Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

This thread is to replace the earlier 3DTV .. What works, what doesn't thread to try and narrow down EXACTLY what hardware that you guys consider broken.

So rather than blame DIRECTV for not showing 3DTV on your set or suggest what DIRECTV needs to do to "fix" the problem, list the hardware that you have and why you think it's broken.

This includes everything .. DVR model and firmware, TV model and firmware (if possible), AVR model and firmware (if possible), glasses model and firmware (if possible), any switches, converters, voodoo spells, or hexes that may be causing you problems. Also, include a full description of why you think it's not working correctly.

PLEASE, do not turn this into a discussion thread. There are other threads available for that including the one linked above. The goal of this thread is to pass specific technical information to DIRECTV so that they can investigate the situation and hopefully make improvements that will benefit everyone.

Thanks ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

I have a Mits WD-73735 with the 3DC-1000 converter. With a HR24-500 connected directly to the 3DC-1000 and it connected directly to the WD-73735 anytime I use a DVR function it appears that the TV and HR24 lose sync since the video will blank out for a number of seconds. I've replaced the HR24-500 with a HR23-700, that was the only thing that changed, and no problems at all.

UPDATE: As another data point I connected a H21-100 and used MRV to play content from the HR24-500. All DVR functions worked, no losing picture when exiting a DVR function.

Edited by RAD, 06 August 2010 - 01:03 PM.
Added that H21-100 DVR functions worked better then HR24-500 in 3D mode

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 ONLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

This includes everything .. DVR model and firmware, TV model and firmware (if possible), AVR model and firmware (if possible), glasses model and firmware (if possible), any switches, converters, voodoo spells, or hexes that may be causing you problems. Also, include a full description of why you think it's not working correctly.

• DVR model and firmware: HR24/500, 0x405
    [HDTV > Native is set to Off; all resolutions are enabled; current resolution is 1080i]
  • TV model and firmware: Samsung PN58C8000, T-VALAUSC-1021.2
  • AVR model and firmware: Pioneer VSX-1020-K
    [Video Parameter > RES is set to PURE]
  • glasses model: Samsung SSG-2200AR
Why it's not working correctly:
Channel 103 n3D can only be successfully tuned to when the previous channel tuned was in 1080i; otherwise an attempt to tune to 103 gets only a black screen with this message: "This 3D program is broadcast in [previous resolution]. Your 3D TV does not support this resolution. (797)", where [previous resolution] is the resolution of the previous channel tuned. For instance, if I tune first to 206 ESPNHD, then I tune to 103, the message will say that this 3D program is broadcast in 720p (which of course is not true). If I tune first to any SD channel before changing to 103, the message will say that this 3D program is broadcast in 480i (which is silly). Also, if I am tuned to a 1080i HD channel, but I have the TV's 2d->3d conversion turned on, video is also blocked with the above message, which now says the 3D program is broadcast in 720p.

Comment: This problem is easy to work around: just remember to tune to a 1080i channel (and turn off 2d->3d conversion) before trying channel 103 (or trying to play a 3D recording, which works the same way).
Greg

#4 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

I know this is not an officially supported setup but here it is.

I listed the gear in the order that they are connected.

HR24-500
Mitsubishi 3DA-1
Gefen HDMI Detective Plus with the EDID of a Mitsubishi Diamond Model WD73837
Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver
Samsung HL61A750 (3D ready DLP HDTV)

Samsung SSG1000 3D Glasses

I am able to get a great 3D picture after the recent adjustments DirecTv made to the way it broadcasts the 3D signal. Thank you DirecTv.

However, my audio through my Onkyo is only PCM 2.0 even though I have Dolby Digital set to on in the HR24-500 menu. My guess is that the HR24-500 is reading the EDID information to determine what audio format to send out rather than the customers selection from the audio menu from the DirecTv Receiver. The 3D checkerboard signal that is converted from the 3DA-1 is compatible with HDMI 1.3 equipment unlike the other 3D signals.

If DirecTv would use the customers audio selection rather than the EDID information for audio selection then this problem would go away. Others who use a 3DA-1 have indicated that they own other gear that allows the user to determine the audio rather than the EDID so I know this is possible.

I am not looking for official support from DirecTv with my setup as I know that it is not officially supported but the fix seems so simple that it sure would be nice for DirecTv to do it. Additionally, I do not see how a fix would impact anyone else negatively. I know of many others that are using a similar 3D setup. Thanks.

Edited by geaux tigers, 09 August 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   jwitt

jwitt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:34 AM

This is not an officially supported setup, but it works great.
Gear is listed in order of connection:

HR21-200 (0x3de)
Mitsubishi 3DA-1
Gefen HDMI Detective Plus with the EDID of a Mitsubishi WD73C9
Samsung HL72A650 (3D ready DLP HDTV,original firmware.)
(Onkyo A/V Receiver handling audio only via digital from DVR.)
XpanD Link 102 glasses.

I am able to get a great 3D picture and it switches back and forth between all resolutions of 2d and back to 3d without a problem since the 3d channels became active recently. I believe it started working after recent guide threshhold adjustments made by DirecTv. Much appreciated!

Problem: For a few days, all the 3d channels have been active, not greyed out. Yesterday, I noticed that channel 104, Cine3d pay for view (Imax Nascar) is now greyed out. Any attempt to buy or record gives the message, "Your receiver is not authorized" message. My receiver is plugged into a phone line and networked. Others are having the same problem.

All the 3d from the guide and programing via VOD had automatically arrived at the tv in the correct checkerboard format, except VOD soccer. It arrives in a side by side format requiring a mode change. Not a big problem, just an observation for your information.
Thanks, JIM

Edited by jwitt, 07 August 2010 - 01:57 PM.
Firmware insert

#6 OFFLINE   raclevel

raclevel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

Components listed in order of preferred connections:

HR22-100 SW 0x3de (HDMI); Sony BDP-S560 (HDMI); XBOX360 (HDMI); HP Desktop (HDMI); JVC MC303 Karaoke Player (Compasite, RCA); Yamaha PF800 Turntable (RCA)

Yamaha AVR RX-V3900 Firmware Vers: 1.11
3DC-1000 converter, Mitsubishi and Samsung Glasses
Mitsubishi DLP WD 73833 Firmware Vers 9.01
Universal Remote Logitech Harmony 880

Speaker Systems - Mains Paradign Studio Ref 100 (2ea), Center Paradigm Studio REf (1ea), Surrounds Polk Audio Lsi/FX (4ea); Subwoofer MK MX200

Problem 1: All 3D channels grayed out if a HDMI 1.3 AVR is placed between DVR and 3DC-1000 converter with message that Receiver or TV not 3D capable. This is reported to be due to the EDID Check for 3D hardware and a fix to allow the 3D content to be sent regardless of this check would be greatly appreciated as it requires additional cables and recabling each time if multiple 3D sources are used ie 3D blu-ray and DTV DVR as the 3DC-1000 converter has only one HDMI input and output...Also requires aditional switching of TV inputs etc...

Problem 2: With AVR bybassed ie DVR to Converter to TV: DVR must be turned off then back on to get video to display on TV. This must be done anytime I switch from 2D channel to 3D channel, or from 3D channel to 2D channel, or if the DVR is reset. Audio works via optical connection between DVR and AVR but not video..I get a blue screen on the TV until I do the off/on to the DVR sometimes must be done several times. Problem 2 was fixed with a firmware update on the TV to version 9.03

Problem 3: Channel 104 is currently grayed out but 103, 105 and 106 are good to go..3D Channels are intermittently greyed out but seem to get normal if one is tuned to seccussfully..

Edited by raclevel, 17 September 2010 - 09:29 AM.
Updated information

#7 OFFLINE   scubawoman

scubawoman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Mitsubishi WD 73835
3DC-1000
Onkyo TX-NR905
HR24-50
Octava 5x1 switch

I have a suggestion for Directv. With their next HD DVR to have 2 HDMI, 1 of which you can turn video off to allow sound so you can connect to 1.3 avr instead of having to use optical out.

I am not having any problems with anything not working.

#8 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

HR24-500
Mitsubishi 3DA-1

I am able to get a great 3D picture after the recent adjustments DirecTv made to the way it broadcasts the 3D signal. Thank you DirecTv.

However, my audio through my Onkyo is only PCM 2.0 even though I have Dolby Digital set to on in the HR24-500 menu. My guess is that the HR24-500 is reading the EDID information to determine what audio format to send out rather than the customers selection from the audio menu from the DirecTv Receiver. The 3D checkerboard signal that is converted from the 3DA-1 is compatible with HDMI 1.3 equipment unlike the other 3D signals.

If DirecTv would use the customers audio selection rather than the EDID information for audio selection then this problem would go away. Others who use a 3DA-1 have indicated that they own other gear that allows the user to determine the audio rather than the EDID so I know this is possible.

I am not looking for official support from DirecTv with my setup as I know that it is not officially supported but the fix seems so simple that it sure would be nice for DirecTv to do it. Additionally, I do not see how a fix would impact anyone else negatively. I know of many others that are using a similar 3D setup. Thanks.

My HR24-500 rebooted on its on. So far I have been unable to reestablish the 3D signal. I wonder if Directv changed its broadcasting code again. The 3D channels are not greyed out but just will not play. My 3D recordings also will not play. I get a this TV is not 3D capable message. Anyone else having problems? Everything was working prior as described above prior to the reboot.

#9 OFFLINE   jwitt

jwitt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

HR21-200 (0x3de)
Mitsubishi 3DA-1
Gefen HDMI Detective Plus with the EDID of a Mitsubishi WD73C9
Samsung HL72A650 (3D ready DLP HDTV,original firmware.)
(Onkyo A/V Receiver handling audio only via digital from DVR.)
XpanD Link 102 glasses.

104 still greyed out and won't let me "Pay for view".
I had hoped that we could get some feed back on problems like this from D*.
It takes time to write these posts and we are doing it to help D* as much as ourselves.
They could say we are working on it, be patient, a few more days, a few weeks, never, whatever.
It would save us and D* many time consuming calls to tech support, who really don't have a clue about the current problems. During my call to tech support, I was told that there was something wrong with my receiver, and if a reset didn't fixit, call back and they would send out a new DVR.
Well, maybe I do need a new receiver.
JIM

#10 OFFLINE   BlvJohn

BlvJohn

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

So rather than blame DIRECTV for not showing 3DTV on your set or suggest what DIRECTV needs to do to "fix" the problem, list the hardware that you have and why you think it's broken.

TV: Panasonic TC-P58VT25
DVR: DirecTV (HR21)
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR608

Issue: HDMI 3D handshake does not properly pass through AVR. The TV needs to be manually set to convert the side-by-side video stream. This is a known issue and reportedly may affect other, newer Onkyo 1.4a AVRs.

Background: Reserach on various forums suggest that either: 1) the Onkyo AVR is not properly passing the HDMI 1.4a 3D Infoframe/VSI data from the DirecTV DVR to the Panasonic TV or 2) DirecTV decided to not use the HDMI 1.4 spec for the 3D InfoFrame/VSI data and are using their own technique built on the HDMI 1.3 spec which the Onkyo AVR does not recognize and pass properly (however, the Panasonic TV does recognize it if directly connected to the DirecTV DVR).

Onkyo Firmware Fix: Regardless of the exact problem, Onkyo reportedly has an 'experimental' firmware upgrade that addresses the issue; however, it has not been officially released and it is not clear if, when, or how it will be released (upgrading firmware on the TX-SR608 requires upload of an encoded audio file and can be risky for non-technicians to implement).

DirecTV Fix: I am not aware of any fix being worked on by DirecTV.

Edited by BlvJohn, 12 August 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

Now that my adapter is here, I can confirm that the following does not work:

HR21-200 -> Onkyo TX-SR875 -> 3DC-1000 3d adapter -> Mitsubishi WD-73736 TV.

The DVR gives me the message about not having a 3D display. When the receiver is out of the loop, it works. But then of course I have my audio issues, I can't use the built in scaler, and I'd have to get another switch to view other devices in 3d.

As far as what DirecTV needs to do to fix this: Allow selection of 3d output even if the DVR doesn't think there's a 3d display.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

Please be advised that I have deleted a number of posts from this thread .. This thread is for specific problems only, not discussion.

If you'd like to discuss something in particular either open a new thread or use an existing one. Thank You.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

HR24-500
Mitsubishi 3DA-1

I was able to reestablish 3D service several days back. However, my audio through HDMI is still limited to PCM 2.0 using the same setup that I posted before.

In the guide it lists my 3D supported resolutions as 720p, 1080i, 1080p/24, 1080p/30, and 1080p/60.

I did a report for DirecTv and the the report number is 20100817-1369.

#14 OFFLINE   coreyschaaf

coreyschaaf

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hey all, I have been reading and doing lots of research as to which receiver to try as even the 1.4 receivers are having issues with direcTV's 3D signal. I can however confirm the following does work:

Mitsubishi WD-73835 TV (Using 1.4 HDMI cables) connected to:
Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 Adapter (using 1.4 HDMI cables) connected to:
Denon AVR-2311 CL connected to:
  • PS3 System (using a 1.4 HDMI cable)
  • DirecTV hr24-500 (using a 1.4 HDMI cable)
  • Xbox 360 (using 1.3 cable)

Note: I am not using DirecTV's recommended setting of passing the Audio to the Reciever using an Optical cable and connecting the adapter directly to the 3DC-1000 (kind of pointless if you have multiple components needing the Adapter). I am using 1.4 HDMI cables and the Denon AVR-2311 CL is passing DirecTV's 3D signal without any interruptions.

I watched 3D in my house last night and it was pretty cool. If you have any questions on my setup or how I got it to work, feel free to ask. I was just as frustrated as alot of you. One thing when hooking up the system, you must power everything down and back up when you first hook everything up as DirecTV's signal wasn't recognizing the signal the first time through. I think the HDMI connections needed to be reset, but I haven't had any problems other than that.

Also, go to electronics-expo.com and use the coupon code LABORDAYWEEKEND and get the receiver I mentioned above for $647.00 including shipping and taxes (it's priced at $899.99 at BestBuy and Ultimate Electronics. That's where mine came from (all new non-refurbished systems in case you're wondering).

One note on this receiver - the IPOD Dock / USB port on the front does not seem to be compatible with iPhone's OS4.0. iPhone OS3.0 are reported to be working.

#15 OFFLINE   JackBarry

JackBarry

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Mitsubishi's new TV models WD-73738 and WD-73838 support both Side by Side and Checkerboard signals.
1. Is there anyone out who has or know anyone who has successfully hooked up a Direct TV Receiver directly to the above TV models with out using the Mitsubishi Adaptor.
2. Has anyone with an Onkyo Receiver or Pre-amp successfully passed a 3D signal to the Mitsubishi Adaptor or Directly to the TV without the Mitsu Adaptor?
3. Has anyone used a powered HDMI Splitter attached to the Direct TV Receiver with the DTV Receiver attached to the Mitsu Adaptor and the other HDMI output from the Splitter attached to an Onkyo AVR or Pre-amp.

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

With the VSX-33 in the signal path HR23-700->VSX-33->Mits 3DC-1000->Mits WD-73735 I'm unable to play 3D content. The HR23 is reporting the ONLY 3D resolution that's supported is 1080i. The HR23 is reporting all the 2D resolutions via the Pioneer correctly, just the 3D is messed up. Everything I've tried to play is blocked by the HR23 saying it needs to be either 720p or 1080p/24. Pull the Pioneer out of the signal path and all is fine again. Tried every setting I could in the video and HDMI setup on the Pioneer, no joy.

I called Pioneer support and they can back saying there must be some incompatability between the two boxes and they'd open a ticket for me. Never mind, box is going back, guess I'll just stick with the Denon AVR-891 which is working.

#17 ONLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

The HR23 is reporting the ONLY 3D resolution that's supported is 1080i.

But isn't that correct? AFAIK all the 3D on DirecTV has been 1080i. Normally, my HR24-500 says the only supported resolution is 1080i for 3D. (Sometimes it says all resolutions are supported in 3D, but I think at those times it is just confused.)
Greg

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

But isn't that correct? AFAIK all the 3D on DirecTV has been 1080i. Normally, my HR24-500 says the only supported resolution is 1080i for 3D. (Sometimes it says all resolutions are supported in 3D, but I think at those times it is just confused.)

Not in my setup. The Misc Options shows 720p, 1080i, 1080p/24, 1080p/30 and 1080p/60. I tried to view what was on ch 103 and STB said display didn't support 720p and wouldn't play it. Tried a recording and STB said display didn't support 1080p/24 and wouldn't play it.

#19 ONLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

I tried to view what was on ch 103 and STB said display didn't support 720p and wouldn't play it.

I've played all the programs on ch 103 (and the CES demo) and asked my TV what the resolution was (using the Info button). It always says 1080i. I don't believe there is anything on ch 103 that is not in 1080i. I also get the error message you mention from my HR24-500 that I've asked to play a 3D 720p program on ch 103 (as I've reported previously), but my interpretation is that the D* receiver is just hopelessly confused. It's a bug.
Greg

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

I've played all the programs on ch 103 (and the CES demo) and asked my TV what the resolution was (using the Info button). It always says 1080i. I don't believe there is anything on ch 103 that is not in 1080i. I also get the error message you mention from my HR24-500 that I've asked to play a 3D 720p program on ch 103 (as I've reported previously), but my interpretation is that the D* receiver is just hopelessly confused. It's a bug.

When I play stuff from 103, like the Africa stuff, my receiver (using HR23-700 due to problems with HR24-500) it lights up the 720 and 1080 LED's which means it's putting out 1080p. I also check the TV's info display and the video info on the Denon AVR and they both also report 1080p.

I do have a problem playing DoD 3D recordings, they may start out saying 1080i or 1080p according to the HR23's LED and then if I use 30skip it will toggle to the other output resolution, do it again and it toggles back, each time causing a resync between the HR23 and the TV.

spam firewall