Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Albany, GA

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

DMA: Albany, GA
Established: 8/4/2010

Edited by Gary Toma, 04 July 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Channel(s) affected: PBS - WABW/GPB (14)
Date: August 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th
Time: 24 hours a day
Description of Issue: WABW has no audio. Every now and then, audio will come for a second or two before cutting itself back off. Usually this is a repeated several times for a minute before going completely silent again.

Channel(s) affected: CW - WCWJ/CW (17), ABC - WJXX (25)
Date: August 4th - September 24th
Description of Issue: The two stations listed above only list "To Be Announced". I was informed by the CSR when activating locals yesterday that it might take up to 24 hours until guide data became available. However, guide data was available for the other locals as early as 5:30 A.M. yesterday, and it has now been well over 24 hours since I activated my locals, and the program guide still has the programming for these channels listed as "To Be Announced".
EDIT: Deleted PBS - WABW/GPB (14) as guide data is now available for it.

Channel(s) affected: CW - WCWJ/CW (17), ABC - WJXX (25)
Date: August 5th, 2010
Time: N/A
Description of Issue: The two channels listed above are not listed in DVR Scheduler (nor is WSST #55).

THE ABOVE ISSUES HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 May 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

• Channel(s) affected: CW - WCWJ/CW (17)
  • Date: August 5th
  • Time: 9:14 til... ???
  • Description of Issue: Flipping through channels showed WCWJ's audio to be cutting in and out. There was a problem with the picture briefly as well, but I'm not sure if that was a receiver problem or what because I changed the channel, and then changed it back and the picture problem went away, but the audio is still cutting in and out. It's similar in nature to the PBS problem listed above, but PBS is mostly silent whereas blips of audio on this channel is frequently in and out.
    NOTE: Unlike PBS, audio on this channel was working fine yesterday.... but that was SD programming, and tonight's the first night I was able to view HD programming. Once the programming returned to SD programming, the audio on WCWJ straightened out.

THE ABOVE ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 August 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

[B]Channel(s) affected:[/B] PBS - WABW/GPB (14), CW - WCWJ/CW (17), ABC - WJXX (25)
Date: August 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th.
Description of Issue: The three stations listed above only list "To Be Announced". I was informed by the CSR when activating locals yesterday that it might take up to 24 hours until guide data became available. However, guide data was available for the other locals as early as 5:30 A.M. yesterday, and it has now been well over 24 hours since I activated my locals, and the program guide still has the programming for these channels listed as "To Be Announced".

I wanted to provide some more "updated" information regarding the above.

I can "Flush" the Guide cache and program information appears. However, upon going back to the receiver later in the day, the channels say "To Be Announced" again.

For that brief period when guide data is available, you can record these channels. When it disappears, you're out of luck.

UPDATE: Guide data is now available for PBS - WABW/GPB (14). Two more channels left to go!

Edited by Alan Gordon, 25 September 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   rebeerf

rebeerf

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

TBA still on CW and ABC. Can reprogram and will see info for a few min then back to TBA.

#6 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Is the GPB PBS feed the same for all Georgia markets? (seem liek it should/would be)

I am in the Atlanta market and until recently we did not have the GPB (channel 8 for us) HD feed on DirecTV. I just noticed we did the other night. We only had the WPBA channel "30" HD feed in this market. I have a rooftop antenna but channel 8 is one that I am not able to pull in reliably due to terrain, so I have not had a HD option for GPB until now.

Does anyone know when GPB HD was added to the Atlatna (and other Georgia) market?

Edited by tkrandall, 18 August 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hey Alan I have called multiple times and they even sent a tech out. Everytime I call they tell me that they will sent over to broadcasting to look into. However they tell me that everytime.

#8 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

I notice when in guide if you go over to channel name it states (A3 Albany GA 17CW(Virt)and same with channel 25. What is (Virt) ?

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hey Alan I have called multiple times and they even sent a tech out. Everytime I call they tell me that they will sent over to broadcasting to look into. However they tell me that everytime.

Yep! I've reported it multiple times as well, and they've stated that they would be sending it to broadcasting for someone to look into. They've also told me that apparently nobody else has reported the problem, so I'm glad to see that was false.

Luckily, I've managed to convince them everytime that it's not my issue, so they've never bothered to send a tech out.

I do believe the issue SHOULD be straightened out in the next couple of days. :D

I notice when in guide if you go over to channel name it states (A3 Albany GA 17CW(Virt)and same with channel 25. What is (Virt) ?

Virtual.

I believe it has to do with the fact that WCWJ (CW) and WJXX (ABC) are both "imported" into the Albany, GA DMA.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   Bob Bloodworth

Bob Bloodworth

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Well I see that I am not the only one that has been fed a line by DirecTV on this issue. I also have the exact same problem with the guide on 17 and 25.

I was also told that it was a signal strength problem and that was not the case.

Also told to wait 24 hours, has almost been a month now and no fix.

And was told that I just needed to reset all four of our receivers. I noticed that it will pull in the guide information for only 4 hours and is only there for about 2.

Was told that was a national guide and not local, but this Sunday noticed that when I did a reset to get my guide that it pulled in local information.

Was told that it was the Jacksonville stations not giving them the guide information. If that was true, then how did they get a local church service in the guide after a reset this Sunday?

I agree that it is because Jacksonville is not a true local channel and I am suspecting that whenever the software runs to pull in the additional guide information after the reset, that is when the guide gets trashed for those 2 channels because they are not truly local.

They told me that they had not had any complaints, so must be something wrong with my system. Well I see that is bull also.

#11 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

And was told that I just needed to reset all four of our receivers. I noticed that it will pull in the guide information for only 4 hours and is only there for about 2.

You're lucky... I only get guide data on them for about 10-15 minutes... :rolleyes:

Was told that it was the Jacksonville stations not giving them the guide information. If that was true, then how did they get a local church service in the guide after a reset this Sunday?

DirecTV subscribers in the Jacksonville market have access to the guide data, so it's not an issue with WCWJ or WJXX. I have also contacted Tribune (who provides the guide data to DirecTV), who verified that the information for these two channels are correct for the Albany, GA DMA. The problem is on DirecTV's end.

They told me that they had not had any complaints, so must be something wrong with my system. Well I see that is bull also.

I'm not sure it's bull. It might be a computer issue. Several of the people I spoke to made me sit there for several minutes while they typed the report, and two of them read it back to me to make sure there were no errors. Each time I called back, the technical support person looked it up to see if it was a known issue, and each time said that it hadn't been reported before. They were just as confused as I was as to why my previous attempts to report it weren't showing up. :(

~Alan

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

You know...

I also wonder if it's an issue with DirecTV's database?!

When one goes to DirecTV's website, and enters in one's zip code and county to see what local channels are available, WCWJ and WJXX are listed in the SD channel section instead of the HD section.

~Alan

#13 OFFLINE   Bob Bloodworth

Bob Bloodworth

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

I finally started making some progress with them by stopping calling, and emailing them instead. Turns out if you email, it actually gets forwarded to management. after several emails back and forth, they actually picked up the phone and called me. This was only after I stated that I found someone else who was having the same exact issue as me. That seemed to get their attention.

They suggested that everyone in this area send them an email in addition to calling.

I also suggested to them that it is a database issue, or more than likely a programming issue. A reset does pull in the guide, but whenever the secondary routine that runs in the background pulling down the guide information then overwrites what the first routine found. It could be that is pulling from a different table that doesn't recognize the Jacksonville area as being part of our local market.

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

They suggested that everyone in this area send them an email in addition to calling.

Per your comment above, I E-mailed them. Here's the reply I got back:

Thanks for taking the time to write us and let us know your concerns about your DIRECTV account. I see that you've been with us for years now. I hope you have been enjoying your service and we look forward to serving you in years to come.

I sincerely apologize for the problems you are having with your local channels ABC and CW. Since it's difficult to troubleshoot technical issues by email, ou may find some additional help at directv.com/troubleshooting. Otherwise, please our technical support center at 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance. Our Technical Support agents are trained to walk you through a number of troubleshooting steps which are too difficult to try to talk through over email. Also, you may find some helpful information at the DIRECTV Technical Help forums. Just visit http://forums.directv.com/pe/index.jsp to find answers to your questions.

Thank you again for writing and we appreciate the opportunity of letting us address your concern.

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

Per your comment above, I E-mailed them. Here's the reply I got back:

So... I contacted them again via phone (per the E-mail's suggestion). I'm assuming it's due to the E-mail, but the person knew what I was calling about prior to me telling him. After a few minutes, he asked if he could put me on hold, and went to speak with his boss.

He came back a few minutes later, and if I understood him correctly, he stated that they could see where the issue has been escalated before, but that the issues (report?) had been marked as if it had been resolved each time. He apologized for the problem, escalated it once more, and told me to call back on Tuesday should the problem not be fixed by then.

~Alan

#16 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Alan, have you made that call to Directv? I'm on the phone with them and they still seem dumbfounded about the issue. It's getting old.

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

Alan, have you made that call to Directv? I'm on the phone with them and they still seem dumbfounded about the issue. It's getting old.

Not exactly. HOWEVER, I have been in contact with DirecTV.

They are now aware of the issue, and are looking into it! :D

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Is everyone still having issues with the guide data for The CW and ABC?!

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Still here. Had a case management file last week. They sent another tech out and he said it was a problem with down feed from satillite. Got a call back the next day and are aware and working on it. I also talk to WSWG today and they said that Directv did a 24hr test yesterday so hopefully we will get it soon.

#20 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

We now had guide information for channel 17 and 25.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...