Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/Whole Home issues?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

I have had MRV for a few weeks now and ever since week one it has worked sporadically. I have an HR24-100 in my living room and an H24 in the kids room. When I try to play recordings on the H24 it periodically gives me the error that it's "unable to play no data packets audio/video received." I don't have VOD as DTV has not come to hook up internet yet, but from what i've read this should not matter as the two receivers have built in DECA's.
Both show coax connected on the info screen and the H24 has an ip address and network status is showing connected. All of my scheduled programs are showing up in the playlist, but they don't always play on the H24, only some programs give me the "data packets" error. For example today I was trying to play any of the several Spongebob episodes i have recorded all gave me the error, but at the same time Holmes on Homes would play. I am not sure what the problem is any help is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

This is a bit strange. Maybe there are some loose connections in the coax.
Since you have the 24s, you can run a test to see what the bit-rate is between them.
On the front panel press guide & > buttons at the same time and [when you get the timing right] you'll see a blue menu with coax network. Select this and it will test the loss between the receivers and any other DECAs. The there is another test [the middle option to the left] where it will run the bit-rate test.
Posting what's on both screens here might help us to know what's going on.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

Here are pictures of the MRV test and info screens.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0176.jpg
  • IMG_0177.jpg

Edited by devaska1, 04 August 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Those are a bit hard to see, but from what I can, the DECA network is fine.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

Those are a bit hard to see, but from what I can, the DECA network is fine.

Yeah, sorry bout the picture quality and I did not get them oriented correctly, but from everything i have read my network is set up correctly. I have no clue as to why I am getting the data packets error. When my MRV does work, I have no issues with playback, 30skip or anything like that. Both receivers are responsive and working fine as far as I can tell.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, sorry bout the picture quality and I did not get them oriented correctly, but from everything i have read my network is set up correctly. I have no clue as to why I am getting the data packets error. When my MRV does work, I have no issues with playback, 30skip or anything like that. Both receivers are responsive and working fine as far as I can tell.

I see you have the HR24-100, and I the HR24-500. "Maybe" because the -500 has been out a bit longer that the firmware is tuned a bit better for it and so the -100 may catch up with the next update. Kind of a crappy answer, but I think it has merit.

You can also try the menu reset on each and see if that helps.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

I see you have the HR24-100, and I the HR24-500. "Maybe" because the -500 has been out a bit longer that the firmware is tuned a bit better for it and so the -100 may catch up with the next update. Kind of a crappy answer, but I think it has merit.

You can also try the menu reset on each and see if that helps.

I did do a reset on the H24 and all programs in the list would play, but then later in the day I noticed that they were not all playing again. I hope I don't have to do a reset every time I want to make use of MRV. arggggg

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

I did do a reset on the H24 and all programs in the list would play, but then later in the day I noticed that they were not all playing again. I hope I don't have to do a reset every time I want to make use of MRV. arggggg

Try doing it to the HR24 too and see. I don't think you'd need to do this every time, but its software simply isn't as refined yet, but is coming.
The 24s are enough different than the others that they do have some new bugs in them that is being sorted out.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

I have had MRV for a few weeks now and ever since week one it has worked sporadically. I have an HR24-100 in my living room and an H24 in the kids room. When I try to play recordings on the H24 it periodically gives me the error that it's "unable to play no data packets audio/video received." I don't have VOD as DTV has not come to hook up internet yet, but from what i've read this should not matter as the two receivers have built in DECA's.
Both show coax connected on the info screen and the H24 has an ip address and network status is showing connected. All of my scheduled programs are showing up in the playlist, but they don't always play on the H24, only some programs give me the "data packets" error. For example today I was trying to play any of the several Spongebob episodes i have recorded all gave me the error, but at the same time Holmes on Homes would play. I am not sure what the problem is any help is appreciated.

When you get this message, can you play back the recording in native mode on the HR24 it was recorded on? When ever I received that type of message, It almost always pointed to a bad recording on the HR2x.

#10 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

When you get this message, can you play back the recording in native mode on the HR24 it was recorded on? When ever I received that type of message, It almost always pointed to a bad recording on the HR2x.

I think you may be correct, the recordings that are not playing on my H24 are probably some that I have canceled due to scheduling conflicts or maybe recordings that I canceled after they had already started recording. I'll verify your suggestion with my guess, and report back. Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by azarby View Post

I think you may be correct, the recordings that are not playing on my H24 are probably some that I have canceled due to scheduling conflicts or maybe recordings that I canceled after they had already started recording. I'll verify your suggestion with my guess, and report back. Thanks

On second thought i've checked and it has nothing to do with the quality of my recordings or the fact that I canceled some of my recordings that conflicted with live TV or other recordings. It seems that the only channels that I get the " Data Packets audio/video" error are SD channels. For instance Boomerang, NikW, and some other SD channels that I have scheduled recordings on. All of the HD recordings work all the time, any thoughts on this........

#12 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

I don't have an answer, but at least you're not alone. Just starting last week, I've been getting the same errors with two HR-24s on maybe three different episodes. They play locally, but won't play remotely, failing with the same "no data packet" error. A reboot made no difference. I even had 4 episodes of one show, recorded within a week of each other on the same channel, and just two of them wouldn't play remotely. There may have been one time when this first started, I wasn't paying attention yet, where one episode wouldn't play at first, but did play on the second or third attempt. 99.9% of remote recordings have played fine, it's just recently this has started to happen.

#13 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by azarby View Post

On second thought i've checked and it has nothing to do with the quality of my recordings or the fact that I canceled some of my recordings that conflicted with live TV or other recordings. It seems that the only channels that I get the " Data Packets audio/video" error are SD channels. For instance Boomerang, NikW, and some other SD channels that I have scheduled recordings on. All of the HD recordings work all the time, any thoughts on this........

Some of the episodes that failed for me were HD, so I can't corroborate this.

#14 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:24 AM

Some of the episodes that failed for me were HD, so I can't corroborate this.

Were you getting the same error message that I am? And what's your setup? Thanks

#15 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:27 AM

Were you getting the same error message that I am? And what's your setup? Thanks

Exact same error message. I have 2 HR24s, Whole Home, and DECA connected to my server and the internet.

#16 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

Exact same error message. I have 2 HR24s, Whole Home, and DECA connected to my server and the internet.

Today all of the programs SD and HD, in my list are playing on the H24. So, this is an intermittent issue but, it's frustrating nonetheless.

#17 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

This is also a symptom of my ongoing issues. What I have figured out is that my list is NOT updating. When i try to play a recording of a series, I am finding an older, already replaced show is being displayed. When I attempt to play I get the error as this show isn't really available.

Figured out how to, still annoying, work around without restarting the receiver. After pressing the list button, press the yellow options button then change the playlist order to anything other than what is already set. It's a PIA but it works.

--Mickey

#18 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

this is happening to me as well. I have an HR21-200, HR24-100, and an H24-100. We are also losing the UPL (unified play list) regularly. FYI, our network is fine or so it says! We have to reboot at least 2 or 3 times a week - very, very frustrating - especially for something I'm paying $3/month extra for.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#19 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Well at least if there is no solution yet, I now know that i'm not imagining things. I hope someone has some insight into this issue. If I recall from all of the posts here so far it seems as though all of the programs where this is an issue are being served from an HR24-100 dvr. If that's the case then maybe veryoldschool is correct and this is just a problem that's unique to the HR24 because its a new machine......

Edited by devaska1, 05 August 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:22 AM

Here's more proof that this is an issue! Others with the same problems on the DTV forums....
http://directv.outst...rtalPageId=1002

Protected By... spam firewall...And...