Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Rad is entirely correct. Others have suggested that DirecTV could fix the issue, but for whatever reason they haven't. The issue will affect not just NBA, but all other sports on ESPN and I'm the same error affecting other events and programs on other channels, including DirectTVs 3D PPV offerings.

Thanks guys, I won't waste my time fiddling then.

itzme: I realize it will affect ALL sports on ESPN, I was only referring to the immediacy or rather the lack thereof. The only upcoming 3D broadcasts seem to be all NBA. I've yet to try any 3D PPV. How about VOD? i noticed a 3D VOD channel that I hadn't noticed before.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

I can confirm that the issue prevents you from viewing some 3D PPVs on that channel, but I can say for certain the issue affects all of them. I wish DirecTV would fix this (if they can, as many suspect). You should also report this issue online. They tell you to make sure to bybass your AVR and keep a direct HDMI connection. For various reasons for many of us, that isn't an easy option to do, or an option at all if its wall mounted, and if we'd like our $3000 TVs to play through our sound system's speakers.

#203 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

No new commitment to upgrade from HR20 (not 3d compatible) to 3D capable HR. Just had an HR20 swapped for an HR24 + free AM21 in mid-Jan because I got a 3D TV and had an HR20. I specifically asked and was told, then checked and verified after the install that there was no commitment added.

They have 2 specific promos in their system. 1 gives you a "no commitment" no cost even for shipping swap for the HR20 or H20->to an H or HR21,2,3,4 receiver and the other gives you a free AM-21 OTA box if you were using OTA on your current HR20 box.

Make sure you confirm with the rep that they are aware of these 2 promos. If not have them check with a supervisor for the promo numbers.

Thanks for the heads up, TBlazer. My new HD DVR and AM21 are on the way at no charge and no new commitment. Again, thanks.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#204 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up, TBlazer. My new HD DVR and AM21 are on the way at no charge and no new commitment. Again, thanks.

So I just recently replaced my 2010 Samsung c8000 panel with the 2011 d8000. I knew that my DirecTV receiver had problems with my Pioneer 1020 AVR with most ESPN3D content, some other sports, and DirecTV Pay-per-Views. But now I discovered that even MORE programming won't play back and is getting the Resolution Incompatibility error message (which is wrong).

I just went to play Encounter in the Third Dimension from ch103, something I had recorded awhile back and played on my C8000 several times. Now that program gets the error message, too. Why? Thats a real mystery!

I really wish DirecTV would consider fixing this, assuming that can. At least Pioneer had the guts to admit it was a problem with their AVR and that they wouldn't be fixing it, but they indicated to others that DirecTV could fix it- if they wanted to. Frustrated.

If anyone has ever found a fix to this issue, or a workaround that doesn't involve a separate HDMI cable, splitter, and separate optical cable and lots of splitting and switching, please let me know.

#205 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

I know it's been said before, you just need to bypass the Pinoeer AVR. Run HDMI from the DIRECTV receiver to the TV and an optical or coax feed for the digital so you get DD5.1 audio. Either that or get rid of the Pioneer, which I know you've said you can't. Since DIRECTV has said they'll only support problems with a direct connection I wouldn't wait for them to fix the issue. Frankly I don't see this as a bad solution, it's only an additional optical/coax cable for the audio to your Pioneer, the HDMI that now goes to the Pioneer just gets moved to the TV. Then on the TV you either select HDMI1 for your Poineer's HDMI output or HDMI2 for yor DIRECTV receiver.

I have a HR24 connected to a PN51D8000, which replaced a PN50C8000 and all content plays with the direct connection for video and optical to my Onkyo for audio.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#206 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

I really wish DirecTV would consider fixing this, assuming that can. At least Pioneer had the guts to admit it was a problem with their AVR and that they wouldn't be fixing it, but they indicated to others that DirecTV could fix it- if they wanted to.

But wasn't it that Pioneer wasn't going to fix it in their 2010 models, you wanted a fix you had to purchase a new 2011?

Could DIRECTV fix it, maybe, probably could. But then what about someone with another vendors AVR that doesn't work, they then need to spend the time and resources to put in a work around for that vendor. IMHI it's just the times we live in, they come up with the HDMI specification and one vendor interprets the specs different then another and you end up with compatibility issues. Ah, for the days of simple analog connections;)

#207 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hi RAD, as usual you make all valid points, though I think I have a different impression on the advantages of DTV fixing the issues with Pioneer. I was thinking that if they fixed it for the Pioneer 1020-k, they'd likely be fixing it for some other AVRs that are having similar problems. I believe the fix involved the method DTV uses in broadcasting and/or encoding some 3D signal (I may be wrong there, I never really understood the root issue). Is that wrong? Do we know if more than us pre-2011 Pioneer owners might benefit?

On a related topic, is there a list of AVR models that can't pass-through the 3D signal?

I realize many benefits to having all devices (including two HR-24s) pass through the AVR and enter into the panels HDMI2 input, too many to mention in detail. That said, someday I hope to insert an HDMI splitter behind my rack, that will let me have one hook-up as pass-through and another as direct. The reason I re-posted here was to see if a better solution might now exist, before I go through doing all that and praying it doesn't mess up anything else.

#208 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

I know it's been said before, you just need to bypass the Pinoeer AVR. Run HDMI from the DIRECTV receiver to the TV and an optical or coax feed for the digital so you get DD5.1 audio. Either that or get rid of the Pioneer, which I know you've said you can't. Since DIRECTV has said they'll only support problems with a direct connection I wouldn't wait for them to fix the issue. Frankly I don't see this as a bad solution, it's only an additional optical/coax cable for the audio to your Pioneer, the HDMI that now goes to the Pioneer just gets moved to the TV. Then on the TV you either select HDMI1 for your Poineer's HDMI output or HDMI2 for yor DIRECTV receiver. I have a HR24 connected to a PN51D8000, which replaced a PN50C8000 and all content plays with the direct connection for video and optical to my Onkyo for audio.

Thats all fine and dandy. What about those of us who had our TVs calibrated and didn't have an additional HDMI input calibrated because at the time D* 3d worked just fine?
I'm sure you are aware that it is not cheap to get a calibrator to come out to the sticks and calibrate an additional input.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#209 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

Is your AVR altering the signal in any way? If yes I can see your point but if not why not just copy the settings to another HDMI input?

#210 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Buying a new receiver, like I did replacing the Pioneer VSX-1020 with a clearance Denon AVR-791, solves the espn 3D problem too.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#211 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Buying a new receiver, like I did replacing the Pioneer VSX-1020 with a clearance Denon AVR-791, solves the espn 3D problem too.

While I agree that would be a fix, it makes no sense for me. The Pioneer was a gift. It's sound quality is simply amazing, compared to the 4-yr old Panasonic AVR it replaced last Christmas.

So I could never justify forking out ~$450 just because directv changed the way they send 3D.

Interesting Side note: One of the channels that are incompatible with the Pioneer is DTVs PPV 3D. I learned that when I had some kids over and I was going to buy them a $6.99 movie to watch.

#212 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Wonder what you could get for the Pioneer VSX-1020 on Craigslist?
I'm going to put mine in the MBR where an older Denon has only 2 HDMI inputs and 3D capability isn't required.
Maybe after a while the new fully 3D capable Pioneer VSX-1021 model will come down off of the current $549 price.
If you don't need the internet radio, i-stuff, and 1080p upscaling then a fully 3D capable Pioneer VSX-521 can be had for $229.
I wish that Pioneer had done like Denon and fully implemented the HDMI 1.4 standards (including the optional 720p SbS format like DirecTV gives us for espn 3D) in their 2010 models.
They obviously reconsidered that they needed to comply for their 2011 models, but didn't think that the 2010 owners merited a firmware upgrade (hard to do on a VSX-1020 as it has to be sent back to the factory).

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#213 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

I practically begged Pioneer Senior Mgmt to issue an update and work with DirecTV, they decided to focus on this years receivers. So I returned my Elite. Switched to Denon after 20+ years with Pioneer, and am glad I did...no issues at all. Don't buy Pioneer they don't have any interest in fixing things anymore they are a volume vendor now...

#214 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Ok,

I just bought a Panasonic ST 3D TV. I am running all of my audio/video connections (i.e., Directv receiver, 3Dbluray, etc) through a Denon 591 receiver.

I tried watching 3net and the other 3D channel last night and the picture was still blurry. I was able to watch Avatar using the 3D bluray player and the picture was perfect.

I am using a HR20-100 DVR. All of the 3D channels appear in my guide. I don't get a message saying 3D is not supported, but the channels are just blurry/unwatchable. Do I need a newer model HDDVR.

Thanks

#215 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Ok,

I just bought a Panasonic ST 3D TV. I am running all of my audio/video connections (i.e., Directv receiver, 3Dbluray, etc) through a Denon 591 receiver.

I tried watching 3net and the other 3D channel last night and the picture was still blurry. I was able to watch Avatar using the 3D bluray player and the picture was perfect.

I am using a HR20-100 DVR. All of the 3D channels appear in my guide. I don't get a message saying 3D is not supported, but the channels are just blurry/unwatchable. Do I need a newer model HDDVR.

Thanks

Yes, the HR20-series won't output 3D.

#216 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Thanks. Do you know if Directv will upgrade me at no cost to a newer model DVR.

#217 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Thanks

As noted the HR20 and H20 receivers don't support 3D, you should have seen a message saying to call a special 800 number to arrange a receiver swap. Maybe because you're routing the signal through the Denon is messing that up. Anyway, call DIRECTV, tell them you have just got a new 3D TV and need to HR21 or later receiver, they're supposed to swap it for free. Be warned that the 3D receivers don't have build in ATSC/over the air tuners, you'll need to add the AM21/AM21N tuner addon if you need OTA support.

#218 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Also, just so you know, the way DirecTV (and the cable companies) do 3D you lose half of the resolution from the picture. So DirecTVs 3D is not going to look as good as Blu-Ray 3D, and you shouldn't expect it to.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#219 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Edit:

I just got home and checked my receiver model # to make sure. Lo and behold, I have an HR22-100. This may explain why I see the 3D channels in my guide and I do not get a cannot display 3D resolution error. However, I get a blurry picture when I hook the directv receiver to the Denon 591 3D receiver via hdmi.

Therefore, I tried running the HDMI directly from the directv receiver to the TV and it worked. I don't know why it didn't work when I ran it through the Denon 591, it's suppose to be 3D receiver. I just checked the specs. Could this be due to the directv receiver not being HDMI 1.4a compliant.

Thanks

#220 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Edit:

I just got home and checked my receiver model # to make sure. Lo and behold, I have an HR22-100. This may explain why I see the 3D channels in my guide and I do not get a cannot display 3D resolution error. However, I get a blurry picture when I hook the directv receiver to the Denon 591 3D receiver via hdmi.

Therefore, I tried running the HDMI directly from the directv receiver to the TV and it worked. I don't know why it didn't work when I ran it through the Denon 591, it's suppose to be 3D receiver. I just checked the specs. Could this be due to the directv receiver not being HDMI 1.4a compliant.

Thanks

DIRECTV receivers aren't HDMI 1.4a so I don't think that's the problem. I run through a Denon 891 with DIRECTV receivers, no problem, you might want to play around with the video processing settings on the Denon to see if that helps.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...