Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Clark Howard fires DishNetwork.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

This was on Clark Howard's website about how he "fired" dish network.

http://clarkhoward.c...10/08/03/18985/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

They lost him over the audit team.

Which means he has multiple receivers and refuses to connect them to a phone line (or new equipment, an internet line).
He also has five receivers, which makes it more likely that those receivers are on a stacked account.

I don't like the requirement nor the often heavy handed enforcement but he does have an account that raises red flags.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Which means he has multiple receivers and refuses to connect them to a phone line (or new equipment, an internet line).
He also has five receivers, which makes it more likely that those receivers are on a stacked account.

I don't like the requirement nor the often heavy handed enforcement but he does have an account that raises red flags.

Does Dish enforce this "need a phone/net connection" or is it like Directv's don't ask don't tell?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Wow, if I had to have a phone line connected to all my Directv stuff, it would take the phone company a whole day to run the wires...which would never happen, since I hate AT&T, and they are our local telco.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

I understand what Dish was doing but boy did they pick the wrong guy... TV, Internet, Newspaper Syndication. He's that customer.. you know the 1 angry customer who tells 10 other people? In Clark Howards case he could be the 1 angry customer who tells 10's of thousands...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

They wouldn't have these issues if they made a new MOCA sytem similiar to SWM. Honestly though thinking that 5 receivers is a lot now days is very behind the times.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Who?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

http://clarkhoward.com/

#9 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:34 AM

Who?

Many of you may not know who Clark Howard is.

He lives and works in Atlanta and is a self made millionaire and consumer advocate.

He may also be the cheapest man alive :lol:

But he appears on HLN, his show on WSB TV in Atlanta is syndicated all overe the country as is his radio show.

3 or 4 years ago, he got into it with Bank of America over an issue involving the arrest of someone who tried to verify the funds for a check and once verified trying to cash the fraudulent check. I do not remember all the details, but Howards issue with the bank revolved around the lack of a method to verify a check and once verified cash it, without getting arrested when the check turned out to be fraudulent, even though the bank verified it. My details are probably shaky here, but the point is, Howard started a campaign against the bank and posted the results daily on his website... over $50 million in deposits was removed from the bank by consumers.

He's a pistol, and right more often than not, but he also provides on his web site a place for listeners/viewers who take issue with him to present their case. He frequently responds to these issues on the air.

He's definitely a different kind of guy.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

Does Dish enforce this "need a phone/net connection" or is it like Directv's don't ask don't tell?

Heavily enforced (which is the problem with Mr Howard). On accounts with several receivers not connected to phone line/internet one can expect the call. And when it comes it is as Mr Howard detailed ... no putting the phone on hold, no help from others in your house, no leway. If you cannot follow the steps requested to read a certain string of numbers off of the system info screen on each receiver that receiver will be disabled. Search for "audit team" in the DISH forums for more horror stories.

I've never received an audit team call but I have had receivers die when their phone connection was lost. I have a couple of receivers that don't get used often that lost their phone connections. I went to use them and found them deauthorized. I ended up fixing the phone lines to get dialtone, forcing a dial out connection and waiting 24 hours to get them running again.

The worst thing is that their best accounts (everything subscribed and lots of receivers) are also the most suspicious. They end up annoying their best customers. I also wonder how many legitimately criminal accounts are found by this method.

This is like WalMart doing pat down searches of their customers as they leave the store to make sure they paid for everything. The more you buy the more likely you'll get a cavity search (and not a pleasant one).

Yes, DISH enforces the phone line rule.

They wouldn't have these issues if they made a new MOCA sytem similiar to SWM. Honestly though thinking that 5 receivers is a lot now days is very behind the times.

DISH knows their average customer better than I do. Their sales website is set up for six tuners in three receivers as a maximum lease. They consider that service to six rooms. I wish they would trust their customers more.

As far as using other means to verify the proximity of receivers if it isn't built into the receivers already in 14 million homes it isn't going to help. If they are going to add technology to let the receivers talk to each other it could be anything ... but until that technology is in new receivers and all receivers are replaced they are stuck with current methods. Phone line and wired internet.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

Who?

A good question. Although he is a public figure with a following I would not expect this to have any major impact on DISH. He's not the kind who will spend now until his dying breath trying to take down DISH Network ... the article was rather cordial. "I left, this is why." More of a disclosure than the beginning of a cause.

It doesn't help DISH ... I suspect DirecTV will use it as fodder in their constant battle for customers.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

Interesting article. Would like to hear DISH"s side of the story. Mr. Howard showed good judgement by "sleeping" on the incident befor making his decision. Personally I think both providers should do away with the need for a phone connection (old technology) and modernize.

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

I occasionally listen to Clark Howard and if I had a company, I wouldn't want him as a customer.

I don't like him at all.

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

Interesting article. Would like to hear DISH"s side of the story. Mr. Howard showed good judgement by "sleeping" on the incident befor making his decision. Personally I think both providers should do away with the need for a phone connection (old technology) and modernize.

Ok - then -
How would YOU then verify that account stacking is not occurring ?
Keep in mind there are over some million older receivers whose only out-of-band communication is phone line.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#15 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

I worked with Clark Howard for several years. He is a very understanding fellow, not easily upset. You would like him if you knew him. If Dish pulled this crap on me, I wouldn't even sleep on it. I'd fire them on the spot.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

DISH Network seems to have adopted an "ablative" stance towards problematic customers: If the customer is not willing to play ball, DISH simply walks away.

Self-righteous people can be very high maintenance.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

Ok - then -
How would YOU then verify that account stacking is not occurring ?
Keep in mind there are over some million older receivers whose only out-of-band communication is phone line.

Ever shop at a Sam's Club? You must show your membership card to enter the store. There are closed circut cameras monitoring the entire store. After you pay for the merchendise you are stopped at the exit where a employee checks the contents of you basket with your receipt. That's a blatant accusation! I have been a DirecTV suscriber since 1995 and have always payed my bill in "full" and on time. When HD became available I upgraded. I was asked if I would still be using my old receiver and stated no. I offered to return the old receiver but they refused. Yet they still enquired if I was still using it. Only when I threatened to terminate my service did the cease. My point is like Mr. Howard no one appreciates being accused of theft. Yes there are millions of older receivers out there and yes there is account stacking going on. But to assume everyone is doing this is ludicrous and insulting!

#18 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Well I guess he showed that company.:rolleyes:

After his "special deals" run out he'll be paying more for his service.:eek2:

Sometimes a person let's their "pride" overload their pocketbook.I've seen it happen so many times before.:nono2:

Chances are good that what Dish thought he was doing? he was doing.;)

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

Chances are good that what Dish thought he was doing? he was doing.;)

Riiiight, I'm sure he's stacking accounts for all his friends. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

Ever shop at a Sam's Club? You must show your membership card to enter the store. There are closed circut cameras monitoring the entire store. After you pay for the merchendise you are stopped at the exit where a employee checks the contents of you basket with your receipt. That's a blatant accusation! I have been a DirecTV suscriber since 1995 and have always payed my bill in "full" and on time. When HD became available I upgraded. I was asked if I would still be using my old receiver and stated no. I offered to return the old receiver but they refused. Yet they still enquired if I was still using it. Only when I threatened to terminate my service did the cease. My point is like Mr. Howard no one appreciates being accused of theft. Yes there are millions of older receivers out there and yes there is account stacking going on. But to assume everyone is doing this is ludicrous and insulting!

Yes I do shop at Sam's, and yes I find the process a bit "insinuating". Trying to shop at an Armed Forces Exchange or Commissary is the same way.

However - you still did not answer the question - What would you do to prevent account stacking ?
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall