Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* pq vesus C* pq

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

I wanted to just affirm to me and others why I have D* versus C* (Comcast to the uninitiated). I am visiting some family in the Seattle area for the next 4 days and my brother in law has the same Panasonic Plasma I have in Portland. We were watching a show that I watch and I noticed more image distortion, artifacting and general quality issues versus what I see with D*. I know D* is not perfect either but I can see a noticable quality difference between the shows we watched over the last few days in HD from Comcast versus Directv. Also the standard definition quality looked very poor also. If I have my choice it would be D* (If I can have it where I live) or FIOS is I have no other option.

Edited by convem24, 04 August 2010 - 11:27 PM.
spelling, I can't spell.

Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

i agree. i also have comcrap in my area and its awful. not to mention more expensive. directv has one of the best pics out there among tv providers imo.only one that might be better is fios. i've always been pleased with D*'s pic quality especially over E* which is what i had before.
Directv member since 2008 HR34-700,HR24-500 & HR20-700-swm lnb
Sirius member since 2003

Dish member from 1999-2008 vip 622 & vip 211

RIP john h..........

#3 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

I switched from DirecTV to Comcast about a year and a half ago. When I switched, I noticed that the SD picture on my TV was significantly better with Comcast than DirecTV.

I couldn't compare HD pictures because I didn't have HD with DirecTV. But I think the HD picture with Comcast is excellent. I have a neighbor with DirecTV HD (though he has a different TV, so a direct comparison isn't possible), but neither he nor I notice a difference in picture quality between DirecTV at his house and Comcast at my house. (Though I think he has sound quality issues, because he had asked me if I had audio drop outs with Comcast; I told him no and pointed him to this site.)

If Comcast has noticible distortion in Seattle, maybe that is specific to the Seattle Comcast network, or maybe it has to do with the way your brother-in-law's TV is configured.

#4 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

i agree. i also have comcrap in my area and its awful. not to mention more expensive. directv has one of the best pics out there among tv providers imo.only one that might be better is fios. i've always been pleased with D*'s pic quality especially over E* which is what i had before.

to clarify i meant HD pic quality. which is all i watch :D
Sirius member since 2003

RIP john h..........

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:50 AM

Picture quality from cable providers will differ from provider to provider and even within different areas from the same provider. They have different channel lineups and compression schemes from one place to another.

HD PQ from providers ranked from best to worst:

• Fios
  • DirecTV
  • Comcast, TWC, Brighthouse, etc.
  • U-Verse
  • Staring at a blank screen
  • Blindfolding yourself
  • Pouring some sort of harmful chemical in your eyes
  • Dish Network

DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

I have DirecTV and the picture quality is excellent. I am still able though to view some of the unscrambled Comcast channels via my TV's tuner. For now HD network channels like ABC, CBS, NBC look better in my area from Comcast than DirecTV. My understanding is that is because in some areas there is much less compression done on those channels than the rest of their cable channels. The rest I hear are pretty seriously overcompressed. Hard for me to give Comcast any positive remarks, but in this case those channels look really good.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

While I agree D* PQ is better than Comcast, you can't compare the images even on the same make of display unless each display has been calibrated the same way.

I can make many different adjustments on my display to change the image from great to crap.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

My neighbor & I have the same plasma tv in our dark media rooms, both calibrated by the same iSF guy, and he has FiOS & I have D*. FioS HD & SD is definitely better than mine, but just marginally on the HD, but leaps & bounds on SD. C'mon D* clean up your 480i, as we can't watch everything in HD, until you get AMC, DIY, BBC, G4, Fuse & E!.

Edited by texasmoose, 05 August 2010 - 08:12 AM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

Picture quality from cable providers will differ from provider to provider and even within different areas from the same provider. They have different channel lineups and compression schemes from one place to another.

HD PQ from providers ranked from best to worst:

• Fios
  • DirecTV
  • Comcast, TWC, Brighthouse, etc.
  • U-Verse
  • Staring at a blank screen
  • Blindfolding yourself
  • Pouring some sort of harmful chemical in your eyes
  • Dish Network

Haha.. In reality, Dish is easily above Uverse and usually (but not always, as you correctly point out) above the cable companies in picture quality.

Uverse is *bad*, especially in areas that offer 3HD/1SD service.

#10 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

I can't put comcast above dish here. The order of pic quality in my area is directv,dish,ota,uverse,comcast
Sirius member since 2003

RIP john h..........

#11 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

Isn't the lower tier of Comcast channels still analog(2-99), even via a HD stb? I think that works fine on a sd crt, but is brutal on a HD LCD or plasma.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#12 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Isn't the lower tier of Comcast channels still analog(2-99), even via a HD stb? I think that works fine on a sd crt, but is brutal on a HD LCD or plasma.

I can't personally speak for Comcast but Time Warner Cable in my area was entirely digital with a box.

I recently switched to DirecTV from Time Warner Cable and I think that DirecTV's HD picture quality is better than Time Warner Cable's, although Time Warner Cable did have more HD channels.

I have heard that Comcast had terrible HD picture quality and I've seen a side by side screen shot comparison between Fios and Comcast over on AVS Forum and Comcast looks awful. Here's the link.

Edited by skatingrocker17, 05 August 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

I wanted to just affirm to me and others why I have D* versus C* (Comcast to the uninitiated). I am visiting some family in the Seattle area for the next 4 days and my brother in law has the same Panasonic Plasma I have in Portland. We were watching a show that I watch and I noticed more image distortion, artifacting and general quality issues versus what I see with D*. I know D* is not perfect either but I can see a noticable quality difference between the shows we watched over the last few days in HD from Comcast versus Directv. Also the standard definition quality looked very poor also. If I have my choice it would be D* (If I can have it where I live) or FIOS is I have no other option.

My parents have TW and I notice a huge difference in PQ when I am at their home. They don't know any better until they visit and see how much D*'s HD PQ blows their TW cable away.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#14 OFFLINE   WayGod

WayGod

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Just switched from Comcast to DTV a month and a half ago. No question in my mind the PQ, sound and just about everything on DTV blows away Comcast, period. And everyone in the family agrees. I can actually read the DTV guide! Will never go back... I'm glad I made the switch.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

I can't put comcast above dish here. The order of pic quality in my area is directv,dish,ota,uverse,comcast

Actually with only minor exceptions, OTA should always be top of the list as far a PQ of network television....

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

Actually with only minor exceptions, OTA should always be top of the list as far a PQ of network television....

Something is terribly wrong somewhere if OTA-HD isn't the best PQ, period. Either some adjustment is out of whack or there's cockpit error.

MPEG-4 HD on some channels via D* can come very close, but OTA-HD is king of the hill, and there are technical reasons for this to be the case.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Well...

Yes, OTA has the *potential* to use up to 19Mb/s for their MPEG2 feed, and so everyone makes the assumption that they do, but in reality, a station with no subchannels typically runs their feed at around 14Mb/s. With subchannels, that feed could be *much* less.

On the other hand, a TV provider like DirecTV or Comcast (or Verizon or AT&T, etc.) could be pulling in a feed over fiber before that final stage of compression, and so could be delivering a higher-quality feed than what goes out OTA. True, most OTA stations are actually picked up OTA, recompressed using MPEG4 (with very little additional loss in most cases), and sent out, but some feeds are fiber and are very high quality.

#18 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Comcast locally (Seattle) has gone to almost all digital. I think channels 2-29 are still simulcast analog/digital (but maybe not), all the rest are digital only.

As others have noted, cable pq varies from market to market and company to company. There is no "one size fits all" with regard to cable pq. I left Comcast and got DirecTV due to picture quality issues. At that time, DirecTV was significantly better. Can't say that is still true, as I don't have the opportunity to do a valid comparison.

#19 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

D*hands down the best PQ in the nation.
Marquitos

#20 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

My neighbor & I have the same plasma tv in our dark media rooms, both calibrated by the same iSF guy, and he has FiOS & I have D*. FioS HD & SD is definitely better than mine, but just marginally on the HD, but leaps & bounds on SD. C'mon D* clean up your 480i, as we can't watch everything in HD, until you get AMC, DIY, BBC, G4, Fuse & E!.

Texasmoose, I agree on the additional HD. But some of that still looks like crap on Comcast. I can wait a little while, I would rather have D* get a good contract instead of another price increase.
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

Protected By... spam firewall...And...