Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baseball Ticket Prices; Why I went to so many games as a kid

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,098 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

$38.00 X 5 this past week....plus of course.....parking and food.

$300+

Not cheap.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

The Giants this year (I Think it was this year, anyway) switched their entire pricing structure to "Market Rate" pricing.

In years past, we'd catch a game or two a year, because the bleacher seats - which are actually really decent seats at AT&T park - were only $17. This year, those tickets are anywhere from $9 to $55, IIRC. If they're playing a crappy team, the tickets are cheaper, but if they're playing a team you actually want to watch, you have to pay these outrageous prices.... And it's the same all over the ballpark, not just these seats. So, for instance, a Giants-Dodgers game, they're charging 2 & 3 times the normal price for every seat in the joint!

Good news is that the Oakland Athletics are just about the same drive from my house and their tickets are still dirt cheap - the advantages of having a crappy team playing in a dump of a stadium! I think you can sit 10 rows (or so) from the field for $35 or so!
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#23 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

$38.00 X 5 this past week....plus of course.....parking and food.

$300+

Not cheap.

And at $38.00 a ticket, you probably would have had a better "view" in front of the TV
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

Here's a laugh.. I read a story from the 1970s or so that predicted an unusual outcome of the increasing rights fees (peanuts by today's standards) for television.

They actually predicted that, eventually, the teams would get so much money from television (which came true) that they would be giving away tickets for free as they wouldn't need that revenue stream but WOULD need to show people in the stands. In other words, going to a ballgame would be like going to a TV show taping.

#25 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

I remember going to the Yankee Stadium and sitting in the bleachers for 50 cent. Micky Mantle hit one over our head.

#26 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

I remember 75 cents. But box seats were $3.50. And there were plenty of them available.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

Protected By... spam firewall...And...