Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Not happy at all

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,250 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

The HR24 channel is still being built .. I'd say we are at a period of high demand and low supply.

Just like when the HR20 first came out.

When a company changes hardware you're always going to have a period where you are short on gear. Is it fun? No, but it is the way it is. You can tell when new tv models are coming out when you go into Best Buy and they are low on tv's. Even car dealers are low on cars between model year changes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,674 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

I don't know that anyone was caught off guard as much as it is just moving the equipment from MFG to consumer. Also with a lack of capacitors and resistors in the world right now, the components that make up the HR24s may simply be slow to arrive. I know at my company we had to scour the world for some parts to get our equipment manufactured and we're making stuff in the 10s of items, not the hundreds of thousands of items.

These excuses may play well at the distribution level, but it's no excuse for not telling the customer in advance of an early morning appointment that the hardware isn't available. You can't schedule installation appointments based on delivery of hardware that isn't already boxed and in the domestic distribution channel.

It is important to consider that the problem may not have been satellite equipment related: it may have been a shortage of manpower as a result of someone calling in sick or a vehicular breakdown. In that instance, there should probably be a modicum of slack cut.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   Striker

Striker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

I feel for the OP. I had an installer confirm my appointment, called ahead, and then showed up empty handed. He told me he never loaded any equipment since the shipment never came in.

So why would this installer go through all the work to show up and then say tough luck? I honestly wonder what goes through the minds of these installers. I mean a bit of common sense would have gone a long way.

So I ended up wasting a half day's worth of work. All the installer had to do was call me in the morning and say he has to reschedule due to an equipment shortage. I would have been perfectly fine with it.

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

These excuses may play well at the distribution level, but it's no excuse for not telling the customer in advance of an early morning appointment that the hardware isn't available. You can't schedule installation appointments based on delivery of hardware that isn't already boxed and in the domestic distribution channel.

It is important to consider that the problem may not have been satellite equipment related: it may have been a shortage of manpower as a result of someone calling in sick or a vehicular breakdown. In that instance, there should probably be a modicum of slack cut.

All I know is that if it were easy then this wouldn't be happening so much now. Even the scheduling of appointments is based on some sort of predetermined scheduling that is likely adjusted over time, but has trouble when supplies get low. Odds are there is a presumption (for normal day-to-day operation) that supply is infinite. Clearly that's not the case right now and it's causing these problems

As others have pointed out, an installer call in the morning can go a long way towards making a bad situation not as bad. Don't think that I'm calling this a good situation. In a perfect world, parts should be ready when needed.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Or perhaps something came up that was not expected such as their ability to offer DNS, which are mpeg 4 only, in some markets or other neighboring markets which are mpeg 4 only. As this was just ruled on by the FCC they couldn't have anticipated this. Add this with a large take rate of MRV and you run into this issue.

The upside to all of this is atleast more people will be getting the 24 models when they get them in stock.

Just ran across this, thought it appropriate to the thread.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 985 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Rich

IMO that site will rot your brain.

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Rich

Makes ya wonder how much of that decline was people frustrated with the install experience, who just canceled after getting the runaround.

#58 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

I really doubt that the purported "refurbishing" costs them much money at all.

You're using logic skewed to your viewpoint and I agree with you. But D* doesn't use that logic and as long as customers accept the replacement HRs rather than complaining massively, they'll just keep on keepin' on.

Rich

But customers do specify a certain model HR and the CSR will say " I can't guarentee that"

or

if the installer shows up without the "right" HR the customer cancels the order Directv will refuse to create the account if it happens to often.

So I think people are complaining and Directv is not listening.

#59 OFFLINE   tprkevin

tprkevin

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

I too have been rescheduled, but that is not what started the downhill slide. I ordered on the website. I use a mastercard that is prepaid as I dont like to extend what I dont have, yet I like the convienience of the card.

So I try to use this card for the initial $107 startup cost. It gives an error twice saying, we do not accept gift cards. So I just used another card that went through fine. Low and behold, I get text updates on card activity, DirectTV preauthorized the 2 charges that didn't go through!! So not only did I pay the $107, but another $214 was untouchable for a week due too their mistake.

I am a civil servent so I dont make buckets of money! Needless to say this was not the best news...I escalated this all the way to the presidents office to get taken care of. The first CSR I talked to refused to transfer to a supervisor, Not good.

So this finally got corrected and then I get the dreaded "we don't have any equipment" call! Are you freakin kiddin me! I am half tempted to write the office of the prez again!

#60 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Just like when the HR20 first came out.

When a company changes hardware you're always going to have a period where you are short on gear. Is it fun? No, but it is the way it is. You can tell when new tv models are coming out when you go into Best Buy and they are low on tv's. Even car dealers are low on cars between model year changes.

I think the same supply issue occurred when the HR21 first came out as well. Directv should know by now how to handle this sort of supply issue. Either crank out more units, make no promises on which HDDVR will be supplied (I don't think any such promise was made with the OP's order), or push out install dates so that there is not a crazy mess that installers have to deal with.
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#61 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,250 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

I think the same supply issue occurred when the HR21 first came out as well. Directv should know by now how to handle this sort of supply issue. Either crank out more units, make no promises on which HDDVR will be supplied (I don't think any such promise was made with the OP's order), or push out install dates so that there is not a crazy mess that installers have to deal with.

The problem is, and it's not just DirecTV, that to introduce a new model you must stop making the old model. You can't continue to make HR23's and start making HR24's at the same time. You can't make the 2010 Camaro at the same time that you make the 2011 Camaro and so on.

The only way to really effectively handle the situation is to stop doing installs when you quit making one model and don't start doing installs again until you have a sufficient supply of new models. Unfortunately this won't work in the world of business.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#62 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

The problem is, and it's not just DirecTV, that to introduce a new model you must stop making the old model. You can't continue to make HR23's and start making HR24's at the same time. You can't make the 2010 Camaro at the same time that you make the 2011 Camaro and so on.

The only way to really effectively handle the situation is to stop doing installs when you quit making one model and don't start doing installs again until you have a sufficient supply of new models. Unfortunately this won't work in the world of business.

Actually you can make two different models of HRs at the same time, as D* has different manufacturers.

#63 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Actually you can make two different models of HRs at the same time, as D* has different manufacturers.

+1

Directv did not release both the HR24-500 and HR24-200 at the same time. It seems like they got the HR24 out asap (for MRV revenue?) and just hoped that both window of time when the supply of HD DVRs dropped and the drop in the # of HD DVRs produced would not be noticeable by customers. Oops.
The solution would be to maintain the supply of the HR21 with one manufacturer (I think that's the one before the HR24) until the HR24 production with another manufacturer can catch up. And no promise of an HR24 to anyone during this initial rollout of HR24s. To get a call on install day and hearing the installer has no HR2x DVRs available is poor planning from Directv.

#64 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

In my case I have told them numerous times that I am not in a hurry for my install and will gladly wait for 24s to be in stock. Do you think the warehouse supervisor will call me so we can work out an arrangement...yeah right. I keep getting told he will call, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't like wasting peoples time, but when they can't take 5 minutes to call me so we can work it out, I have to shake my head.

I have my third attempt at an install next week. The woman from the local office said she talked to the manager and he said schedule out a week. He told her they would have my equipment. Since I didn't get to talk to him I'm really hoping I wasn't fed (another) line.

#65 OFFLINE   whoray85

whoray85

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Keep in mind the installers work on Saturdays and Sundays and most holidays.

We work 365 days a year - - although we do try to keep Thanksgiving and Christmas Day limited to urgent Service Calls (SFSS on all receivers)

#66 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,250 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

But if they stop manufacturing of one model I'm sure they stop it across the board.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

IMO that site will rot your brain.

I know, but he's right more than he's wrong. I've had some arguments with him from time to time.

Rich

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Makes ya wonder how much of that decline was people frustrated with the install experience, who just canceled after getting the runaround.

I think the economy probably has a lot to do with it. I still see people who are just scraping by.

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

But customers do specify a certain model HR and the CSR will say " I can't guarentee that"

or

if the installer shows up without the "right" HR the customer cancels the order Directv will refuse to create the account if it happens to often.

So I think people are complaining and Directv is not listening.

I think D* listens and doesn't do anything about it. That works as long as "they put fannies in the seats".

Rich

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

But if they stop manufacturing of one model I'm sure they stop it across the board.

Yup, I do believe that's what they do. Now they have to dump all the 23s. I'm just waiting for the 24-700 to come out.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

Yup, I do believe that's what they do. Now they have to dump all the 23s. I'm just waiting for the 24-700 to come out.

Rich

Wait so for every iteration of the HD DVRs they stop production of the current model for all manufacturers and start production of the new model with only 1-2 manufacturers? Then ramp up production of the new model a few months later with more manufacturers, then within 6-12 months do it all over again? It seems like there's a small window of time where the supply of HD DVRs is reliable.:confused:

#72 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

I have a funny feeling that the HR24 will be the product for the foreseeable future. I think the cycle of HR20-begets-HR21-begets-HR22-begets-HR23 was a learning curve in the creation of the hardware and software, and the subsequent manufacturing, of a DVR. The HR24 is a mature platform. I wouldn't be surprised to find this piece of hardware, with continuing software upgrades, in the line for years. At the worst they will discover a failing in its basic design, which will beget a HR25. That model will then be the standard bearer instead of the HR24. But my bet is on the HR24. Over the past four years, DirecTV has learned how to make a DVR and the result is the HR24.

Edited by Carl Spock, 10 August 2010 - 06:34 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Wait so for every iteration of the HD DVRs they stop production of the current model for all manufacturers and start production of the new model with only 1-2 manufacturers? Then ramp up production of the new model a few months later with more manufacturers, then within 6-12 months do it all over again? It seems like there's a small window of time where the supply of HD DVRs is reliable.:confused:

Yup. You've got it.

Rich

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

I have a funny feeling that the HR24 will be the product for the foreseeable future. I think the cycle of HR20-begets-HR21-begets-HR22-begets-HR23 was a learning curve in the creation of the hardware and software, and the subsequent manufacturing, of a DVR. The HR24 is a mature platform. I wouldn't be surprised to find this piece of hardware, with continuing software upgrades, in the line for years. At the worst they will discover a failing in its basic design, which will beget a HR25. That model will then be the standard bearer instead of the HR24. But my bet is on the HR24. Over the past four years, DirecTV has learned how to make a DVR and the result is the HR24.

What gets me is that I think they could have done this a whole lot quicker. The 20-700s are still reliable and fast, almost as fast as the 24-500. I really don't understand why they went backwards for such a long period of time and then, suddenly, produced the 24s. Oh, yes I do understand, it was cheaper to make the 21 series and it's all about the money.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...