Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New SD versions of HD channels

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

Noticed in my guide that HDNMV ch. 383 now is also an SD channel on 391. And MGM ch. 385 is also an SD channel on 386.

I must have missed that announcement. Not sure why DISH did this. Wasn't that 361-389 block supposed to be HD only?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

Free preview

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Been there for almost a whole month now.

#4 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

Been there for almost a whole month now.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/preview

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Higley

Doug Higley

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

MGM is bogus with crappy commercials like magic jack. meh.

#6 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

I like MGM. Only one commercial per movie is tolerable, and the HD quality seems better than most. However, I currently subscribe to the middle tier in SD and would not pay $20 more to just get MGM (I don't care about the other channels in this package)

Wilf

#7 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

I like MGM. Only one commercial per movie is tolerable, and the HD quality seems better than most. However, I currently subscribe to the middle tier in SD and would not pay $20 more to just get MGM (I don't care about the other channels in this package)

Wilf

Platinum Package is only $10, not $20. Epix1,Epix2,Retro,Indie,MGM, plus a few of the others make it worth the $10.

#8 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

One cannot subscribe to the Platinum package without paying for the HD version of the middle tier (or whatever tier). Thus, in my case, it is 20 bucks. If it were just $10, I would be tempted.

Wilf

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

One cannot subscribe to the Platinum package without paying for the HD version of the middle tier (or whatever tier). Thus, in my case, it is 20 bucks. If it were just $10, I would be tempted.

With "Free HD for Life" there is no charge for the basic $10 HD package ... but you do have to make a commitment and use autopay and paperless billing - or pay a one time $99 fee.

#10 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Or have been on top of things and got the free platinum they had for the last promotion. Those customers are grandfathered to "Free HD For Life" without having to do a thing on their end.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Or have been on top of things and got the free platinum they had for the last promotion. Those customers are grandfathered to "Free HD For Life" without having to do a thing on their end.

We're more than two months past that deadline ... a bit late for the could have/should haves.

#12 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Wilf

Remember in the beginning of June, Dish started the "Free HD for Life" National promo, for New subs and current subs.
So Platinum is only $10. I realize you missed the chance or didn't want to combine Platinum and HD for $10 last August, all the way thru to May(2010) , as it wasn't a promo, that was meant only for new subs, but Current subs were also able to get it as well. It just wasn't marketed it to Current subs.

The new Promo, has been going on since June, its been on TV, Newspapers, and has been talked about since April/May on this website, and marketed to all Subs, and I didn't realize you didn't know about it.

#13 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

With "Free HD for Life" there is no charge for the basic $10 HD package ... but you do have to make a commitment and use autopay and paperless billing - or pay a one time $99 fee.

But I sleep better if I don't give in to autopay <VBG>!

Wilf

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

That's the $99 option ... pay $99 and you can get Free HD for the life of your account without the other restrictions/commitments. One can also pay $10 per month for basic HD if neither offer is acceptable.

DISH gives you the option!

#15 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Wilf

Pay the one time $99 fee, no commitment, no autopay, not paperless, and break even in 10 months. HD Free for life.

#16 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

Wilf

I hear this all the time and have never understood it. I put all my regular bills on either auto debit to my checking account or to a credit card in the early 90's. I traveled a lot on business and it just made things simpler. I have never had a problem with any company, including DISH. But if there were a problem the bills are issued 2 or 3 weeks before the due date when the payment is taken. Plenty of time to resolve errors. And in the case of DISH it's a charge to a credit card so I could also file a complaint with the card issuer and have it put on hold until resolved.

spam firewall