Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* pq vesus C* pq

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Well...

Yes, OTA has the *potential* to use up to 19Mb/s for their MPEG2 feed, and so everyone makes the assumption that they do, but in reality, a station with no subchannels typically runs their feed at around 14Mb/s. With subchannels, that feed could be *much* less.

On the other hand, a TV provider like DirecTV or Comcast (or Verizon or AT&T, etc.) could be pulling in a feed over fiber before that final stage of compression, and so could be delivering a higher-quality feed than what goes out OTA. True, most OTA stations are actually picked up OTA, recompressed using MPEG4 (with very little additional loss in most cases), and sent out, but some feeds are fiber and are very high quality.

Hence the minor exceptions clause......Personally I have yet to see a lil HD feed from D* that was better than that same station OTA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Comcast locally (Seattle) has gone to almost all digital. I think channels 2-29 are still simulcast analog/digital (but maybe not), all the rest are digital only.

As others have noted, cable pq varies from market to market and company to company. There is no "one size fits all" with regard to cable pq. I left Comcast and got DirecTV due to picture quality issues. At that time, DirecTV was significantly better. Can't say that is still true, as I don't have the opportunity to do a valid comparison.

Carl, I am staying with family near Puyallup (all digital Comcast) and their HD still looks like crap!
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

#23 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

I have DirecTV and the picture quality is excellent. I am still able though to view some of the unscrambled Comcast channels via my TV's tuner. For now HD network channels like ABC, CBS, NBC look better in my area from Comcast than DirecTV. My understanding is that is because in some areas there is much less compression done on those channels than the rest of their cable channels. The rest I hear are pretty seriously overcompressed. Hard for me to give Comcast any positive remarks, but in this case those channels look really good.

I agree with you general sentiments. In the area I am staying with relatives, they way over compress the digital and HD signals (it looks really bad) and artifacted. I appreciate the level of service I get versus Comcast in this area.
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

#24 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

I had Comcast for TV and internet for several years. In my area Comcast completely sucked in every way imaginable.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#25 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

Hence the minor exceptions clause......Personally I have yet to see a lil HD feed from D* that was better than that same station OTA.

I asked an NBC affilliate broadcast engineer of my acquaintance about this issue once a few months back --I was told at their station the D* feed (they take a fiber feed like Comcast --Dish takes it off air) happens after the equipment that dynamically allocates bandwidth between the OTA channels. I suspect that is the common setup.

It had occurred to me that it was possible that might not be the case --that the fiber feeds might be going out before the bit-robbing equipment had done its evil deed. But nope.

#26 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

Actually with only minor exceptions, OTA should always be top of the list as far a PQ of network television....

Something is terribly wrong somewhere if OTA-HD isn't the best PQ, period. Either some adjustment is out of whack or there's cockpit error.

MPEG-4 HD on some channels via D* can come very close, but OTA-HD is king of the hill, and there are technical reasons for this to be the case.

i agree. you guys are correct. ota to first of the line. then Directv :D
Directv member since 2008 HR34-700,HR24-500 & HR20-700-swm lnb
Sirius member since 2003

Dish member from 1999-2008 vip 622 & vip 211

RIP john h..........

#27 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

DTV picture was worlds ahead of my crappy comcast picture. There was certainly some certain channels in my market anyway that I noticed a BIG difference. Discovery, Universal HD and USA were awful on comcast.

#28 OFFLINE   KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

DTV picture was worlds ahead of my crappy comcast picture. There was certainly some certain channels in my market anyway that I noticed a BIG difference. Discovery, Universal HD and USA were awful on comcast.

You are right about that. When I had friends over last saturday for a get-together, we were watching the 2nd half of the Yankees-Red Sox game on FOX. One of my friends has Comcast while the rest have Cablevision. Since I have D*, one of my friends says that the HD on the D* look a lot better compared to the HD on Comcast in his house. As for the rest of my friends, they also noticed some difference between DirecTV and Cablevision HD PQ.

#29 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

On the other hand, a TV provider like DirecTV or Comcast (or Verizon or AT&T, etc.) could be pulling in a feed over fiber before that final stage of compression, and so could be delivering a higher-quality feed than what goes out OTA. True, most OTA stations are actually picked up OTA, recompressed using MPEG4 (with very little additional loss in most cases), and sent out, but some feeds are fiber and are very high quality.

Even the fiber feeds to the providers are only carrying that station's MPEG2 stream.

A station isn't going to spent the initial capital, nor pay more monthly for additional bandwidth, to provide a different feed to other providers.

Yes, local stations could...but they don't...it's either ATSC OTA pickup...or the same MPEG2 via fiber.

Better PQ supplied by locals to cable and sat is an interesting myth. What TV station would market, "Don't watch OTA when cable or sat has our best picture ever!"
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

spam firewall