Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wrk24wheel

wrk24wheel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

Sharp LC-60LE925UN LCD
Integra 80.2 Processor
DirecTv HR22/100 0x40d

3D Seems to be the only thing that works now. Before swapping out the processor and TV, I never had any handshaking issues. Now, I can barely watch TV. It seems like it is prominently with 1080p. If the resolution is 480p I have not yet had any handshaking issues. With 720p I have had a few. Set to 1080p, I can barely get it to show a picture, maybe 1 out of ever 50 times. I need to set it to 720p and it comes on fine. I am sure that it is the DVR as my PS3 will output a 1080p signal to the 80.2 just fine. I have tried different cable as well as different inputs. Does not matter and the problem is only with the DVR and no other devices hooked up to the Integra. I hope that they get a fix for this fast.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

I had the same problem. According to direcTv, if you hook up a 3D television to a box that was connected to a non-3D TV, you need to go back through the satellite setup. I did this and now all of the channels are there and not grayed out. Everything is working great outside of the handshaking issues.

That makes some sense. I'll give it a try when I get home this evening. I did notice that when I swapped the HR22 for the 21 from the bedroom, it tried to connect at 1080p and asked me to verify that the picture was viewable, but neve went to 1080p after that (only the 1080i light and not both).

D* tech support basically directed me to the boards and were no real help, except to try to sell me whole home service!! Mitsubishi helpline was unable to offer any more insight into the problem and just promised me a call back within one business day - whatever that means!
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#43 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

Directv site shows Sony LX900 series as compatible.
Anyone try the NX810 series by Sony?
Works? Doesn't work?

#44 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

Nice. :nono2:

While I can't say that the real reason doesn't piss me off, at least there's an answer that makes sense, rather than some of the smoke some have been trying to blow up our skirts. Though I still don't understand why this isn't a universal issue. There have been reports of FIOS and other providers not having this problem. It also doesn't make sense that 2010 Mits TVs don't work w/o the adapter. They support SbS natively, so they presumably paid the fee. :confused:

Leave it to the HDMI org to again. f*** us over. Choosing formats that require licensing, and therefore by nature obsolesce existing equipment, even though it should otherwise work. Makes me glad it's been hacked.

They still haven't added the 2010 Mits models yet? Wow, that is surprising.

#45 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

question for you guys that already own a 3D set.

If the tv is only a 720p set connected directly to HR24, how will this affect viewing of the n3D channels?

I know this is over a month old, but as no one has answered it.....there are NO 3D HDTVs that only do 720P so that isn't an issue.

#46 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

Samsung - 50" Class / 720p / 600Hz / 3D Plasma HDTV

Available at Bestbuy while supply's last.

#47 OFFLINE   redskins4life

redskins4life

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Tried every thing can't watch recorded content except for the hockey game i recorded a week ago. ps3 and blu ray work fine. using pioneer receiver with hdmi 1.4 . Direct tv claims they have never heard of this issue yeah right.

#48 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Anyone using a LG 47 or 55LX9500 with Directv & 3D?

Edited by kingram52, 19 December 2010 - 11:58 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Sony HTCT-350 Surround Bar with any HR series DVR. When you connect directly to the display it works fine. Here is what Sony Engineering had to say about this problem:

I escalated your event to engineering and they tested the sound bar (HTCT350) with the same direct TV receiver (Direct TV HR22-100) to a Sony 3D TV (KDL55HX800) and the 3D content was able to play back normally. Engineering has suggested that if there is content issues with VOD the issue lies with Direct TV. Engineering is stating it is a direct TV issue and there are no plans to update the HTCT350. Other than waiting for direct TV to do a firmware update we do not have any other technical support options available at this time.

And DirecTV of course says it a Sony soundbar issue, which I believe to be the case thus far, they also say we only support direct DVR to TV connectivity, which is less than 10% of their users I bet...

#50 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Sony HTCT-350 Surround Bar with any HR series DVR. When you connect directly to the display it works fine. Here is what Sony Engineering had to say about this problem:

"I escalated your event to engineering and they tested the sound bar (HTCT350) with the same direct TV receiver (Direct TV HR22-100) to a Sony 3D TV (KDL55HX800) and the 3D content was able to play back normally. Engineering has suggested that if there is content issues with VOD the issue lies with Direct TV. Engineering is stating it is a direct TV issue and there are no plans to update the HTCT350. Other than waiting for direct TV to do a firmware update we do not have any other technical support options available at this time. "

And DirecTV of course says it a Sony soundbar issue, which I believe to be the case thus far, they also say we only support direct DVR to TV connectivity, which is less than 10% of their users I bet...

I would be one of those folks that connect the DVR directly to the TV. But that aside, you haven't really stated the problem. The Sony quote mentions VOD but claims 3D content is fine.

When you use your CT350, what specifically doesn't work?

#51 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:32 AM

I would be one of those folks that connect the DVR directly to the TV. But that aside, you haven't really stated the problem. The Sony quote mentions VOD but claims 3D content is fine.

When you use your CT350, what specifically doesn't work?

Anything presented in 1080p/24 thus far seems to be an issue. When I pass it thru the Sony box, go into the DVR's miscellaneous options menu and look at supported display resolutions I do not see 3D support for 720p or 1080p/24, when I direct connect those resolutions in the menu pop right up.

#52 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:25 AM

Anything presented in 1080p/24 thus far seems to be an issue. When I pass it thru the Sony box, go into the DVR's miscellaneous options menu and look at supported display resolutions I do not see 3D support for 720p or 1080p/24, when I direct connect those resolutions in the menu pop right up.

Ah, understand now.

So the DVR to TV sees all the resolutions.
Put a CT350 in between, you lose some resolutions.
Objectively, the CT350 is the issue.

How about this workaround?
Connect DVR to TV directly via HDMI
Connect DVD (BD) to TV directly via HDMI (or component).
Take Optical output from TV and connect that to input of CT350.

While I don't have a CT350, the above is similar to how my system is wired for my soundbar and all works great with all resolutions including 3D and VOD.

#53 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

Ah, understand now.

So the DVR to TV sees all the resolutions.
Put a CT350 in between, you lose some resolutions.
Objectively, the CT350 is the issue.

How about this workaround?
Connect DVR to TV directly via HDMI
Connect DVD (BD) to TV directly via HDMI (or component).
Take Optical output from TV and connect that to input of CT350.

While I don't have a CT350, the above is similar to how my system is wired for my soundbar and all works great with all resolutions including 3D and VOD.

yes that is what I did using ARC. But I'd like to figure out if it's the DVR or the 350. At any rate, Sony agreed to take the unit back and refund shipping and the price I paid for it, so I will take them up on it if engineering doesn't get me an answer soon.

#54 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

Okay I have another 3D pair issue to report. The JVC DILA RS50 is direct connected to the HR24, it does not see support for 720p/60 and 1080p/24 modes. There is clearly a problem with EDID.

I have a PS3 also directly connected (projector has 2 HDMI inputs). I let the PS3 auto detect and it correctly identified these modes. I was also able to playback 1080p/24 content on the PS3.

Switch to the HR24, and guess what, no luck. Today Xgames was broadcast on the 103, and I got the message that my display doesn't support 720p 3D mode!

What a bummer all this investment in high end gear and we're struggling with the basics here...help D* Engineering please!

I have a Panasonic VT25 that I am going to hook up next and test as well...

#55 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

I just purchased a LG 50PX950 3D PDP, is this TV supported for D*3D? and there is no other fee to enjoy 3d programming, unless ppv 3d cinema right? i have "HDaccess" and Choice Ultimate pckg.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#56 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,928 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

I just purchased a LG 50PX950 3D PDP, is this TV supported for D*3D? and there is no other fee to enjoy 3d programming, unless ppv 3d cinema right? i have "HDaccess" and Choice Ultimate pckg.

That TV isn't lised at http://www.directv.c...P/content/hd/3d as a supported set. DirecTV uses side-by-side format for it's 3D channels, if you set doesn't support that format you're out of luck. It doesn't hurt anything to try since the HR24's you have support 3D and channel 103 and 106 are free so try it. I'd recommend connecting directly to the TV and not going through a AVR first and then reboot the HR24 so it can discover that you'r connected to a 3D set.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#57 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

I just tried to watch the Harlem Globetrotters game in 3D today but I am getting a message that my TV does not support 720P 3D. I have watched other sports programs like ESPN 3D which is in 720P before with no problems. Does anyone know why this is happening?

My current setup is: Panasonic 65 inch Plasma (TCP-65VT25), DirecTV HD DVR 24-500 and a Pioneer VSX 1020 (which is 3D capable).

I tried the 3D movie Caroline on my PS3 which is also hooked up to my Pioneer VSX 1020 AVR and the 3D worked great!

I am wondering if the latest DirecTV update that I received recently messed up the 3D on DirecTV HR24-500?????

Thanks for anyone's help.:)

#58 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

I just tried to watch the Harlem Globetrotters game in 3D today but I am getting a message that my TV does not support 720P 3D. I have watched other sports programs like ESPN 3D which is in 720P before with no problems. Does anyone know why this is happening?

My current setup is: Panasonic 65 inch Plasma (TCP-65VT25), DirecTV HD DVR 24-500 and a Pioneer VSX 1020 (which is 3D capable).

I tried the 3D movie Caroline on my PS3 which is also hooked up to my Pioneer VSX 1020 AVR and the 3D worked great!

I am wondering if the latest DirecTV update that I received recently messed up the 3D on DirecTV HR24-500?????

Thanks for anyone's help.:)

Already responded with an idea to your identical post here

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=187982

#59 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,928 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

I have tried both HR24-200 and HR24-500 passed through a Denon AVR891 and both of them, running the latest software, both play the ESPN3D content, including the Globetrotters BB game.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#60 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

I just realized that on the last update they have fixed a bug!! I am very happy. Before when I switched onto a 3D channel I had to manually change my settings on my TV. Then when I switched back to HD channel I would have to change inputs or turn off and back on my tv to get HD picture. It seems like this has been all fixed.
Panasonic TCP58VT25
HR22/100
Yamaha RX-A800
Definitive Research Pro 1000/2000 Center channel
SVS Sub
Panasonic 3D /Bluray player
PS3/Xbox/Wii

spam firewall