing this? I just do not want to make a mistake and end up wasting money.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

The 722 is roughly bulletproof as long as you don't overheat it.

If the issues you're referring to involve locals, without knowing where the heck you are we can't peg whether you need a .4 or a .2

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   IBJammin

IBJammin

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Sorry about that. I am getting my local channels out of Jackson, Ms. in which I live 100 miles due south of. Like I mentioned earlier, there is no Dish Network dealer in my area and I can not involve Dish. So I have to go this thing along so I will probably be asking for further help in the future.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

But concerning the dish, because I live about 100 miles due north of New Orleans, LA., would I need a 1000.2 or a 1000.4 dish?

Jackson HD is on 61.5 (Eastern Arc, 1000.4 dish).
New Orleans HD locals are on 129 (Western Arc, 1000.2 dish).

I am having to install all of this myself due to issues that I can't discuss on this forum. And can any of you give me pointers or things to think about when doing this?

Well you know how we feel about this. Get the locals for the market you're in. Both markets are available in HD ... and if you're in the New Orleans market that includes a CW channel.

#5 OFFLINE   IBJammin

IBJammin

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Problem is that I live in Mississippi and want to receive the Jackson channels but Dish says otherwise. They say I am in Baton Rouge market. But I never go to Louisiana. I do all my shopping, doctors, hospital visits, etc.... in Jackson. I should not have to be forced to watch news, sports, weather, advertisements that don't effect me nor interest me.

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,199 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Problem is that I live in Mississippi and want to receive the Jackson channels but Dish says otherwise. They say I am in Baton Rouge market. But I never go to Louisiana. I do all my shopping, doctors, hospital visits, etc.... in Jackson. I should not have to be forced to watch news, sports, weather, advertisements that don't effect me nor interest me.

You can thank the FCC for deciding that satellite tv providers have to provide you locals based on Nielsen's DMA maps whether it happens to make sense where you live or not.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...