Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baseball Ticket Prices; Why I went to so many games as a kid

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Found this today when going through some old stuff....

Box Seats: $7 regular price
General Admission: $3

Last Friday Night, I dropped: $25 each ticket for the cheapest ones in the park (then moved down closer to the plate, but still way up in the upper deck).

$30 to park the car

$40 in food and drink. (Two Drinks, Two Hot Dogs, a Cheeseburger and a Frozen Chill)

And that was for just two people (My Son and I)

I now know why, my entire baseball team could go to a game a week, and my dad (or my friend's dad) could take us to a couple games a WEEK.

Attached Thumbnails

• sox.jpg

Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

My dad and I used to go a few times a summer when I was a kid and sit in the third base box seats. At the time, my dad worked on the line at GM and we lived paycheck to paycheck. But we could afford baseball tickets occasionally.

I haven't purchased a ticket to a sporting event in years and I won't have that same experience with my kids. It's just too damn expensive

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Box Seats: $7 Nice!

My last beer at Dodger stadium was $7.

Time sure does fly. I still remember my very first ballgame at Fenway Park.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Found this today when going through some old stuff....

Box Seats: $7 regular price
General Admission: $3

Last Friday Night, I dropped: $25 each ticket for the cheapest ones in the park (then moved down closer to the plate, but still way up in the upper deck).

$30 to park the car

$40 in food and drink. (Two Drinks, Two Hot Dogs, a Cheeseburger and a Frozen Chill)

And that was for just two people (My Son and I)

I now know why, my entire baseball team could go to a game a week, and my dad (or my friend's dad) could take us to a couple games a WEEK.

Same can be said for going to a movie!

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

+1 Earl.

I went to a lot of Dodgers games as a kid. Some came from being a good student - I got two tickets for free (with the offer to buy more for the rest of the family) for four games a year. And these were good, lower level seats.

But even if we paid for four tickets, as a family we'd would go to Dodgers games, sometimes on decision made that day. It was cheap family entertainment.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

Baseball tickets have far exceeded the inflation rate. The $3.50 box seats at Shea and Yankee stadiums of 1969 should cost $25 today. Other sports have kept in line with inflation; baseball has rocketed past it.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#7 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Unfortunately the Cubs losing habits are now the same as they were back in the good old days. Although 1969 was fun to watch them until September. My folks took my brother and I to several series that year including a series against Atlanta in August where I saw Kenny Holtzman throw a no-hitter. Still have that ticket stub too.

#8 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

I love that old White Sox logo. I remember screen printing it in school for an art project.

GO Sox!!!

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

I don't go to many MLB games myself (though the Reds have sold out recently), but this is why I go to many more minor league games. This past season, I was at the championship game when our ECHL hockey team won the Kelley Cup. Tickets were $14, and that gets you fairly close (the more expensive VIP seats are too close for me.)

#10 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

When I was growing up we (myself, brother,friend) took the Greyhound bus from our smaller town to Milwaukee for a bunch of summer day games and bleacher seats were $ .50 :grin:

That was about 1964/1965

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

The last major league game I was at (1987) was a Minnesota Twins game and I paid $9.00 for a seat directly behind the catcher and about 1/3 of the way up (I believe they called it the club section).
Growing up that same $9.00 would get me a good seat into a Tucson Toro's minor league game plus a program, hot dog and a Pepsi.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

I went to White Sox at Seattle game last year. Sat directly behind the plate about 20 rows up. Cost? $30.

Same seats here in Philly would be about $100 each.

#13 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

The last few time I have had tickets, Cardinals & Reds and Colts, I gave them away. While there is nothing like "being there" I would just as soon stay home and watch it on my big screen.

#14 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Same can be said for going to a movie!

I spent $17 just for admission for 2 people last weekend. Kinda makes the $5.99 cinema movies seem cheap...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#15 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

I was lucky enough to get tickets for the 1975 World Series game 5, Reds vs Red Sox at Riverfront Stadium. I still have the ticket stub. Cost was $8.00.

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

I was lucky enough to get tickets for the 1975 World Series game 5, Reds vs Red Sox at Riverfront Stadium. I still have the ticket stub. Cost was $8.00.

That wouldn't even cover the "program" at the World Series now.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:38 AM

I don't go to many MLB games myself (though the Reds have sold out recently), but this is why I go to many more minor league games. This past season, I was at the championship game when our ECHL hockey team won the Kelley Cup. Tickets were $14, and that gets you fairly close (the more expensive VIP seats are too close for me.)

I'm so jealous of cities that have minor league hockey or baseball. Great fun at a fraction of the cost. Here in Orlando we have but one sport and it's one I don't even like. Hershey Bears hockey in my youth I could practically be standing on the ice for $5. Going to the Rays in St. Pete isn't to bad, I can get us in decent seats (lower level) for about $15 (thanks to Stubhub) each, free parking as long as we have 4 or more people.

#18 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

Curse you Bears! You knocked my Monarchs out of the Calder Cup playoffs!

I had FANTASTIC seats for Game 5 in Manchester (Hershey winning in overtime) and it was a VERY good game to watch.

Conversely, the last time I was at Fenway Park (courtesy of my employer) was for $26 deep right field bleacher seats against the Angels and I got to see the infamous double play that got Manny Ramirez run out of town (grounder to third, 3B has a little trouble fielding it, throws to second to barely beat the runner who relays to first and beat Manny by leagues - Manny did barely more than a walk down the line when he should have EASILY beaten the relay throw and kept the inning going).

Guess where I keep going?

#19 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

I've got an old ticket stub from 1993. The print on the ticket has just about faded. I only paid $3.00 back in 93 to sit in the outfield bleachers at Wrigley. $3. And back then I rode the "EL" to Wrigley and it only cost me about .75 cents for a "EL" Train ticket to get to the ballgame. I went back in 2001 where that ticket stub still has the print on it and it was $32 back in 2001. I since do not live in Chicago anymore. 9 years later i'm guessing tickets are about $50 dollars a pop or more now. But yes Baseball's best days for fans are behind us. Ticket prices everywhere have sky rocketed. Another 10 years and baseball ticket prices will be up there with NFL ticket prices and then noone will be able to afford to go to any games.

#20 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

Another 10 years and baseball ticket prices will be up there with NFL ticket prices and then noone will be able to afford to go to any games.

I have much less of an issue with NFL tickets being as costly as they are (but I do think they should be much lower still).

With the NFL, there is only 8 home games (if you exclude pre-season and playoffs). 8 chances for about 480,000 - 800,000 times the turnstile

Baseball: 81 Home games anywhere from 2,800,000 - 4,500,000 opportunities for the turnstile to rotate.

Given that on a baseball team: it has HALF the players.

This doesn't even cover the "parking" that has 10 times the opportunities to drive in revenue... 10 times the opportunity to drive in concession and souvinere sales.

For football you just don't have that many opportunities to see your home team in person... it isn't a diluted (IMHO).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...