Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Clark Howard fires DishNetwork.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Yes I do shop at Sam's, and yes I find the process a bit "insinuating". Trying to shop at an Armed Forces Exchange or Commissary is the same way.

However - you still did not answer the question - What would you do to prevent account stacking ?

If criminals can be monitored with ankle bracelets I'm sure there is other technology for the providers to use. Part of our monthly fees are used for research and developement. The answer lies there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

I've never had a phone line hooked up to either my 622 or 625 since I first became a customer over three years ago. It appears to "not" be a requirement. If I want PPV or other capabilities, I'll use the web site.

#23 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

Yes I do shop at Sam's, and yes I find the process a bit "insinuating". Trying to shop at an Armed Forces Exchange or Commissary is the same way.

However - you still did not answer the question - What would you do to prevent account stacking ?

I believe Dishnetwork is doing it.:)

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

I believe Dishnetwork is doing it.:)

I'd like to know the success ratio.

How many accounts are audited per month?
What percentage end up being 100% cleared (all receivers found and verified)?
What percentage are partial failures (one or more receivers not verified)?
What percentage are verified as stacked accounts?
What percentage of audited accounts cancel within a month? Three months?

I assume DISH has these answers and the audit process is successful enough to keep the team employed and continue the process. I don't know of a better way of verifying receivers other than 1) all connected to the same phone line or 2) the audit process ... although the biggest complaint about the audit process is the harshness of the call. This isn't the greeter counting items on the way out of Sam's Club - this is the greeter checking the UPC on every item to make sure it matches.

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Dish thinks customers take advantage of loopholes to not conform to legal requirements. Why would that be? Oh, pot, kettle.:rolleyes:

By the way, we really need a single forum area to keep tabs on all the lawsuits Charlie has involved his company in. I've lost track of some of them.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

Clark Howard sounds like my kinda guy. My basic rule when dealing with any business is if they make it a hassle to do business with them, I quit doing business with them immediately. No "I'm thinking of cancelling" or other wishy-washy solution.

In the case of the audit team and their abrasive methods, I figure if it happens to me, it will be on my last day with Dish. There won't be writing CEO@ anywhere, no other phone call, no nothing but 'cancel'. Simple and easy.

There are plenty of options to getting plenty of things to watch on the TV, you just don't have to put up with much BS to get it, imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

There are plenty of options to getting plenty of things to watch on the TV, you just don't have to put up with much BS to get it, imo.

For some that's true. I don't have LOS for DirecTV (redwood trees), Comcast doesn't offer enough HD and they're expensive, and the new AT&T (our landline provider) doesn't even offer DSL much less TV signals.

So I'm a little more inclined to use ceo@ for real problems. By the way neither of my ViP's is hooked up to a phone line but both are connected the interwebs.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

In my area, at my house, I have good LOS for both services (actually better for D*), but we have Mediacom for cable.

While I would miss channels if I went to either one, I wouldn't miss them long. Kind of like hanging, if you hang long enough... :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#29 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

This was on Clark Howard's website about how he "fired" dish network.

http://clarkhoward.c...10/08/03/18985/

Never heard of Clark Howard. Who is he?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#30 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Larry Flowers answers that question on page 1 of this thread.

#31 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Never heard of Clark Howard. Who is he?

Check here.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,528 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

I read Mr Howard's post about his "experience"...

I took note that he said that the phone line requirement was "silly"... and that pretty much told me what I needed to know.

He knew he wasn't in compliance and had an attitude about it to boot.

I gather the audit people aren't very friendly... but then neither is a policeman at a traffic stop. I think traffic stops are silly... but I know if I gave lip to a cop and told him I thought it was silly rather than showing my ID, I'd likely create trouble for myself.

This sounds like what happened here... Howard wasn't connected to phone lines (or internet) like he appears to know he should have been... Dish was a little heavy handed... and Howard stirred the pot by giving them a hard time and questioning the terms & conditions he had already agreed to.

It's one thing for a person to have a single receiver not connected... but when you have 5+ receivers and not connected, by that point you know you are bucking the system.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#33 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

They lost him over the audit team.

Which means he has multiple receivers and refuses to connect them to a phone line (or new equipment, an internet line).
He also has five receivers, which makes it more likely that those receivers are on a stacked account.

I don't like the requirement nor the often heavy handed enforcement but he does have an account that raises red flags.

If they had the MRV like D* that was all networked in they could of offered to upgrade him to that for free and then the recievers would of dialed in on their own at least once a month. Still its asking alot to call anyone and just say prove you are complying with our company rules. Landlines are a thing of the past. I dont have one either. My understanding is that TiVO's require a land line. D* is supposed to have a new HD TiVO DVR in the near future and I cant help but wonder if it willl still have land line requirements or if they will change with the times and go to networking or updates the same way as the D* receivers.

I only have one D* receiver out of the 6 networked at my house to but they are all at my house. If they need a way of proving that then its on them to come up with a way. Not to call after shutting off service and say your stealing from us. Could and should of been handled better.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#34 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Well I guess he showed that company.:rolleyes:

After his "special deals" run out he'll be paying more for his service.:eek2:

Sometimes a person let's their "pride" overload their pocketbook.I've seen it happen so many times before.:nono2:

Chances are good that what Dish thought he was doing? he was doing.;)

Right. Because we all know that E* could not be wrong and because Clark has a history of being dishonest. Somtimes its worth paying a little more for a honest or more honorable company providing you with your needs. Even someone like Clark decides what is the best value and its not always the cheapest. BEST VALUE FOR THE MONEY!
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#35 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

I don't know of a better way of verifying receivers other than 1) all connected to the same phone line or 2) the audit process ... although the biggest complaint about the audit process is the harshness of the call. This isn't the greeter counting items on the way out of Sam's Club - this is the greeter checking the UPC on every item to make sure it matches.

Why do you think D* is so pushing MRV? Its mroe money but it also means that all receivers will dial in on the account. That is a better solution. If you are having MRV installed why would you leave it off a receiver? D* provides and or upgrades all receivers to what you need for it to work on every tv in the house. But D* was proactive about it buy building something that covers this issue and the customer does not even have to worry about it.

I understand that both D* and E* want to know where there equipment is and that it is being used correctly and paid for correctly. I for one dont have a problem with that. I also would not like to be called due to suspected stealing. I will give you a perfect example how I could be accused of the same thing.

First off like I said previously I only have 1 of 6 receivers networked for a dial back once a month. I actually only have 4 of the 6 even hooked up. I just bought a owned unit and want to verify it works before sending once back. I keep and pay $5 a month for a spare receiver that is not hooked up. I know call me crazy but its the truth. Eventually my spare will be an owned unit that wont be active on the account until I need it but for now its a leased one.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 OFFLINE   CuriousMark

CuriousMark

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

My understanding is that TiVO's require a land line.

Not for modern units, the Premiere model doesn't even have a modem. Older models can use either phone or internet, and only the very oldest models still need a phone line. That line isn't needed for verification purposes though, it is for the basic functionality of guide download.

D* is supposed to have a new HD TiVO DVR in the near future and I cant help but wonder if it willl still have land line requirements or if they will change with the times and go to networking or updates the same way as the D* receivers.

It will almost surely be like other DirecTV DVRs. Again, only the very oldest models of these actually required a phone connection, and then only to authorize software updates or order PPV.

#37 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

Right. Because we all know that E* could not be wrong and because Clark has a history of being dishonest. Somtimes its worth paying a little more for a honest or more honorable company providing you with your needs. Even someone like Clark decides what is the best value and its not always the cheapest. BEST VALUE FOR THE MONEY!

Actually it was Clark's job to read the Customer(Residential) Agreement.Intelligence is not a excuse to not use common sense.

http://www.dishnetwo...al/default.aspx

Equipment: 4:3.;)

#38 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

I took note that he said that the phone line requirement was "silly"... and that pretty much told me what I needed to know.

I gather the audit people aren't very friendly... but then neither is a policeman at a traffic stop. I think traffic stops are silly... but I know if I gave lip to a cop and told him I thought it was silly rather than showing my ID, I'd likely create trouble for myself.

This sounds like what happened here... Howard wasn't connected to phone lines (or internet) like he appears to know he should have been... Dish was a little heavy handed... and Howard stirred the pot by giving them a hard time and questioning the terms & conditions he had already agreed to.

It's one thing for a person to have a single receiver not connected... but when you have 5+ receivers and not connected, by that point you know you are bucking the system.

Wait a minute. Didnt I read about a year ago where E* offered $5 off if you connected the receiver to a phone line? That to me does not sound like a requirement but rather an enticement to do so. Like I said develop a gameplan like D* where not only do they all dial in but you make even more money for the trouble.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#39 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Actually it was Clark's job to read the Customer(Residential) Agreement.Intelligence is not a excuse to not use common sense.

http://www.dishnetwo...al/default.aspx

Equipment: 4:3.;)

I think you need to read this again.

Telephone/Broadband Connection. To optimize the operation of your Equipment, you must continuously connect each DISH Network receiver on your account to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network. Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network may result in interruption or disconnection of Services. We may charge you a TV2 Receiver Connection Fee for each dual-tuner receiver that is not connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network.

It sounds to me like its saying for each duel tuner receiver. What about receivers that are only 1 tuner? It also says to optimize the operation of your equipment not a full requirement.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#40 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

Think Clark found out,you mess with the bull, you get the horns!.:eek2:;)

spam firewall