Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

No new commitment to upgrade from HR20 (not 3d compatible) to 3D capable HR.

Nice to hear I was incorrect on the commitment, glad that DIRECTV steps up and does a free swap because the HR20/H20 can't do 3D.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

I submitted an issue support.directv.com/app/ask.

Attached is my exchange with DirecTV on this problem. The two most important quotes from DirecTV are below:

"I have verified that your TV supports the 3D channels, however, please make sure that the receiver is connected directly using HDMI cables to your 3DTV and is not being run through other devices such as a Blu-Ray or A/V receiver."

"I have forwarded your suggestion regarding the format in which we broadcast 3D on to DIRECTV Management for review."

My support email and reply didn't even 'get forwarded for review.' My email to them explained I was getting the (797) error on most PPV's and most ESPN 3D broadcasts, and how if I bypassed my AVR everything worked. I acknowledges that the Pioneer caused the problem. I also explained the difficulty in wiring my system and programming my remotes when bypassing the AVR, as you did with your wall mount issue. The body of my email to them was asking if DirecTV could please look into a fix with HR firmware. Here's the reply:
-------------------------------

Subject Line: Couldn't buy a 3D Pay Per View PPV

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Marilou A. - 100133544) - 02/16/2011 06:45 PM
Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxx,

Thanks for taking the time to write us. I see that you have been a loyal DIRECTV customer for many years. I want you to know that we truly appreciate your business.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting 3D programming.

I'd like to inform you that error message that you're getting usually appears when running the 3D signal through an AV receiver, Blu-ray player, or other device.

Please know that the 3D ready receiver must be directly connected to the 3DTV via HDMI cables. This is because 3D data is communicated directly between the receiver and the TV through the HDMI cable. Thus, connecting any devices in between the receiver and the TV interrupts that 3D data.

Additionally, most AV receivers do not currently support the proper pass through of the HDMI data. These types of AV receivers will not work with 3D. Please check with your AV receiver manufacturer to determine if it will work with 3D.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Maxxxxxx
Employee ID xxxx
DIRECTV Customer Service

#183 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

Are you suggesting that DirecTV engineer dozens of fixes so that all third party AV equipment will pass through 3D signals? If so, I'll bet dollars to donuts (mmmmm , Doouugghnuttttts!) that won't happen.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#184 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

Are you suggesting that DirecTV engineer dozens of fixes so that all third party AV equipment will pass through 3D signals? If so, I'll bet dollars to donuts (mmmmm , Doouugghnuttttts!) that won't happen.

Of course not. Based on the earlier posts, I dont think that would be the case at all. While I certainly don't pretend to know what's technically involved, many other posts here suggest that a single fix would address the problems-- a firmware update with code that addresses upscaling (see numerous previous posts for details), and/or the manner in which DTV recently changed sending the signal could be addressed. Also, if this issue were affecting 'most' of those who use HDMI > AVR >TV this would be a lot longer thread.

The bigger issue seems to be that there are no standards, but that's a whole different can of worms that I'm not going near.

#185 OFFLINE   Raddle

Raddle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

...most AV receivers do not currently support the proper pass through of the HDMI data. These types of AV receivers will not work with 3D. Please check with your AV receiver manufacturer to determine if it will work with 3D.

It's disappointing this is the party line with DirecTV support. I still have not seen any communication directly from DirecTV engineering or management affirming they are working to solve the problem. Very disappointing.

#186 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

It's disappointing this is the party line with DirecTV support. I still have not seen any communication directly from DirecTV engineering or management affirming they are working to solve the problem. Very disappointing.

I'm not sure that they ever let us know when they're working on a fix. At least its very rare, and I can understand that I guess.

#187 OFFLINE   drkashner

drkashner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

No new commitment to upgrade from HR20 (not 3d compatible) to 3D capable HR. Just had an HR20 swapped for an HR24 + free AM21 in mid-Jan because I got a 3D TV and had an HR20. I specifically asked and was told, then checked and verified after the install that there was no commitment added.

They have 2 specific promos in their system. 1 gives you a "no commitment" no cost even for shipping swap for the HR20 or H20->to an H or HR21,2,3,4 receiver and the other gives you a free AM-21 OTA box if you were using OTA on your current HR20 box.

Make sure you confirm with the rep that they are aware of these 2 promos. If not have them check with a supervisor for the promo numbers.

I have the HR20-700 and just got a Samsung 3d TV. I really didn't care about the 3d, but as long as I have it, I might as well use it. I really have to have my OTA channels. Those with the AM21 does it work ok? Also what model DVR am I likely to get if I get it swapped out.

#188 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

I have the HR20-700 and just got a Samsung 3d TV. I really didn't care about the 3d, but as long as I have it, I might as well use it. I really have to have my OTA channels. Those with the AM21 does it work ok? Also what model DVR am I likely to get if I get it swapped out.

HR24-500 w/AM21 works like a charm.
You might as well connect the HDMI directly to the tv vs routing it through an AVR if you want it to work for 3d.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#189 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

I've used HR24-100/HR24-200 and HR24-500's, all with AM21's, on 3D sets plus a HR23-700. In the beginning there were some issues, the only problem I've seen (and that was a couple months ago) was the download of SOS Planet on the HR24-500 wouldn't play without breaking up. I don't have any HR24-500's on a 3D set at the moment so I don't know if they fixed that or not.

As for what model you'll get, as per standard DIRECTV practice, it can be anything from a HR21 to a HR24, with the odds most likely a refurb HR21/HR22 since they've been out the longest.

#190 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Part of the "free upgrade" deal is that they also give you a free AM21 if you need OTA. Don't let them tell you otherwise. There is an actual policy that provides that as there is for the HR20->HR21,2,3,4 upgrade. I got an HR21 but it was defective on receipt (yea, they really test all refurbs before shipping them out) so a tech brought out an HR24 which works fine with the AM21.

#191 OFFLINE   drkashner

drkashner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:44 AM

Part of the "free upgrade" deal is that they also give you a free AM21 if you need OTA. Don't let them tell you otherwise. There is an actual policy that provides that as there is for the HR20->HR21,2,3,4 upgrade. I got an HR21 but it was defective on receipt (yea, they really test all refurbs before shipping them out) so a tech brought out an HR24 which works fine with the AM21.

Thanks, I guess theres no way to be sure I can get an HR24. I'm going to call them Monday.

#192 OFFLINE   drkashner

drkashner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

[quote name='TBlazer07']No new commitment to upgrade from HR20 (not 3d compatible) to 3D capable HR. Just had an HR20 swapped for an HR24 + free AM21 in mid-Jan because I got a 3D TV and had an HR20. I specifically asked and was told, then checked and verified after the install that there was no commitment added.

They have 2 specific promos in their system. 1 gives you a "no commitment" no cost even for shipping swap for the HR20 or H20->to an H or HR21,2,3,4 receiver and the other gives you a free AM-21 OTA box if you were using OTA on your current HR20 box.

Make sure you confirm with the rep that they are aware of these 2 promos. If not have them check with a supervisor for the promo numbers.[/QUO

Thanks for letting me know about the promotions. Called DTV this morning and got a different dvr and the am21 for no cost. I didn't ask, but she told me there was no commitment. I knew they did away with that after the lawsuit. I asked if there was any way I could get an HR24 and she said that I would get whatever they had that was compatible with 3d.

#193 OFFLINE   coota

coota

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Do the new LG Cinema 3D tv's work with Directv. These are the ones that use regular theater type glasses.

#194 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't work. I would have to believe that LG would be making them compatible with all standards for 3D that are being used right now.

However, I would think the picture quality is probably going to suffer a bit. DirecTVs 3D system already has to cut the resolution by half in order to get the channel to work with their equipment (side by side 3d). Then the LG passive 3D displays also have to cut the resolution in half in order for it to work with their passive displays. So I'm thinking you are oging to end up with pretty much a standard def 3D picture by the time you get to see it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#195 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Do the new LG Cinema 3D tv's work with Directv. These are the ones that use regular theater type glasses.

I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't work. I would have to believe that LG would be making them compatible with all standards for 3D that are being used right now.

However, I would think the picture quality is probably going to suffer a bit. DirecTVs 3D system already has to cut the resolution by half in order to get the channel to work with their equipment (side by side 3d). Then the LG passive 3D displays also have to cut the resolution in half in order for it to work with their passive displays. So I'm thinking you are oging to end up with pretty much a standard def 3D picture by the time you get to see it.

I wonder if you really are double-reducing the resolution, that's in interesting question? I did find this from Consumer reports regarding passive glasses, assuming that's what the LG is using...

Cons:The most significant downside to this passive 3D technology: noticeable loss of resolution when in the 3D mode because of the way that the separate 3D images are displayed. Each eye receives only half the 1080p vertical resolution of the image. The loss of resolution might be visually subtle to some viewers, depending on the 3D program material, but it's likely to be noticeable—and bothersome—to more discerning viewers, especially on a big screen.

Also note that Samsung has reduced the price on their Active glasses down to $49.

#196 OFFLINE   HDMike

HDMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Will they send am AM21 even if your market has HD locals on DTV? I ask because when I swapped an H20 (which had OTA tuners) for an H24 (which did not) to get MRV, they refused my request for the AM21 for that reason.

I would also lose all the unwatched recordings on the eSATA drive connected to the HR20 :(

When will DTV ever allow the external drives to be ported to replacement receivers for this exact reason? :confused:

Mike

#197 OFFLINE   drkashner

drkashner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

Will they send am AM21 even if your market has HD locals on DTV? I ask because when I swapped an H20 (which had OTA tuners) for an H24 (which did not) to get MRV, they refused my request for the AM21 for that reason.

I would also lose all the unwatched recordings on the eSATA drive connected to the HR20 :(

When will DTV ever allow the external drives to be ported to replacement receivers for this exact reason? :confused:

Mike

I have all locals in HD on Directv except the CW and they sent me an AM21 for free.

#198 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I'm new to D* and tried to tune to ESPN-3D for the first time last night. My setup:

HR24-500 --HDMI--> Pioneer VSX-1020K --HDMI--> Samsung 53PNC8000

I got the same 720p format not supported msg that others have received. Not really an NBA fan, so no urgency on my part, was just curious. I'll toy with settings over the next couple weeks before finally taking the AVR out of the loop.

#199 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

I'm new to D* and tried to tune to ESPN-3D for the first time last night. My setup:

I got the same 720p format not supported msg that others have received. Not really an NBA fan, so no urgency on my part, was just curious. I'll toy with settings over the next couple weeks before finally taking the AVR out of the loop.

IIRC folks that have contacted Pioneer were told the problem would be fixed in the 2011 models and no fix for the 2010's. When I tried the Pioneer's, including the 1020 nothing worked as long as it was in the signal path.

#200 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

IIRC folks that have contacted Pioneer were told the problem would be fixed in the 2011 models and no fix for the 2010's. When I tried the Pioneer's, including the 1020 nothing worked as long as it was in the signal path.

Rad is entirely correct. Others have suggested that DirecTV could fix the issue, but for whatever reason they haven't. The issue will affect not just NBA, but all other sports on ESPN and I'm the same error affecting other events and programs on other channels, including DirectTVs 3D PPV offerings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...