Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Clark Howard fires DishNetwork.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

I think you need to read this again.

Telephone/Broadband Connection. To optimize the operation of your Equipment, you must continuously connect each DISH Network receiver on your account to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network. Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network may result in interruption or disconnection of Services. We may charge you a TV2 Receiver Connection Fee for each dual-tuner receiver that is not connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network.

It sounds to me like its saying for each duel tuner receiver. What about receivers that are only 1 tuner? It also says to optimize the operation of your equipment not a full requirement.

This is the statement that everyone should read:

Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network may result in interruption or disconnection of Services.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network may result in interruption or disconnection of Services.:)

Key words...MAY RESULT. No very good word choice.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#43 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Key words...MAY RESULT. No very good word choice.

Maybe but there it is in black and white.:)

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

Maybe but there it is in black and white.:)

Seems gray, to me. Black & white would be, "Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network will result in interruption or disconnection of Services.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   PEARLTONE

PEARLTONE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Telephone/Broadband Connection. To optimize the operation of your Equipment, you must continuously connect each DISH Network receiver on your account to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network. Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network may result in interruption or disconnection of Services. We may charge you a TV2 Receiver Connection Fee for each dual-tuner receiver that is not connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network.

It sounds to me like its saying for each duel tuner receiver. What about receivers that are only 1 tuner? It also says to optimize the operation of your equipment not a full requirement.

"To optimize the operation of your equipment " ??? yea right, why dont they just say they want to know where the boxes are i can call or use the website to order any PPV i want

shows how stupid they are messing with this guy and getting bad publicity, ..............remember you have people looking to join who do not want to be hassled by DN and wont join

#46 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Seems gray, to me. Black & white would be, "Failure to connect each receiver to the same land-based telephone line and/or a broadband home network will result in interruption or disconnection of Services.

Well you would have to argue the fact with Dishnetwork's lawyers(I'm sure they wrote it),the fact here is Clark Howard was wrong he didn't read the customer agreement.But it doesn't matter Clark went else where,but after Clark's "special deals" ends I'm sure it will matter(I hear he's tight with a buck!).;):D

#47 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

"To optimize the operation of your equipment " ??? yea right, why dont they just say they want to know where the boxes are i can call or use the website to order any PPV i want

shows how stupid they are messing with this guy and getting bad publicity, ..............remember you have people looking to join who do not want to be hassled by DN and wont join

Or they will be like me,join and keep everything hooked up cause it says to.:)

#48 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thats right. May not saying it is a requirement. Also does not say that they will treat you with disrespect about it and as if you are stealing something either. May result in something is not a requirement. A requirement would be for sure if you dont do this then this is what will happen.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#49 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Or they will be like me,join and keep everything hooked up cause it says to.:)

Suggestions and company policies are different things. I think you need to learn the difference.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

How about this bit from page six? (Emphasis added.)

B. Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may choose to allow you to place additional receivers on your account. If we allow you to do so, each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver, subject to the limitations of your television equipment. All of your receivers must be located at the same residence and continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If you wish to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location, unless otherwise specifically authorized by Dish Network. You may not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

http://www.dishnetwo...s/legal/RCA.pdf

#51 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

A typical Clarke Howard spin, but I'm more inclined to believe that he quit rather than (not then) get fired. He lives in his own frugal little world.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#52 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Broadband home network does not necessarily imply an internet connection, unless it is defined as such in the same contract. My 722 is connected to the same 100 Mb network that my home computers are.

My network is not connected to the internet during Mediacom's frequent service interruptions.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#53 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

How about this bit from page six? (Emphasis added.)

B. Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may choose to allow you to place additional receivers on your account. If we allow you to do so, each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver, subject to the limitations of your television equipment. All of your receivers must be located at the same residence and continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If you wish to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location, unless otherwise specifically authorized by Dish Network. You may not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

http://www.dishnetwo...s/legal/RCA.pdf

That one is a little more clear but also states what will happen if all receivers are not located at the same location. Im not saying what he did was perfectly correct but this clearly shows that their procedure is outdated. When I recently moved it was going to cost me nearly $200 to have them wire my house for a home phone. No way am I going to do that. Cell phones are the future. With the times being tuff people are not gonna pay for both. I also mentioned earlier didnt E* offer $5 off for additional receivers having phone lines hooked to them? Sounds like a way to entice a customer to do just that. I highly doubt every tech verified a working phone line was active on the account before leaving.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#54 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I'm guessing that the multiple receiver part of this, is the main issue here.

When I was considering getting Dish, I was concerned about connecting my main receiver to either a phone line, or the internet, as I did not feel that I had an easy connection to either from my home theater room.

My installer, whom I feel was very up front, and truthful, said that not connecting, to either of these options, would only be a problem if I wanted to order ppv movies, from the receiver, or needed diagnostics done, in real time, by Dish. The only item Dish imposed for not having the connection(s)was the $5 charge for TV2, which was regularly credited by virtue of having the particular package I have.

All that I have heard, or read (including the "encouragement" to get connected to a phone line in my receiver's manual), has suggested that the ethernet/phone connection was not an absolute requirement to be a Dish subscriber.

In any event, if Dish provided my 722 with a wireless LAN adapter, for my home network, I would have no objection to "hooking up". I simply never did it because it wasn't a quick, simple, cost-free task to do.

#55 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm guessing that the multiple receiver part of this, is the main issue here.

When I was considering getting Dish, I was concerned about connecting my main receiver to either a phone line, or the internet, as I did not feel that I had an easy connection to either from my home theater room.

My installer, whom I feel was very up front, and truthful, said that not connecting, to either of these options, would only be a problem if I wanted to order ppv movies, from the receiver, or needed diagnostics done, in real time, by Dish. The only item Dish imposed for not having the connection(s)was the $5 charge for TV2, which was regularly credited by virtue of having the particular package I have.

All that I have heard, or read (including the "encouragement" to get connected to a phone line in my receiver's manual), has suggested that the ethernet/phone connection was not an absolute requirement to be a Dish subscriber.

In any event, if Dish provided my 722 with a wireless LAN adapter, for my home network, I would have no objection to "hooking up". I simply never did it because it wasn't a quick, simple, cost-free task to do.

Thats the point right there. If you want something like this to be a requirement then give customers a reason to want to do it. In the past it was a $5 discount but that is not worth it to some. Now D* came up with the ultimate way to do it. I bet D* is having more receivers dial in now then ever before and it will only get better with having the MRV option. E* is not overly worried about people watching tv from somewhere other then their home they pay for service or they would not be offering a slingloaded reciever.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#56 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

If the unnamed "other provider" he's using now is DirecTV, I hope Howard read their Customer Agreement. :-)

-- Roger

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

That one is a little more clear but also states what will happen if all receivers are not located at the same location.

Parse the words correctly ... the receivers must be at the same residential location AND connected to the same phone line. Violate either and one has violated the terms of the contract.

DISH offers a discount to people who have multiple receivers. Instead of having a separate account for each receiver one can (at DISH's option) place additional receivers on one account. Even with the most expensive receivers this discount can save a customer $90 per additional receiver.

I also mentioned earlier didn't E* offer $5 off for additional receivers having phone lines hooked to them? Sounds like a way to entice a customer to do just that. I highly doubt every tech verified a working phone line was active on the account before leaving.

The discount was given if receivers "phoned home". If the dual tuner receivers failed to phone home the discount for each of those receivers would be removed.

Failure to enforce in the past doesn't change the fact the rule exists. As Mr Howard noted, this recent call was his second contact from the audit team. They had enforced the phone line rule on his account before. And there are posts on DBSTalk going back before I joined complaining about the audit team.

The rule is nothing new. The enforcement is nothing new.

#58 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

The rule is nothing new. The enforcement is nothing new.

I think we are in agreement James. He did violate the terms to a degree and E* verified they have severly oudated terms. I do have to ask though what your thoughts are on this. So he had 5 receivers. Does E* want to flip the bill to run phone lines to all those rooms or ethernet cables? Give some options. Its not cheap to have the phone company do it. Its not cheap to buy wireless phone jacks to do it yourself and its not always easy to just wire it up yourself either. If its a requirement that it has to be done then offer a way to get it done. The only way I currently think E* offers to do that is the wireless phone jacks. Here is the link: http://www.dishnetwo...es/default.aspx

$39.99 for a setup of one receiver. Then you would need the additional add on's for the other 4 receivers. Sounds like alot of customer cost to me. Offer something like MRV for a fee that takes care of it. I also didnt hear a response to E* not being overly concerned about its customers watching tv from somewhere other then their own home since they are now offering slingloaded receivers. Seems a but unfair really. I for one am glad to say that I am not a Dish Network customer!
Sony KDL-46HX800

#59 OFFLINE   PEARLTONE

PEARLTONE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

That one is a little more clear but also states what will happen if all receivers are not located at the same location. Im not saying what he did was perfectly correct but this clearly shows that their procedure is outdated. When I recently moved it was going to cost me nearly $200 to have them wire my house for a home phone. No way am I going to do that. Cell phones are the future. With the times being tuff people are not gonna pay for both. I also mentioned earlier didnt E* offer $5 off for additional receivers having phone lines hooked to them? Sounds like a way to entice a customer to do just that. I highly doubt every tech verified a working phone line was active on the account before leaving.

thank you sir well said

you cant have a phone line in every room, and some people dont have an internet line in their home, if they own a laptop with wireless service so how the hell are you going to have them hooked up, i have a buddy who gets phone calls about it all the time, all he tells them is "send the phone company here to hook everything up, pay the bill, and i will hook up the line"

#60 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

I object strenously to the "it's too expensive to run phone lines / ethernet to every room I want a receiver in". It is just NOT that hard - because you have to run coax to all those rooms as well. If you don't want to pay the freight - then don't get the extra receivers. Simple.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...