Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Not happy at all

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

I think the same supply issue occurred when the HR21 first came out as well. Directv should know by now how to handle this sort of supply issue. Either crank out more units, make no promises on which HDDVR will be supplied (I don't think any such promise was made with the OP's order), or push out install dates so that there is not a crazy mess that installers have to deal with.

The problem is, and it's not just DirecTV, that to introduce a new model you must stop making the old model. You can't continue to make HR23's and start making HR24's at the same time. You can't make the 2010 Camaro at the same time that you make the 2011 Camaro and so on.

The only way to really effectively handle the situation is to stop doing installs when you quit making one model and don't start doing installs again until you have a sufficient supply of new models. Unfortunately this won't work in the world of business.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

The problem is, and it's not just DirecTV, that to introduce a new model you must stop making the old model. You can't continue to make HR23's and start making HR24's at the same time. You can't make the 2010 Camaro at the same time that you make the 2011 Camaro and so on.

The only way to really effectively handle the situation is to stop doing installs when you quit making one model and don't start doing installs again until you have a sufficient supply of new models. Unfortunately this won't work in the world of business.

Actually you can make two different models of HRs at the same time, as D* has different manufacturers.

#63 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Actually you can make two different models of HRs at the same time, as D* has different manufacturers.

+1

Directv did not release both the HR24-500 and HR24-200 at the same time. It seems like they got the HR24 out asap (for MRV revenue?) and just hoped that both window of time when the supply of HD DVRs dropped and the drop in the # of HD DVRs produced would not be noticeable by customers. Oops.
The solution would be to maintain the supply of the HR21 with one manufacturer (I think that's the one before the HR24) until the HR24 production with another manufacturer can catch up. And no promise of an HR24 to anyone during this initial rollout of HR24s. To get a call on install day and hearing the installer has no HR2x DVRs available is poor planning from Directv.
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#64 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

In my case I have told them numerous times that I am not in a hurry for my install and will gladly wait for 24s to be in stock. Do you think the warehouse supervisor will call me so we can work out an arrangement...yeah right. I keep getting told he will call, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't like wasting peoples time, but when they can't take 5 minutes to call me so we can work it out, I have to shake my head.

I have my third attempt at an install next week. The woman from the local office said she talked to the manager and he said schedule out a week. He told her they would have my equipment. Since I didn't get to talk to him I'm really hoping I wasn't fed (another) line.

#65 OFFLINE   whoray85

whoray85

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Keep in mind the installers work on Saturdays and Sundays and most holidays.

We work 365 days a year - - although we do try to keep Thanksgiving and Christmas Day limited to urgent Service Calls (SFSS on all receivers)

#66 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

But if they stop manufacturing of one model I'm sure they stop it across the board.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#67 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,207 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

IMO that site will rot your brain.

I know, but he's right more than he's wrong. I've had some arguments with him from time to time.

Rich

#68 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,207 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Makes ya wonder how much of that decline was people frustrated with the install experience, who just canceled after getting the runaround.

I think the economy probably has a lot to do with it. I still see people who are just scraping by.

Rich

#69 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,207 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

But customers do specify a certain model HR and the CSR will say " I can't guarentee that"

or

if the installer shows up without the "right" HR the customer cancels the order Directv will refuse to create the account if it happens to often.

So I think people are complaining and Directv is not listening.

I think D* listens and doesn't do anything about it. That works as long as "they put fannies in the seats".

Rich

#70 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,207 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

But if they stop manufacturing of one model I'm sure they stop it across the board.

Yup, I do believe that's what they do. Now they have to dump all the 23s. I'm just waiting for the 24-700 to come out.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

Yup, I do believe that's what they do. Now they have to dump all the 23s. I'm just waiting for the 24-700 to come out.

Rich

Wait so for every iteration of the HD DVRs they stop production of the current model for all manufacturers and start production of the new model with only 1-2 manufacturers? Then ramp up production of the new model a few months later with more manufacturers, then within 6-12 months do it all over again? It seems like there's a small window of time where the supply of HD DVRs is reliable.:confused:
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#72 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

I have a funny feeling that the HR24 will be the product for the foreseeable future. I think the cycle of HR20-begets-HR21-begets-HR22-begets-HR23 was a learning curve in the creation of the hardware and software, and the subsequent manufacturing, of a DVR. The HR24 is a mature platform. I wouldn't be surprised to find this piece of hardware, with continuing software upgrades, in the line for years. At the worst they will discover a failing in its basic design, which will beget a HR25. That model will then be the standard bearer instead of the HR24. But my bet is on the HR24. Over the past four years, DirecTV has learned how to make a DVR and the result is the HR24.

Edited by Carl Spock, 10 August 2010 - 06:34 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#73 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,207 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Wait so for every iteration of the HD DVRs they stop production of the current model for all manufacturers and start production of the new model with only 1-2 manufacturers? Then ramp up production of the new model a few months later with more manufacturers, then within 6-12 months do it all over again? It seems like there's a small window of time where the supply of HD DVRs is reliable.:confused:

Yup. You've got it.

Rich

#74 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,207 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

I have a funny feeling that the HR24 will be the product for the foreseeable future. I think the cycle of HR20-begets-HR21-begets-HR22-begets-HR23 was a learning curve in the creation of the hardware and software, and the subsequent manufacturing, of a DVR. The HR24 is a mature platform. I wouldn't be surprised to find this piece of hardware, with continuing software upgrades, in the line for years. At the worst they will discover a failing in its basic design, which will beget a HR25. That model will then be the standard bearer instead of the HR24. But my bet is on the HR24. Over the past four years, DirecTV has learned how to make a DVR and the result is the HR24.

What gets me is that I think they could have done this a whole lot quicker. The 20-700s are still reliable and fast, almost as fast as the 24-500. I really don't understand why they went backwards for such a long period of time and then, suddenly, produced the 24s. Oh, yes I do understand, it was cheaper to make the 21 series and it's all about the money.

Rich

spam firewall