Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

It's not ESPN and D* that made the decision, it is D*. They are fed both the mandatory 720p T/B and 720p SbS feeds. They choose to use the SbS feed. My correspondance with them as of this week is they have no intention of changing the feed. It's not just an AVR issue, it is also a problem with JVC projectors. Hopefully Satelliteracer knows something different than management has passed on to me.

S~

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

ESPN 3D
Family Room HR24/500 with Samsung PN59D8000FF:up:
Master Bedroom H25 with Samsung PN59D8000FF:up:

#243 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

There is an Issue with ESPN 3D if you have your D* receiver connected through a Sony BDV-HZ970W Blu-ray Player.

All other 3D channels will work fine but ESPN 3D will only work if you plug your D* receiver directly to the TV.

My Tv is Samsung UN55D8000.

#244 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

overall would you say the glasses can also cause a problem like a headache dizzieness or eye problems?

I watch 3D on average of 1-3 times a month. While there are lots of articles and research out there to the contrary, my friends and family have never complained of any of those symptoms. A first-time user may initially feel like they'll get those symptoms, but after you relax there's no issues. After 2 or more hours, I might say there is a tiny sensations of eye strain. It's more like a slight sense of relief when you take them off. Same as if you've ever gone to a 3D movie. In fact the entire experience is much like going to a 3D movie, so you should experiment with that.

I happen to think that 3D is fun and worth the price, esp since the price difference has gone down so much lately. But my bias is that I paid the price. Note that there's also a bias of opinion from folks who don't own 3D. The bias involves both of us wanting to justify our decisions.

#245 OFFLINE   kude

kude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

I haven't seen where anyone has a SONY LCD 3D tv kooked up. It will be direct to the the HD receiver. I guess I am the guinea pig on SONY LCDs? Will post results later.

#246 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,697 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

I haven't seen where anyone has a SONY LCD 3D tv kooked up. It will be direct to the the HD receiver. I guess I am the guinea pig on SONY LCDs? Will post results later.

I have Sony 40NX711 hooked directly to an HR21-700. It works well with all the regular DirecTV 3D channels. I haven't tried 3D ppv.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#247 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thats because its the "what doesn't work" thread. Sony owners aren't reporting in because they do work just fine. NX, HX and LX series are known to be good.

Good Luck.

#248 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Set up my HR21 to the Mits adapter and then to my Mits display a few months ago. Worked fine the few times I tried it.

Hadn't used it in awhile and have tried a few times in the last couple of weeks and always with the same result:

As soon as I switch to a 3D channel, the Mits adapter lights up to show it's receiving the 3D signal, but the TV screen remains black. I do get audio through the AVR. Once I'm locked onto a 3D signal, it's very hard to get off of it. Changing channels on the DVR often does nothing (the light on the DVR blinks, but the DVR remains on the same channel - can tell via the audio). Sometimes hitting channel up many times in conjunction with List, menu, etc., will result in the DVR fixing itself and sometimes I've actually had to RBR.

Anyway, not sure if it's an issue with the adapter or the DVR, but haven't been able to watch 3D at all in the last couple of weeks.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#249 OFFLINE   kude

kude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thats because its the "what doesn't work" thread. Sony owners aren't reporting in because they do work just fine. NX, HX and LX series are known to be good.

Good Luck.

Okay that's good to realize.

#250 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Yeap. I have the Sony HX820 and it works perfectly running through a Denon 2112 receiver.

S~

#251 OFFLINE   skylab

skylab

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

My Yamaha RX-V867 receiver does not work with DirecTV 3d. It does work fine with 3d from my PS3.

#252 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Can someone test something for me? Is it possible that the signal on ESPN3D is now 1080i? I see boxing (2:25 pm ET) through my Pioneer VSX-1020 and my TV is saying its in 1080i, not the problematic 720pSBS.

Is it possible that DirecTV granted me 2 big wishes on the same day!!!?

I won't get to excited until I test some more or hear more from you guys. Would that change have gotten past Sixto's uplink reports?

#253 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Can someone test something for me? Is it possible that the signal on ESPN3D is now 1080i? I see boxing (2:25 pm ET) through my Pioneer VSX-1020 and my TV is saying its in 1080i, not the problematic 720pSBS.

My Samsung is showing ch 106 as 1920x1080/60i, so looks like Satelliteracers info was correct. Enjoy, just in time for the start of CFB this month.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#254 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

WOW! 2 Wishes in one day!!! Thank you SatRacer and DirecTV!

#255 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

I guess I should be happy. Now I can rip my system apart and re-do it again.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#256 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

I guess I should be happy. Now I can rip my system apart and re-do it again.

SR did ask us to have a little faith. I hope you didn't rip it apart too much. :grin: Its nice to have all my devices going through my Pioneer 1020. That ESPN 720pSBS was the only quirk I ever experienced doing it that way.

I sure hope the industry retires that format!

#257 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Looking forward to giving it a try when I get home. :-)

I never buy PPV, but I remember reading on here that the 3D PPV channel sometimes had issues with these receivers. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

#258 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Looking forward to giving it a try when I get home. :-)

I never buy PPV, but I remember reading on here that the 3D PPV channel sometimes had issues with these receivers. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

If I had to venture a guess, its fixed. In fact that issue very well may've offered DTV some motivation to fix it in the first place. I don't blame 'em.

I don't ever buy PPVs either, but one of the ways I discovered this whole issue was because there were kids visiting and I was going to buy a PPV 3D for them.

#259 OFFLINE   garddog32

garddog32

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure I have a hardware issues or not. I just got a 3D TV a couple of weeks ago. The first real show I watched in 3D was last night's Badger UNLV game on ESPN. For me, the sound was out of sync the entire game. Did anyone else happen to watch? Just wondering if it was an ESPN problem or a ME problem.

I have a WD-82738 Mits direct HDMI attached to an H21. I have coax digital sound from the Mits to a Pioneer Elite receiver (sorry, don't remember the model number). I have not seen any other sound sync issues other than ESPN 3D. However, I've not watched enough 3D channels to know if I might be having the issues on all 3D channels.

#260 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

I'm not sure I have a hardware issues or not. I just got a 3D TV a couple of weeks ago. The first real show I watched in 3D was last night's Badger UNLV game on ESPN. For me, the sound was out of sync the entire game. Did anyone else happen to watch? Just wondering if it was an ESPN problem or a ME problem.

I have a WD-82738 Mits direct HDMI attached to an H21. I have coax digital sound from the Mits to a Pioneer Elite receiver (sorry, don't remember the model number). I have not seen any other sound sync issues other than ESPN 3D. However, I've not watched enough 3D channels to know if I might be having the issues on all 3D channels.

I would run the audio directly from the H21 to your receiver and see if that helps. Also, usually TV's don't pass through DD5.1 audio just 2.0, yours might just that most don't.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall