Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV .. What doesn't work (Hardware)

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

IMO It is D*'s issue to fix. They are the ones that chose to change the method by which they distribute 3d from ESPN. It worked fine for me before they changed their distribution method. I have a HR24-500, Pioneer AVR, and Panny VT25.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

The Pioneer option seems moot, since there is no way for the consumer to do the upgrade. I'm at DirecTV's mercy. Did DTV get back to you on the trouble form. Where can I access a trouble form?

Thanks!

Sure there is a way to upgrade the firmware, it's only moot because Pioneer has decided not to work on it for 2010 receivers. 2011 year models should be compatible.

#163 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

IMO It is D*'s issue to fix. They are the ones that chose to change the method by which they distribute 3d from ESPN. It worked fine for me before they changed their distribution method. I have a HR24-500, Pioneer AVR, and Panny VT25.

My guess is D* will fix it with a HDMI 1.4a DVR they release, other than that we'll just have to wait..

#164 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

My guess is D* will fix it with a HDMI 1.4a DVR they release, other than that we'll just have to wait..

Are you saying D* won't (or can't) fix it with a software update? Does the fix have to be with a new DVR?

#165 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Are you saying D* won't (or can't) fix it with a software update? Does the fix have to be with a new DVR?

Only D* can answer that, but I am not holding my breath, there is new software being released this evening on cutting edge we'll see if there are any 3D support issues resolved, last couple did not...

#166 OFFLINE   Raddle

Raddle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

The Pioneer option seems moot, since there is no way for the consumer to do the upgrade. I'm at DirecTV's mercy. Did DTV get back to you on the trouble form. Where can I access a trouble form?

Thanks!

I submitted an issue support.directv.com/app/ask.

Attached is my exchange with DirecTV on this problem. The two most important quotes from DirecTV are below:

"I have verified that your TV supports the 3D channels, however, please make sure that the receiver is connected directly using HDMI cables to your 3DTV and is not being run through other devices such as a Blu-Ray or A/V receiver."

"I have forwarded your suggestion regarding the format in which we broadcast 3D on to DIRECTV Management for review."

Attached Files

Edited by Raddle, 09 February 2011 - 03:36 PM.
Correct DirecTV address

#167 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I submitted an issue support.directv.com/app.ask.

Attached is my exchange with DirecTV on this problem. The two most important quotes from DirecTV are below:

"I have verified that your TV supports the 3D channels, however, please make sure that the receiver is connected directly using HDMI cables to your 3DTV and is not being run through other devices such as a Blu-Ray or A/V receiver."

"I have forwarded your suggestion regarding the format in which we broadcast 3D on to DIRECTV Management for review."

Raddle, thank you so much for sharing that exchange! I'm going to make an effort to open a support issue also. I feel dumb but I can't find where on the site to start an issue. I see you mentioned support.directv.com/app.ask but I can't get to that or find the right link to that. Do you remember how to get there?

#168 OFFLINE   Raddle

Raddle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

Raddle, thank you so much for sharing that exchange! I'm going to make an effort to open a support issue also. I feel dumb but I can't find where on the site to start an issue. I see you mentioned support.directv.com/app.ask but I can't get to that or find the right link to that. Do you remember how to get there?

Sorry, I had a typo in the address. I don't have enough posts to include the hyperlink but I corrected it in my post above.

#169 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

To clarify the link that Raddle used to report his 3D issue is http://support.directv.com/app/ask

I logged into DirecTV first, but I'm not sure that's required. Thanks again, Raddle! Keep us posted if you hear or learn anything more on the matter.

#170 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

Here is the response that I received.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN 3D

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Aubrey S. - 100126090) - 02/08/2011 03:53 PM
Dear Mr. Dumbledorf ,

Thanks for taking the time to write us.

I understand how you feel about resolving the issue with your access to ESPN 3D.

Any proposed new equipment or enhancements to current equipment are subject to change until a formal announcement is made, so I don't have any information that I can share with you right now. I have, however, forwarded your email on to our management so that they can have a record of your request.

You may find some helpful information at the DIRECTV Technical Help forums where other customers share solutions to many DIRECTV receiver and entertainment system related questions. Just visit http://forums.directv.com/pe/index.jsp to learn more.

You can also call our technical support center at 1-888-667-7463 (please select the option for technical assistance).

Thanks again for writing. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and are most appreciative of your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

Aubrey S.
Employee ID 100126090
DIRECTV Customer Service
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#171 OFFLINE   Raddle

Raddle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

I notified Pioneer of the problem. Here is my correspondence. I would feel more confident if the text in boldface came from DirecTV rather than Pioneer.

Sent February 8, 2011 at 11:15 PST

DirecTV broadcasts some 3D shows in 720p Side-by-Side format which is an optional format 3D format for broadcasters. My VSX-32 apparently does not support this format. The result is I am unable to play these shows on my Samsung PN63C8000 TV. My understanding is that this format is optional for broadcasters but mandatory for receivers and TVs. Will Pioneer upgrade the firmware to correct this?

Received Wed 2/9/2011 2:13 PM PST

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc. The receiver fully supports the 3D signals. The signal Direct TV is transmitting is not compliant to the HDMI Organization specifications. We are told they will have this resolved in the first quarter. Please contact Direct TV for full details.

Thank You,

Rocky

Customer Service Representative

#172 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

I notified Pioneer of the problem. Here is my correspondence. I would feel more confident if the text in boldface came from DirecTV rather than Pioneer.

Sent February 8, 2011 at 11:15 PST

DirecTV broadcasts some 3D shows in 720p Side-by-Side format which is an optional format 3D format for broadcasters. My VSX-32 apparently does not support this format. The result is I am unable to play these shows on my Samsung PN63C8000 TV. My understanding is that this format is optional for broadcasters but mandatory for receivers and TVs. Will Pioneer upgrade the firmware to correct this?

Received Wed 2/9/2011 2:13 PM PST

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc. The receiver fully supports the 3D signals. The signal Direct TV is transmitting is not compliant to the HDMI Organization specifications. We are told they will have this resolved in the first quarter. Please contact Direct TV for full details.

Thank You,

Rocky

Customer Service Representative

Lol, I know this guy, check PM, I emailed my response to him.

#173 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Lol, I know this guy, check PM, I emailed my response to him.

Not being privy to the PM, is there any reason not to believe the Pioneer rep about DirecTV having a fix before April? I know for one I'd love someone from DirectTV to tell us they are aware of the issue, and ideally 'working on a fix.'

#174 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

Not being privy to the PM, is there any reason not to believe the Pioneer rep about DirecTV having a fix before April? I know for one I'd love someone from DirectTV to tell us they are aware of the issue, and ideally 'working on a fix.'

Wait and see, it depends on how important 3D from DirecTV is for you. I wanted an AVR that worked out of the box, that supported both mandatory and optional 3D formats, similar to most displays. Unfortunately there was no plans from Pioneer Corp doing anything for 2010 AVR line so I decided for me it was best to cut the cord after 20yrs and try a different CEM.

2011's should work fine though, but it will not be until 2012 that the Elite line is refreshed so I wasn't willing to wait hence the Denon purchase...

#175 OFFLINE   Vette1992

Vette1992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Directv site shows Sony LX900 series as compatible.
Anyone try the NX810 series by Sony?
Works? Doesn't work?

3D works great! 55" NX810

#176 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

I can not get DirecTV's 3D to work when going through my Denon AVR 3311CI to my Panasonic TC-P50GT25 television. (both are 2010 models) I'm getting a message that my receiver does not support 3D. It is 3D compliant though, and in fact 3D is working from my PS3 through the Denon. I tried a red button reset & changing settings as recommended in this thread, but no luck so far.

#177 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

What model DIRECTV receiver do you have, if it's a HR20 or H20 those models don't support 3D. The message should have a phone number and/or code (I forget which) and when you call DIRECTV tell them the code and they're supposed to swap the receiver for free (but new 2 yr commitment).

If it's not a HR20/H20 have you directed the HDMI cable directly to the TV, bypassing the Denon, to make sure that at least is working properly?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#178 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Oh, my bad then! It's an HR20-700. I assumed that was a 3D capable receiver & the message was referring to my AV receiver, not the DirecTV receiver.

I'll give them a call & see what they have to say about a replacement.

#179 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

Oh, my bad then! It's an HR20-700. I assumed that was a 3D capable receiver & the message was referring to my AV receiver, not the DirecTV receiver.

Make sure you tell them you don't need a HR20 but a HR21/22/23/ or HR24 for 3D. Reason is that many times they see you have a HR20 and try to ship you another one since the HR20's have built in ATSC tuners, the others need the AM21 add on module for ATSC support. So even though the code the HR20 displays is supposed to make sure you don't get another HR20 I've see some folks say they've gone through multiple HR20 'upgrades' before the CSR gets it right. Good Luck!

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#180 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

No new commitment to upgrade from HR20 (not 3d compatible) to 3D capable HR. Just had an HR20 swapped for an HR24 + free AM21 in mid-Jan because I got a 3D TV and had an HR20. I specifically asked and was told, then checked and verified after the install that there was no commitment added.

They have 2 specific promos in their system. 1 gives you a "no commitment" no cost even for shipping swap for the HR20 or H20->to an H or HR21,2,3,4 receiver and the other gives you a free AM-21 OTA box if you were using OTA on your current HR20 box.

Make sure you confirm with the rep that they are aware of these 2 promos. If not have them check with a supervisor for the promo numbers.

spam firewall