Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Not happy at all

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

Well, here I am in the middle of my appointment time of 8-12 and I just got my first call from Directv saying that due to a national shortage of equipment they need to reschedule my installation for next week. I am waiting for a call back from a supervisor.

I have to say that I am seriously ticked off. I had to take off work to be home for this, and cannot very well do it again next week. I was taking advantage of a joint deal between Costco and Directv that if I buy a TV from Costco and sign up for Directv I would get a total of $250 in Costco cards. But only if I activate service within 30 days. Well, I ordered on 7/11 and still have not had service installed and activated.

I mean did they just figure out in the middle of my appointment window that they were not going to have equipment for me!?

I am strongly considering canceling this whole deal and returning the TV to Costco while I still can.

Sorry to rant here, but this sucks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Well, here I am in the middle of my appointment time of 8-12 and I just got my first call from Directv saying that due to a national shortage of equipment they need to reschedule my installation for next week. I am waiting for a call back from a supervisor.

I have to say that I am seriously ticked off. I had to take off work to be home for this, and cannot very well do it again next week. I was taking advantage of a joint deal between Costco and Directv that if I buy a TV from Costco and sign up for Directv I would get a total of $250 in Costco cards. But only if I activate service within 30 days. Well, I ordered on 7/11 and still have not had service installed and activated.

I mean did they just figure out in the middle of my appointment window that they were not going to have equipment for me!?

I am strongly considering canceling this whole deal and returning the TV to Costco while I still can.

It's understandable that you would be upset. One thing that may help is that a missed appointment will often get you a credit up to $100. Call Directv and see what they will do for you. Also, mention the time lag and your concerns regarding it.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

He can call, but I don't think they consider what was stated above as a "missed appointment" since they called and explained why it would not happen.

one.person, can you talk to someone at Costco and see if/how DirecTV's pushing out your install date will affect your deal.

The worst part is the finding time to take off work - sorry, can't help you with that one. Is a weekend install a possibility?

Oh, and welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

#4 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

It's a bad show all round - it's one thing for them to cancel the day before, another thing to do so in the middle of the 'window'. I'd certainly talk to Costco - their member service is usually pretty helpful, they may be able to do something for you.

#5 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

...it's one thing for them to cancel the day before, another thing to do so in the middle of the 'window'.

This is the main thing for me. Had they called me yesterday, I could have worked today and taken a day off next week. I would have been disappointed, but it would have been workable. Now they have caused me to lose an entire day's worth of wages, which is not a measly sum. Having taken today off, I simply cannot do it next week. My wife has tomorrow off, but that's it. Unless they can get it done this weekend, and compensate me somehow for the lost time at work, this thing is probably going to fall apart.

I'd certainly talk to Costco - their member service is usually pretty helpful, they may be able to do something for you.

Fortunately Costco will let me return the TV. After looking further at the rebate form that I picked up there, it is actually a Directv rebate, not a Costco one. So really all Costco can do is take the TV back. I am glad I at least have that option. I am also glad that I am satisfied with my cable/Tivo combination that I currently have. The rebate deal seemed like a decent excuse to go ahead and get the second TV I had been thinking about for a while, and DVR service between the two was just icing on the cake.

2 hours and counting and still no supervisor call.....

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

If you decide to keep the install try for a weekend install. When I got my dish upgrade I scheduled a Saturday install. Some places even do Sunday installs. Especially this time of year which is by far the busiest due to NFL Sunday Ticket. Some areas might already be booked up the whole month.

And try to be the first install of the day, that way you're first and you won't have to wait around while they are "behind" at someone else's place.

#7 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

He can call, but I don't think they consider what was stated above as a "missed appointment" since they called and explained why it would not happen.

Maybe, but it sure qualifies as missed in my book. I would call and see what they will do for you, one.person.

#8 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Still no call from a supervisor. I just left a message at the number they called me from earlier, which apparently is their local installation center.

This is positively atrocious customer service. I cannot believe this is how potential customers are treated.

#9 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Wait'll you become a "long time customer". Then the service gets REALLY good ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

I understand your frustrations but just make sure you focus your anger in the right direction.

The installers/company that are doing your install have NO control over how much equipment we get delivered. We even ration what we do get on a work order only basis. This means every tech has to come in every day to get HD's and HD-DVR's. Most days there is NONE, ZILCH, ZERO to be issued. We are losing money.

D* needs to stop scheduling more work then they have the equipment for.

Our last shipment of HD-DVR's contained approximately 350 HD-DVR's for 100 techs and multiple subpartners.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

one.person, you should seriously consider not going with DirecTV.

While I won't try to defend them - they should have called yesterday or before to cancel - if you are this totally bent out of shape by them calling saying they can't show up, think of how you'd feel if you got this service and had still had a two year commitment to the company to complete.

Cut your loses while you can. Or as I often say, you should be entertained by your entertainment.

I'm serious about this. After today, why would you put yourself through all of this turmoil to go with DirecTV?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

I understand your frustrations but just make sure you focus your anger in the right direction.

The installers/company that are doing your install have NO control over how much equipment we get delivered. We even ration what we do get on a work order only basis. This means every tech has to come in every day to get HD's and HD-DVR's. Most days there is NONE, ZILCH, ZERO to be issued. We are losing money.

D* needs to stop scheduling more work then they have the equipment for.

Our last shipment of HD-DVR's contained approximately 350 HD-DVR's for 100 techs and multiple subpartners.

I have no way of knowing where to "focus my anger." No matter who dropped the ball, the fact is no one bothered to call until well into the installation appointment window to inform me there was no equipment to install. That is unacceptable. This shows a complete disregard and lack of respect for the value of their customer's time.

How could they not anticipate this situation even 1 day ahead of time and call me?!

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

How could they not anticipate this situation even 1 day ahead of time and call me?!

The tech might not of known he didn't have whatever he needed until you were next. My Dad was a pool tech & some days he would get his days schedule & go to the warehouse for a part, but they're out. Got to reschedule...you must realize you're not the only customer.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

I'm serious about this. After today, why would you put yourself through all of this turmoil to go with DirecTV?

Let's be clear, I am not putting myself through anything. All I did was order a service, waited several weeks for it, and then arranged my schedule to accommodate the installation time.

It is still possible for them to make this right. If a supervisor were to call me up, take responsibility, guarantee installation within the 30 day timeframe the rebate requires, and offer some concession for my trouble (such as a service credit as mentioned above), I would certainly proceed with the service I ordered. I am a reasonable person and understand that mistakes get made, but so far, no one at Directv has bothered to offer any explanation whatever.

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Calm down before you act. First learn from your mistake. Never use a second party to aquire a service. As for the tv if you are sastified with it then keep it. Save yourself the hassle of returning it. As for your appointment being canceled the last minute well that's plain wrong. I think the blame for that lies with the installer and not DirecTV. Keep them informed of your situation. Request a weekend install for your next appointment. DirecTV will make this right for you. They really have the best satellite service available. Don't wait for the supervisor to call you. "He who hesitates looses"

#16 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

one.person, you should seriously consider not going with DirecTV.

While I won't try to defend them - they should have called yesterday or before to cancel - if you are this totally bent out of shape by them calling saying they can't show up, think of how you'd feel if you got this service and had still had a two year commitment to the company to complete.

Cut your loses while you can. Or as I often say, you should be entertained by your entertainment.

Logical as usual Mr. Spock :D:D
I agree, if it sucks at the start just imagine how bad it might get when the deal is sealed. I have had mostly good dealings with Directv but from the posts I see, your milage may Vary.

#17 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

I have no way of knowing where to "focus my anger." No matter who dropped the ball, the fact is no one bothered to call until well into the installation appointment window to inform me there was no equipment to install. That is unacceptable. This shows a complete disregard and lack of respect for the value of their customer's time.

Because we get 500 work orders a day. Recently with the extreme shortages, some days 50% + of new installs get rescheduled. There is no way to anticipate ahead of time which jobs will go in.

A tech might have 3 HD DVR's and 5 installs. He will use what he has but someone is getting shorted.

Personally I will make that call early in the morning and call you around 7:30. But this is a double edged sword. Then customers are pissed you woke them up just to tell them the bad news.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#18 OFFLINE   one.person

one.person

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

Calm down before you act. First learn from your mistake. Never use a second party to aquire a service.

I made no mistakes. I went here first, clicked the link for residential customers which took me to here which is on Directv's website. I ordered the service directly, not through Costco. Costco merely sold me a TV.

DirecTV will make this right for you. They really have the best satellite service available.

I am waiting to give them the opportunity to make it right.

Don't wait for the supervisor to call you. "He who hesitates looses"

Read the thread, I have called them back, they are not returning my calls.

#19 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Let's be clear, I am not putting myself through anything.

Of course you didn't cause this problem, but the aftermath is all you. Emotionally, you're all wound up over this. Read your own posts. Hell, just read your title:

:mad: Not happy at all

I'm not saying you should be happy. But give me one good reason to subscribe with a company that makes you so unhappy even before you have given them one cent?

Do yourself a favor. Back away while you can. I would.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

I made no mistakes. I went here first, clicked the link for residential customers which took me to here which is on Directv's website. I ordered the service directly, not through Costco. Costco merely sold me a TV.

I am waiting to give them the opportunity to make it right.

Read the thread, I have called them back, they are not returning my calls.

Are you at least sastified with the TV?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...