Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ASIA on the 101

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

So usually you see something in the guide about a great band from years gone past and you start to watch only to be quickly disappointed.

Not this time, freaking A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Set the DVR and watch it sometime when you can crank up the surround sound.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

So usually you see something in the guide about a great band from years gone past and you start to watch only to be quickly disappointed.

Not this time, freaking A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Set the DVR and watch it sometime when you can crank up the surround sound.

Thanks much for the update - I'll be sure to check this out. I recently saw that Asia had got back together for a tour, but I hadn't seen the listing on the 101 channel. Never did see Asia when they first formed, though in my 'earlier' years I did get to see Yes, ELP and King Crimson several times (i.e. the predecessor bands to Asia).

#3 OFFLINE   hyde76

hyde76

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

I saw ASIA at the meadowlands in like 1986, during the period when John Wetton left the band and Greg Lake was singing. It was beyond terrible. What was on the 101 was much better.

#4 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Note, the show is awesome (80's child!) and is avaiable on 1101 - The 101 on Demand in HD.

#5 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

It was a good concert. I DVR'd it the first night it was on. I never knew much about them until I looked them up on WIKI. Interesting how some of these bands come together. I noticed at the end on the credits that this was taped in 2007. So it's not a real recent performance.

#6 OFFLINE   CKNAV

CKNAV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Very bad show imo. The band looks terrible. Singer looks like he gained 100 lbs and sounds horrible. Guitar player looks like a walking corpse. This show has too many crappy Asia songs, that nobody knows and version of "Don't Cry" was beyond terrible. I was very disapointed.

Edited by CKNAV, 05 August 2010 - 04:14 PM.

2 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR21-200
1 SWM8

#7 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

I recorded the first night it was on - just happened to see it in the guide. I FF through it to hear "Heat of the Moment" and "Only Time Will Tell" (my favorite of the two). I thought those 2 performances were great. I agree about Steve Howe (guitarist) looking like a walking corpse, and the final song with the keyboardist strutting around with his 'keytar' was hilarious (reminded me of Ross from Friends).
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#8 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Note, the show is awesome (80's child!) and is avaiable on 1101 - The 101 on Demand in HD.

Loading it now, thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   guffy1

guffy1

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

If ASIA was playing a concert in my back yard for free I wouldn't show up....LOL

#10 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Very bad show imo. The band looks terrible. Singer looks like he gained 100 lbs and sounds horrible. Guitar player looks like a walking corpse. This show has too many crappy Asia songs, that nobody knows and version of "Don't Cry" was beyond terrible. I was very disapointed.

They're all well over 60, what were you expecting? You should hope nobody compares your looks at that age to what you looked like 30 years before.

I mean, look at Mick Jagger. He looks more and more like Barney Fife with every passing day.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#11 ONLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

I have this show on BlueRay and it's DTS HD Master track is a bit treble intensive and lacking full bass warmth. Nonetheless its a good show with some alternate takes (sort of unplugged) on a few tunes plus some of the stuff from their career forming bands. Their remix on Fanfare for the Common Man is pretty cool.

The extras are nice as well... Is it as impact-full as Asia was in it's heyday? No. But it's a great trip down memory lane...

Steve Howe looks like a refugee from a nursing home for sure but he's still got his chops. Compare this show to some of the more recent YES DVD offerings (before the health issues hit the band) where they have hit their "lounge act" mentality onstage and Steve sounds much more vibrant on this outing...

A Rick Wakeman comment from one of these DVDs notes something akin to...

"there is a lot of talk about the age of our audience and I'm here to tell you that most of them were able to come into the building without assistance":grin:

Don "video killed the radio star" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#12 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

Steve Howe looks like a refugee from a nursing home for sure

I beg to differ.

Steve Howe is now a dead ringer for Mr. Burns...

Posted Image Posted Image
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#13 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

Asia is still recording and touring. Their last two albums, "Phoenix" and "Omega", are arguably the best work they've done since their '82 debut. Their musicianship is better than ever. John Wetton has become an even more expressive singer, and his songwriting partnership with Geoff Downes is as fruitful as before.

Check out their latest work. You won't be disappointed.

#14 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Asia is doing Yes cover tunes?:nono:
I deleted it at Round-about

#15 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

As one who liked Asia when they came out in the 80's, I was very disappointed in the concert. Just no life in the crowd and in the music. I felt as if I was watching a funeral.

#16 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

Great Concert !!!!

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#17 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Asia is doing Yes cover tunes?:nono:
I deleted it at Round-about

When Steve Howe is playing the guitar part, it's hardly a "cover tune".

They played 1 song from each of the members "pre-ASIA" history.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#18 ONLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

And something you might not know is that the version of Roundabout that Asia did was complete. Carl was doing some of the percussive sections that Yes had dropped from their playing of the tune many years back.

Though I found the vocal to be a bit less than optimal and the keyboard work a little lacking the tune had a spirit better than Yes themselves had been putting into it. Course they'd been playing it for some 35 years.

Don "for geezers they sounded great" Bolton

When Steve Howe is playing the guitar part, it's hardly a "cover tune".

They played 1 song from each of the members "pre-ASIA" history.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#19 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Watched it tonight. I thought they were good. I'm old enough that they brought back lots of memories.

#20 OFFLINE   MadlyAlive

MadlyAlive

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Caught this when I got home last night after a long road trip. Put me to sleep but I have it recorded.

The guys sounded great!

spam firewall