Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

I have another problem now. My 3D channels are now blacked out in my channel guide, before they were not. Granted when I tune to the channel it works. Any thoughts as to why. I did a reset and it didn't fix it.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

DIRECTV receivers aren't HDMI 1.4a so I don't think that's the problem. I run through a Denon 891 with DIRECTV receivers, no problem, you might want to play around with the video processing settings on the Denon to see if that helps.

Thanks, any particular setting I should use. BTW, I am able to see a 3D image when running my 3D bluray player through the Denon receiver. I watched Avatar 3D and I had no issues. That's why I thought it may be the Directv receiver!

Edited by elove, 17 June 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#223 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

I have another problem now. My 3D channels are now blacked out in my channel guide, before they were not. Granted when I tune to the channel it works. Any thoughts as to why. I did a reset and it didn't fix it.

Thanks!

Just give it some time, they'll come back. From what I've seen when the DIRECTV receiver doesn't communincate with the TV for some period of time it "forget's" that it was connected to a 3D set so it grays out the channels, and also drops the DIRECTV on Demand 3D channel (105).

Unless you really need to, I'd recommend just running HDMI directly to the TV from your DIRECTV receiver and then use an optical or coax cable between the DIRECTV receiver and your Denon for the digital audio. DIRECTV also recommends the direction connection method and doesn't support running through an AVR.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#224 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

Just give it some time, they'll come back. From what I've seen when the DIRECTV receiver doesn't communincate with the TV for some period of time it "forget's" that it was connected to a 3D set so it grays out the channels, and also drops the DIRECTV on Demand 3D channel (105).

Unless you really need to, I'd recommend just running HDMI directly to the TV from your DIRECTV receiver and then use an optical or coax cable between the DIRECTV receiver and your Denon for the digital audio. DIRECTV also recommends the direction connection method and doesn't support running through an AVR.

Ok, thanks!

#225 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

It could be an HDMI handshake issue where you need to turn them on in the order of:

1) TV
2) Denon AVR
3) DirecTV receiver

...and see if that fixes it.

I also use a Panasonic plasma & Denon receiver (although different models than you) and it works usually, although once in a while I have to turn them on in the order listed above.

#226 OFFLINE   Tony Chick

Tony Chick

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Just joined the 3D club due to some incredible deals at Fry's. The combination of my HR21 > Onkyo HT-R360 receiver (the NR609 minus PC input and THX Cert) > LG 47LW5600 TV works perfectly. I know there's a raging debate about passive .vs. active glasses, but the passive on the LG looks pretty good to me!

Now I just need to get the HR20 in the same cabinet upgraded to something plus AM21

HR21-100
HR20-100
Gigabit wired + Wireless-N network w/ Asus N56 Router

5lnb dish (internal switch) + OTA

#227 OFFLINE   scottyikon

scottyikon

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

It just pisses me off that Direct TV is making me change my system. I upgraded to the HR21 to get the 3D broadcast only to find like all of you that my Onkyo HTS-5300 which is v1.4a compliant doesn't play with Direct TV. All my cabling is in the walls. I can't just bypass direct TV BS I have to switch all my input through an HDMI switch and pass the audio back Thur optical digital. I did find the MonoPrice HDX-420X HDMI switch will work with Direct TV 3D as long as I don't split the signal off on the B side of the switch. Is there a 7.1 receiver out there that works with Direct TV 3D protocol?
Scotty
--ABQ

#228 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

My Denon AVR891 works just fine with DIRECTV HD receivers and DVR's and my PS3.

#229 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

My parents Onkyo works just fine with Directv's 3D channels. It's the AVR that came with the Onkyo HTS-5400. They bought it at HHGregg. It's odd that the AVR that comes with the HTS-5300 doesn't work properly.

Have you turned off all video processing in the AVR?

EDIT:
I set it up for them, and will be over at their house this coming weekend. If you want, I'll look at the AVR's settings and post them here.

#230 OFFLINE   Tony Chick

Tony Chick

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

It just pisses me off that Direct TV is making me change my system. I upgraded to the HR21 to get the 3D broadcast only to find like all of you that my Onkyo HTS-5300 which is v1.4a compliant doesn't play with Direct TV. All my cabling is in the walls. I can't just bypass direct TV BS I have to switch all my input through an HDMI switch and pass the audio back Thur optical digital. I did find the MonoPrice HDX-420X HDMI switch will work with Direct TV 3D as long as I don't split the signal off on the B side of the switch. Is there a 7.1 receiver out there that works with Direct TV 3D protocol?

My Onkyo HT-R360 works fine with my HR21 as do all of the NRxx9 series. I suspect yours does too, make sure the HDMI setting in the Hardware Settings menu is set to "Through" rather than upconverting and that your HDMI cables support it. Try changing to channels 103 and 107 manually rather than going through the guide, mine were grayed out until I did this the first time.

HR21-100
HR20-100
Gigabit wired + Wireless-N network w/ Asus N56 Router

5lnb dish (internal switch) + OTA

#231 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

So, I'm finally getting tired of not watching ESPN-3D because of my Pioneer 1020-K AVR. I'm going to by-pass it with HDMI direct to TV and optical to the AVR as the suggested workaround.

Here's my question before I buy cables to do this: Other threads about D* STB slowness have D* recommending setting Native Mode to OFF. My understanding is that causes the STB to scale everything to 1080i (or whatever I have the STB set to at the time). Will ESPN-3D, upscaled to 1080i from 720p by my HR24, work ok? Thanks in advance.

#232 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

By the way, I found this to be an interesting read even though I didn't understand most of it...

http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002

Edit: Reading the link above answers my question in my prior post. It seems that setting Native Mode to OFF has no effect on a 3D channel. In fact, the poster notes that if the STB did scale 720P-3D to 1080i-3D, the ESPN 3D problem would be solved.

Edited by RichYak, 12 July 2011 - 11:59 AM.
Answered my own question

#233 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

So, I'm finally getting tired of not watching ESPN-3D because of my Pioneer 1020-K AVR. I'm going to by-pass it with HDMI direct to TV and optical to the AVR as the suggested workaround.

Here's my question before I buy cables to do this: Other threads about D* STB slowness have D* recommending setting Native Mode to OFF. My understanding is that causes the STB to scale everything to 1080i (or whatever I have the STB set to at the time). Will ESPN-3D, upscaled to 1080i from 720p by my HR24, work ok? Thanks in advance.

With native off and watching a 3D program the box overrides that setting and uses the native resolution, at least that's what I see. I run at 1080i out of the box and when tuned to 106 the TV reports 1280x720/60p as the resolution.

#234 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

Thanks RAD, that confirms what I read in the thread I linked to in my post above.

#235 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

To all having problems with ESPN-3D, take note of post #25 by Satelliteracer in this thread. Perhaps a fix is finally coming.

#236 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

To all having problems with ESPN-3D, take note of post #25 by Satelliteracer in this thread. Perhaps a fix is finally coming.

I asked him point blank if the Pionneer 1020 issue might get fixed, I'm hoping for a reply soon. Maybe a firmware update is coming to convert the current ESPN format to make the channel compatible with all receivers and TV's.

#237 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Is ... nevermind :)

Edited by itzme, 19 July 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#238 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

Is this receiver incompatibility restricted to DirecTV/ESPN 3D, or are there 3D Blu-Ray movies out there that there might be a problem with as well? I'd hate to buy a 3D movie and discover that it's incompatible with my receiver.

#239 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Is this receiver incompatibility restricted to Directv/ESPN3D, or are there 3D Blu-Ray movies out there that there might be a problem with as well? I'd hate to buy a 3D movie and discover that it's incompatible with my receiver.

You're probably OK to trust your setup. The issue at hand in this thread involves Directv/ESPN3D/AND certain AVRs (Pioneers included).

#240 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

Is this receiver incompatibility restricted to DirecTV/ESPN 3D, or are there 3D Blu-Ray movies out there that there might be a problem with as well? I'd hate to buy a 3D movie and discover that it's incompatible with my receiver.

It is an ESPN 3D on DirecTv issue. Pioneer receivers work fine with all BluRay discs and other 3D programming. ESPN and D* made a decision to change the way they distribute their programming and that is what is causing the issues.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

spam firewall