Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Albany, GA local market active?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

For those in the Albany, GA local market, are the local channels active today? What about CBS?
Can you get it through DNS? Do you need a waiver for it or does it just show up when requested? Please let me know, because I am wanting to switch to Directv ASAP.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

For those in the Albany, GA local market, are the local channels active today? What about CBS?
Can you get it through DNS? Do you need a waiver for it or does it just show up when requested? Please let me know, because I am wanting to switch to Directv ASAP.

I don't know why DirecTV hasn't sent a press release, but local channels are now active!

The channel list includes:

WALB (NBC 10 - Albany) - HD only
WABW (PBS 14 - Albany) - HD only
The CW (The CW 17 - Jacksonville?) - HD only
WJXX (ABC 25 - Jacksonville) - HD only
WFXL (FOX 31 - Albany) - HD only
WSST (IND 55 - Albany) - SD only

According to the CSR, DirecTV is working with WSWG (CBS 44) to get their signal uplinked, but they our having issues getting a signal from them. This makes sense given that the locals are being received at WALB's studio in Albany, and WSWG's signal doesn't reach Albany. Either way, I was told that DirecTV would be adding them as soon as possible.

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

thanks for the update. Can you get CBS from NY or LA for the time being?

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

thanks for the update. Can you get CBS from NY or LA for the time being?

I've had CBS from NY and LA for 15 years.

Due to the recent changes in DNS laws, I can't say whether or not you'd receive CBS or not. You could always contact DirecTV and ask?!

Hopefully it won't be long before they add WSWG...

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

I've had CBS from NY and LA for 15 years.

Due to the recent changes in DNS laws, I can't say whether or not you'd receive CBS or not. You could always contact DirecTV and ask?!

Hopefully it won't be long before they add WSWG...

~Alan

Just log in and apply for them. The answer is you an apply for the DNS feed but they dont have to grant it either. Cant hurt to try. When my locals launched about 1.5 months ago I kept applying for the 2 (FOX & CBS) that did not get activated.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Just log in and apply for them. The answer is you an apply for the DNS feed but they dont have to grant it either. Cant hurt to try. When my locals launched about 1.5 months ago I kept applying for the 2 (FOX & CBS) that did not get activated.

beagator isn't a DirecTV subscriber... she (I'm assuming?) wants to switch to it. I'm gathering she also wants to know whether or not she can get CBS prior to switching.

A good portion of the Albany, GA DMA can't get WSWG, but they can get WCTV or WRBL. My understanding of the new law is that you only have to get permission from the affiliate in your DMA? If so, she may be eligible due to WSWG's poor signal range (if she's indeed out of their range)... possibly even more so since WSWG isn't even licensed to the Albany, GA DMA.

I don't know... it's a weird situation.

Luckily, I have HD-DNS and OTA, so I'm good, but I'm hoping that WSWG will be added in the next couple of weeks for those with this issue.

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

Would the Albany market possibly get CBS out of Columbus when their LIL goes live in September?

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#8 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

I got the Albany Ga locals and I have a couple of problems.CW17,GPS14,WJXX25 all has To Be Announced in guide since yesterday. GPS14 has no audio. Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Would the Albany market possibly get CBS out of Columbus when their LIL goes live in September?

Extremely doubtful. CBS will be provided by WSWG.

I got the Albany Ga locals and I have a couple of problems.CW17,GPS14,WJXX25 all has To Be Announced in guide since yesterday. GPS14 has no audio. Thanks

The CSR I spoke to yesterday said that guide data may take 24 hours to come in. I don't know why only those three channels would have this issue, so it's possible that it's a problem, but I intend on waiting 24 hours AFTER I activated them before I call it an issue.

WABW (14) is an issue.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

The CSR I spoke to yesterday said that guide data may take 24 hours to come in. I don't know why only those three channels would have this issue, so it's possible that it's a problem, but I intend on waiting 24 hours AFTER I activated them before I call it an issue.

Well... it's been 24 hours and they still say "To Be Announced"... :(

On an unrelated topic, though the CSR informed me about WSWG coming later, it would have been cool if DirecTV stuck WSWG's channel listing in with the locals and said "Coming Soon".

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

WABW (14) is an issue.

I reported both issues.

~Alan

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

GPS14 has no audio.

Audio is now working. :)

~Alan

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Sometimes, I can be incredibly stupid. :(

I "flushed" my Guide cache, and I now get program information for CW17, WABW (14), and WJXX (25).

For those who don't know what "flushing" the Guide cache means, I'll explain.

Go to Parental, Fav's & Setup. Go to System Setup. Go to Reset. Hit Restart Receiver. Hit DASH (as directed). Wait until the receiver returns to LIVE TV.

REPEAT! Once you've returned to LIVE TV, you should have Program Guide data for all the local channels.

UPDATE: This apparently only works temporarily....

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 07 August 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:00 AM

What happened to the Albany locals? It seems on the directv website that the ABC & CW channel out of Jacksonville are only available in SD, not HD like before. Is this accurate? Anybody have an update on CBS too? Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...