Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Clark Howard fires DishNetwork.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

I have a phone line and wired ethernet near enough to use at every receiver location. It is possible.

#62 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

Saying "may result" instead of "will result" allows Dish the leeway to not kick someone off IF that person complies with the audit. Otherwise, there would be no point in an audit, and as soon as you weren't connected to the phone line then Dish would just automatically kick you out.

This means, if your power was out and your phone was out... bye bye Dish.

The "may result" allows for discretion if the person can pass the audit and/or connects the receivers again.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#63 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,731 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

If criminals can be monitored with ankle bracelets I'm sure there is other technology for the providers to use. Part of our monthly fees are used for research and developement. The answer lies there.

I didn't ask "What Dish should do" - I asked "What would YOU DO in this situation". I'm waiting for an answer that doesn't involve phoneline, internet or an audit team like they are doing now, and is readily adaptable / inexpensive to implement to all those legacy receivers.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#64 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

Suggestions and company policies are different things. I think you need to learn the difference.

Not me I know the difference that's why all my Dishnetwork receivers are connected.:)

#65 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

After reading the article again and so many standing firm on what the terms of service are, why does the article say E* reactivated the receivers? If its the rules wouldn't they just say no till he hooked up a phone line? If E* themselves are not gonna uphold the standard why herass people about it then? Sounds like a big waste of time & a great way to tick off a good customer.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:30 AM

After reading the article again and so many standing firm on what the terms of service are, why does the article say E* reactivated the receivers? If its the rules wouldn't they just say no till he hooked up a phone line? If E* themselves are not gonna uphold the standard why herass people about it then? Sounds like a big waste of time & a great way to tick off a good customer.

Disobeying the contract "may result" in disconnection and/or being charged full price for services. (Yes, if DISH determines that the receivers are in separate locations they can bill for a full price subscription for each receiver.)

DISH is in no way obligated to permanently disconnect the receivers. It is their option.

BTW: How does this affect you? Have you ever had your receivers disconnected by DISH for not being connected to a phone line? As noted in an early post in this thread, I have. (Wiring problems, not non-compliance.) The people in this thread who have accepted the terms of the contract seem to understand what it means.

#67 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

After reading the article again and so many standing firm on what the terms of service are, why does the article say E* reactivated the receivers? If its the rules wouldn't they just say no till he hooked up a phone line? If E* themselves are not gonna uphold the standard why harass people about it then? Sounds like a big waste of time & a great way to tick off a good customer.

The only way to know, is hope Clark Howard signs up for DirecTV,then we will see what a "good customer" he is.:eek2::rolleyes:

"Uh sorry Mr.Howard you know that DVR we had to replace a few months ago"?."Well it looks like your now under a new 24 month contract"!.:contract:;)

#68 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

The only way to know, is hope Clark Howard signs up for DirecTV,then we will see what a "good customer" he is.:eek2::rolleyes:

"Uh sorry Mr.Howard you know that DVR we had to replace a few months ago"?."Well it looks like your now under a new 24 month contract"!.:contract:;)

They say sorry now? :hurah:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#69 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

They say sorry now? :hurah:

Yea I know I stretched it a bit.;):D

#70 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Disobeying the contract "may result" in disconnection and/or being charged full price for services. (Yes, if DISH determines that the receivers are in separate locations they can bill for a full price subscription for each receiver.)

DISH is in no way obligated to permanently disconnect the receivers. It is their option.

BTW: How does this affect you? Have you ever had your receivers disconnected by DISH for not being connected to a phone line? As noted in an early post in this thread, I have. (Wiring problems, not non-compliance.) The people in this thread who have accepted the terms of the contract seem to understand what it means.

You didnt answer the question. If its the rules then why reactivate the receivers? You all were so bent on the fact that Clark violated terms of service agreement. If he did then E* is not putting alot of emphasis on following the rules if they just reactivate them. There seemed to be a constant he didnt follow what the rules are. If you are gonna say he didnt then you have to say E* didnt either.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#71 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

A replacement does not start a new 2 year commitment. It does happen by accident from time to time but there is no audit department houding people calling them a thief. If I ever have to have one replaced I will be following up on it within the next week. Any errors will get corrected fast.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#72 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

You didnt answer the question. If its the rules then why reactivate the receivers? You all were so bent on the fact that Clark violated terms of service agreement. If he did then E* is not putting alot of emphasis on following the rules if they just reactivate them. There seemed to be a constant he didnt follow what the rules are. If you are gonna say he didnt then you have to say E* didnt either.

You seem to be having a comprehension problem with the terms & conditions.

"Failure to connect may result..." so, Dish has it in their discretion to decide what to do.

IF this was the first time Mr Howard had been found in violation, and he did pass the audit on the phone... then Dish usually reactivates the receivers and drops the issue.

IF it keeps happening, then they would start to suspect something else going on... and likely would not keep reactivating the receivers if they continued to be not-connected to phone lines.

Why do police sometimes issue warnings instead of always writing tickets for moving violations? Because sometimes they pull over a person who isn't a repeat offender, and the person seems to understand the mistake OR be genuinely unaware of the specific violation... and the officer has it in his discretion to apply the law 100% literally, or issue a warning.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#73 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

[quote name='Stewart Vernon']You seem to be having a comprehension problem with the terms & conditions.

"Failure to connect may result..." so, Dish has it in their discretion to decide what to do.

[QUOTE]

I would have to say that the agreement terms are also a little wishy washy. That first section says for optimal viewing or something of that nature. Then below it acts as though its required. The point about E* wasnt that they could turn it back on it was that the rule said he needed a phone line. He obviously did not have one on before during and after the call but yet they chose to turn it back on again anyways. I didnt read that it said he was going to add phone lines. If it is against the rules then its against the rules. As for your cop comparison then I would have to say if someone got pulled over for speeding and did or didnt get a ticket either way but got back in their car and the driver sped off again speeding right that second do you think the cop would give them a ticket to enforce their position?

It appeared to me that Clark had no intention of hooking phone lines to the receivers. So its pretty simple E* either accepted that fact and said okay which it appeared they did or they say no and do not reactivate them. What part of that dont you get?

Also if he is a repeat offender for this then why again did they agree to turn the receivers back on. The only reason I jumped on this was all the E* lovers seemed so quick to say that Clark did something wrong. If its wrong then E*'s policy is to say okay and turn them back on? I guess they told him didnt they. They told him what the requirements were and he said im not going to do it and they said okay and reactivated them again.

Edited by joshjr, 05 August 2010 - 01:05 PM.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#74 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

I have 2 connected via internet and 1 connected by phone and 1 not connected at all. No problem with an audit call unless they get my wife instead of me. She would never be able to get the Home Theater fired up to be able to read back the numbers although that receiver is connected via internet. In an audit do they check all receivers or just those not connected?
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#75 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,731 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Your example is why I have it super easy setup for my wife - all she has to do is turn on TV then cycle through the channels until she finds the right one. (and the right remote for that receiver).

Doyle - it would be best to get them all connected somehow, as I think they go through all of them, and they don't give her time to call you . I would also consider doing a setup that she just turns on the TV /satellite receiver and either flips through inputs or changes channels to find that one. IF you can - I'd even consider a Harmony remote that can auto turn on everything needed with an easy to use macro :D

Edited by scooper, 05 August 2010 - 01:51 PM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#76 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately it is not a regular TV. It is an Electrohome 3 gun CRT projector and has various inputs connected through an RGBHV switcher. The whole process involves multiple remotes and manual operations to lower the screen, turn on the equipment and manually select the Sat Receiver input on the switcher. As a result, she doesn't watch that setup unless I am there. That is the reason for one of the other receivers that is for her TV in the family room. (1 remote and as straightforward as I can make it) Seems to me they can see that 3 receivers are connected and they should be able to see that without having to manually check them. It is a real pain to connect the last one as it is a 311 and only has phone line connection capability and no phone line anywhere near it. It doesn't have an RJ45 Internet jack. It they want to turn that one off on me I guess I can live without it as it is the least used in the house.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#77 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

I would have to say that the agreement terms are also a little wishy washy.

Perhaps if you had agreed to them and were not just here to find fault with them your opinion would be different.

As for your cop comparison then I would have to say if someone got pulled over for speeding and did or didnt get a ticket either way but got back in their car and the driver sped off again speeding right that second do you think the cop would give them a ticket to enforce their position?

Probably. In DISH's case they would call again when they noticed that phone lines were still not connected. As they did in Mr Howard's case. This was his second audit call.

#78 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Too Funny! The Clark Howard thread gets Amazon promos on the banner for Clark Howard's books. ROTFL
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

spam firewall