Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

I also check the TV's info display and the video info on the Denon AVR and they both also report 1080p.

That's confusing. Well, I guess this posting will be deleted, just as Doug deleted a previous posting which was more about interpretation of facts than about facts, so perhaps it is not worth pursuing here.
Greg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

So the Onkyo TX-SR508, I just bought in anticipation of 3D viewing...is not going to work out?

HR20-100 and/or HR20-700 currently in use, was hoping it would work out on a Samsung HL67A750.

#23 OFFLINE   dublus

dublus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

HR21/700 0x04d
3DC-1000
Mits WD-73C9

All connected with HDMI 1.3b cables.

3D worked perfectly from Saturday (9-4) until the following Monday night.
Tuesday morning started getting "This program cannot play because this TV is not 3D capable" message. 3D has not worked since. Nothing was touched between the time 3D worked and when it stopped working except tuning off the TV. Incredibly frustrated with D* for not allowing 3D to play given the known trouble(s) with HDMI handshake. Who does it harm?

Come on D*, as Moses once said, "Let my 3D go!". (okay, he didn't say that but he would if he were around)

#24 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

Why is using ff or rwd such a problem? Everytime I use them during 3D playback on the DVR it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to come back. It seems to be resetting the signal.

#25 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,930 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

Why is using ff or rwd such a problem? Everytime I use them during 3D playback on the DVR it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to come back. It seems to be resetting the signal.

What model HD DVR are you using?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#26 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

HR24-500 I currently have 'Native" on. I read elsewhere that turning it off might help, but i had it off for awhile and i seem to have resolution problems then. My channel changing is pretty slow too, but nothing like the 15 second delay after ff or fwd when watching 3D. The 3D looks spectacular btw on my Mits 65737 DLP

#27 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

HR24-500 I currently have 'Native" on. I read elsewhere that turning it off might help, but i had it off for awhile and i seem to have resolution problems then. My channel changing is pretty slow too, but nothing like the 15 second delay after ff or fwd when watching 3D. The 3D looks spectacular btw on my Mits 65737 DLP

That was I was thinking might be the issue, the HR24-500. I have three of them and they all do the same thing, use a DVR function and the TV and DVR lose sync and get a blank screen 10 to 15 seconds.

Do you have any other model HD receiver besides the HR24-500 you can try? I have put a HR23-700, HR22-100 and H21-200 in place of the HR24-500 and those receivers don't have the problem on my Mits WD-73735.

#28 OFFLINE   JackBarry

JackBarry

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

Mitsubishi's new 2010 TV models WD-..738 and WD-..838 support both Side by Side and Checkerboard signals. I was told that the Direct TV receiver does not recognize the Mitsu TV as 3D capable. Is there anyone out there who has successfully hooked up a Direct TV Receiver directly to the above (Mitsu ..738 & ..838) TV models with out using the Mitsubishi Adaptor. Secondly has anyone with an Onkyo Receiver or Pre-Amp successfully passed a 3D signal to the Mitsubishi Adaptor or Directly to the TV without the Mitsu Adaptor?

#29 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Here's an interesting take on DirecTV and 3D, http://hd.engadget.c...esnt-support-d/ .

You see RealD owns the patent on frame compatible 3D formats like side by side, and if a display or receiver manufacturer wants its EDID on the list of supported devices, they have to pay for that right. So it isn't that DirecTV wants to prevent you from using your old receiver as much as it is about preventing those who don't license RealD's patents from being able to display 3D. Nice huh, but no one ever said it was about the customer.

#30 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

Nice. :nono2:

While I can't say that the real reason doesn't piss me off, at least there's an answer that makes sense, rather than some of the smoke some have been trying to blow up our skirts. Though I still don't understand why this isn't a universal issue. There have been reports of FIOS and other providers not having this problem. It also doesn't make sense that 2010 Mits TVs don't work w/o the adapter. They support SbS natively, so they presumably paid the fee. :confused:

Leave it to the HDMI org to again. f*** us over. Choosing formats that require licensing, and therefore by nature obsolesce existing equipment, even though it should otherwise work. Makes me glad it's been hacked.

Edited by DarinC, 25 September 2010 - 08:11 PM.

Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#31 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

Something has gone south with D* 3D Channel 106 permissions as of 11:00:00PM EDT on Saturday 9/25/2010.

First, let me say I have viewed the 3D programming without any issues (except the widely known issues along the way) since June. Yes, Directv screwed up the beginning of the game - but they have really screwed up Channel 106 since 11PM last night.

During the Saturday Evening SEC game which was listed in the program guide to run from 7:30pm - 11:00pm, at EXACTLY 11:00:00 PM with just less than 3 minutes to go in the game, my screen went blank with a blue box that states "Your TV does not support this program's content protection".

I have both a Panasonic VT25 and a 2010 Mitsubishi - same issue on both.

I can view the game on the DVR right up until 11:00:00PM and then nothing is displayed.

Furthermore, I still cannot tune to Channel 106 today without getting the warning. Watching Channel 103 for Tennis today for 6 hours was not an issue, nor was watching 3D programming on Channel 103 after 11PM last night.

I have unplugged and rebooted the TVs, adapters and HR21.

Still no joy.

Clearly, a command was sent out at what was "supposed" to be the end of the game in the guide at 11:00:00 PM and it has killed my connection on Channel 106.

I intend to call D* but did not want to do so today, figuring ST issues will be tying up the lines.

How many others are experiencing this and Doug, what can be done to fix prior to next Saturday's game?

#32 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

Where can I find a 3D schedule? I sometimes fine LIVE events on my guide that I had no idea where available?

Any NHL in 3D this year etc?

Thank u
Panasonic TCP58VT25
HR22/100
Yamaha RX-A800
Definitive Research Pro 1000/2000 Center channel
SVS Sub
Panasonic 3D /Bluray player
PS3/Xbox/Wii

#33 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Where can I find a 3D schedule? I sometimes fine LIVE events on my guide that I had no idea where available?

Any NHL in 3D this year etc?

Thank u

Channel 103 is the 24x7 3D channel, but in the two+ months I've had 3D I think they've added only 3 new programs to the loop.

Channel 106 is the ESPN3D channel, check www.espn.com/3d for a schedule, which usually says TBA and only shows the next weeks CFB game.

#34 OFFLINE   rabit ears

rabit ears

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

Samsung UN55C8000
HR20-100 Doesn't work
HR20-700 Works fine

All cables are new, switched HDMI cables between the two DTV units and the Samsung DVD Player and two out of three worked on every port into the TV on every cable.

Samsung says that the device must be HDMI 1.4, however; the HR20-700 works just fine. The HR20-100 does work with component, but I understand that I need HDMI and component looks bad snaking up the wall.

Any ideas? I have a tech coming out on Saturday and if he refuses to replace the box with one that works (I have protection plan) I have Dish guy scheduled for Sunday and if I'm not happy with the D* response, I'm gone.

#35 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

No HR20 is supposed to work for 3D programming and DirecTV says they'll replace them with a HR21 or greater. See http://support.direc.../2818/related/1

What type of equipment will DIRECTV customers need to access HD 3D programming? .DIRECTV customers will need to have an HD DVR (HR21 or above) or an HD receiver (H21 or above), a 3D television set, 3D glasses, an HDMI cable and HD Access

#36 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

I know this is not an officially supported setup but here it is.

I listed the gear in the order that they are connected.

HR24-500
Mitsubishi 3DA-1
Gefen HDMI Detective Plus with the EDID of a Mitsubishi Diamond Model WD73837
Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver
Samsung HL61A750 (3D ready DLP HDTV)

Samsung SSG1000 3D Glasses

I am able to get a great 3D picture after the recent adjustments DirecTv made to the way it broadcasts the 3D signal. Thank you DirecTv.

However, my audio through my Onkyo is only PCM 2.0 even though I have Dolby Digital set to on in the HR24-500 menu. My guess is that the HR24-500 is reading the EDID information to determine what audio format to send out rather than the customers selection from the audio menu from the DirecTv Receiver. The 3D checkerboard signal that is converted from the 3DA-1 is compatible with HDMI 1.3 equipment unlike the other 3D signals.

If DirecTv would use the customers audio selection rather than the EDID information for audio selection then this problem would go away. Others who use a 3DA-1 have indicated that they own other gear that allows the user to determine the audio rather than the EDID so I know this is possible.

I am not looking for official support from DirecTv with my setup as I know that it is not officially supported but the fix seems so simple that it sure would be nice for DirecTv to do it. Additionally, I do not see how a fix would impact anyone else negatively. I know of many others that are using a similar 3D setup. Thanks.

Electricity flickered today and my DVR reset. Normally when that happens I have to go through several steps to get the HR24 to recognize my HDTV as being 3D compliant. However, this time it recognized everything immediately and I was able to tune to a 3D channel. If DirecTv changed anything then please do not change it back. Maybe, I was just lucky since the electricity was out for such a short period of time.

#37 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

Not in my setup. The Misc Options shows 720p, 1080i, 1080p/24, 1080p/30 and 1080p/60. I tried to view what was on ch 103 and STB said display didn't support 720p and wouldn't play it. Tried a recording and STB said display didn't support 1080p/24 and wouldn't play it.

question for you guys that already own a 3D set.

If the tv is only a 720p set connected directly to HR24, how will this affect viewing of the n3D channels?

#38 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

Electricity flickered today and my DVR reset. Normally when that happens I have to go through several steps to get the HR24 to recognize my HDTV as being 3D compliant. However, this time it recognized everything immediately and I was able to tune to a 3D channel. If DirecTv changed anything then please do not change it back. Maybe, I was just lucky since the electricity was out for such a short period of time.

If you care about your DVR and HDTV, put them on a UPS and you won't have the flicker problems, and are likely to protect it from the dirty power that the flicker represents. Consider your DVR a computer (it has a hard drive that is writing all the time), and with a UPS you get both surge protection and full back up (to cover power winkies and anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour of full back up time to cover missed recordings.)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#39 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

My system won't give me 3D! I have the following...

Mitsi 65735 3D ready TV
Mitsi 3D starter kit
HR21/2 (swapped - both behaving the same)
Onkyo TXR707 (out of the video loop - using coax for audio).

All I get when I try to tune in to the 3D channels is "This channel cannot be displayed as your TV is not 3D capable".

So far, I have tried rebooting/resetting the TV, the adapter and the DVR, swapping all the HDMI cables, removing and reseating all other cables, discnnecting the RCA to the receiver, standing on one leg (well, maybe not), calling D* for advice (over an hour and they tell me to log into DBSTalk!), Mitsubishi customer support (can't help, will get back to me within 1 business day!).

Any other suggestions?

BTW, it worked briefly yesterday, so I know it's possible!
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#40 OFFLINE   wrk24wheel

wrk24wheel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

My system won't give me 3D! I have the following...

Mitsi 65735 3D ready TV
Mitsi 3D starter kit
HR21/2 (swapped - both behaving the same)
Onkyo TXR707 (out of the video loop - using coax for audio).

All I get when I try to tune in to the 3D channels is "This channel cannot be displayed as your TV is not 3D capable".

So far, I have tried rebooting/resetting the TV, the adapter and the DVR, swapping all the HDMI cables, removing and reseating all other cables, discnnecting the RCA to the receiver, standing on one leg (well, maybe not), calling D* for advice (over an hour and they tell me to log into DBSTalk!), Mitsubishi customer support (can't help, will get back to me within 1 business day!).

Any other suggestions?

BTW, it worked briefly yesterday, so I know it's possible!

I had the same problem. According to direcTv, if you hook up a 3D television to a box that was connected to a non-3D TV, you need to go back through the satellite setup. I did this and now all of the channels are there and not grayed out. Everything is working great outside of the handshaking issues.

spam firewall