Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Frustrated with D* Support

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

Wondering if it's a SWM and the OP need to unplug all of their receivers, and then unplug the power inserter?

#27 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

I may be all wet here but as I have a commercial install for my residential service. But, I have a "head end" in my under house walk space. It has always contained POWERED multiswitch devices, DSL modem, router and wireless hub, and backbone network switch.

Do you have a similar point in your infrastructure where its merely a tripped breaker or power strip that might be affecting your internet and TV services?

I realize this is not a typical install configuration for nearly all residential accounts but had to ask since that is a possible point of failure in my configuration and it would exhibit precisely the same symptoms...

If you've a SWM dish (or inline SWM module) there is a power inserter somewhere, perhaps located on the same electrical outlet as your network "hub"?

Don "sometimes 'is it plugged in and on?' turns out to be the best question" Bolton

My system is pretty basic. No SWM, no powered switch. Just a dish with lines running to a basic switch/splitter then to the TV's. I have one HD-DVR in our family rooms, one old TIVO unit in bedroom and the other 3 receivers are old Samsung units in kids rooms. The only network connection to the Directv is a wireless adapter on HD-DVR for DOD. I already looked at breakers just to satisfy myself there wasn't something power related. All the units power back on fine, just dead-end when trying to acquire sat data.

#28 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

My system is pretty basic. No SWM, no powered switch. Just a dish with lines running to a basic switch/splitter then to the TV's. I have one HD-DVR in our family rooms, one old TIVO unit in bedroom and the other 3 receivers are old Samsung units in kids rooms. The only network connection to the Directv is a wireless adapter on HD-DVR for DOD. I already looked at breakers just to satisfy myself there wasn't something power related. All the units power back on fine, just dead-end when trying to acquire sat data.

Have you tried to remove the switch/splitter and run a line directly from the dish to a receiver & see what happens, at this point my guess its either that switch/splitter or the dish was knocked way off its proper position

#29 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Well I said I was probably all wet:p

Dish align or wire contact issues would be likely but the fact the network went down too has that coincidental factor that makes my head spin:nono:

Don "sorry your system is down for so long" Bolton

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Let's make this simple, Location: Official Troll.

If you don't expect more for your money, you will sure as heck never get more. People who don't expect service for what they pay for will never get it. You must at some point hold the provider responsible for giving good service instead of accepting poor service and making excuses for the provider. So do you think the people who have to wait 3 or 4 weeks should just shut up also. Sure you do because your the Official Troll.

Just a FYI...It says "Official Troll Smasher (of the Dish variety)."
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

Let's make this simple, Location: Official Troll.

If you don't expect more for your money, you will sure as heck never get more. People who don't expect service for what they pay for will never get it. You must at some point hold the provider responsible for giving good service instead of accepting poor service and making excuses for the provider. So do you think the people who have to wait 3 or 4 weeks should just shut up also. Sure you do because your the Official Troll.

:lol:What are you talking about now? Good service? Please show us how sending a tech out as early as possible and likely compensating the customer following a disruption of service caused by storm is bad service. We are talking about waiting from Friday until Monday...not three or four weeks.

You're a disgruntled former employee. We get it. Don't let your bias shine so bright.
DTV = Digital Television

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Just a FYI...It says "Official Troll Smasher (of the Dish variety)."

I just removed the word official to make it easier for some among us to understand. Troll Smasher. Perhaps I should change it to "Troll Smasher of the former disgruntled employee variety" instead. :D:lol::D:lol:
DTV = Digital Television

#33 OFFLINE   ssandhoops

ssandhoops

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

May be 4 days is not earth shattering but hoosier205 needs to consider that when your paying that much money a month you should get a little extra consideration.

If I had an appointment for service and D called me to say they had to reschedule because someone who paid more for service than I did just bumped me, I would terminate service immediately. Loss of TV service is not life threatening, it is an inconvenience. The only fair way to handle service calls is first come, first served.

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

Although I'm sorry that they cant get to you sooner than you would like, let me know when tv outage becomes an emergency situation.

#35 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Checked out my system at lunch. Still dead. Now, when going through set-up all receivers say cannot find satellite connected to the system. Something is definitely fried.

I checked outside, no noticeable problems. My switch is a Zinwell Multiswitch attached to the side of the foundation (ironically next to the telephone/dsl box). I had an issue with signal strength last year and when the tech came out he thought it was a switch issue. But before he changed out the switch he checked the LNB and found it was defective. But, he forgot to take the new switch which he left on top of our HVAC unit outside, so I still have a brand new in-box multiswitch in my garage (I did call the tech's cellphone to tell him he left it, but he never came back to get it). When I get home tonight, I'm going to switch out the multiswitch and see if that helps anything. Otherwise, I'll be waiting til Monday.

As for the one post asking "when did losing tv reception become an emergency"?.....it's not an emergency but it is a major inconvenience to go a whole weekend with 4 kids complaining about no TV and no internet, not to mention that I broke my foot Wednesday and can't really be out hiking or something this weekend. I realize there are other things to do, but like it or not we are a connected society. For me, it would be no different if it was my car....I'd be upset if my mechanic said it would be 3-4 days before he could even look at it. Honestly, if I could find a tech locally who'd be willing to work off the schedule, I'd pay $200 if I could get this fixed today or tomorrow.

#36 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

Checked out my system at lunch. Still dead. Now, when going through set-up all receivers say cannot find satellite connected to the system. Something is definitely fried.

I checked outside, no noticeable problems. My switch is a Zinwell Multiswitch attached to the side of the foundation (ironically next to the telephone/dsl box). I had an issue with signal strength last year and when the tech came out he thought it was a switch issue. But before he changed out the switch he checked the LNB and found it was defective. But, he forgot to take the new switch which he left on top of our HVAC unit outside, so I still have a brand new in-box multiswitch in my garage (I did call the tech's cellphone to tell him he left it, but he never came back to get it). When I get home tonight, I'm going to switch out the multiswitch and see if that helps anything. Otherwise, I'll be waiting til Monday.

As for the one post asking "when did losing tv reception become an emergency"?.....it's not an emergency but it is a major inconvenience to go a whole weekend with 4 kids complaining about no TV and no internet, not to mention that I broke my foot Wednesday and can't really be out hiking or something this weekend. I realize there are other things to do, but like it or not we are a connected society. For me, it would be no different if it was my car....I'd be upset if my mechanic said it would be 3-4 days before he could even look at it. Honestly, if I could find a tech locally who'd be willing to work off the schedule, I'd pay $200 if I could get this fixed today or tomorrow.

being as you had issues with the DSL and Directv and the DSL is right next to the multiswitch i would be willing to bet that once you switch out the Multiswitch to the new one your issue could be fixed

#37 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

Google will help.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#38 OFFLINE   colts19

colts19

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

I just removed the word official to make it easier for some among us to understand. Troll Smasher. Perhaps I should change it to "Troll Smasher of the former disgruntled employee variety" instead. :D:lol::D:lol:

I am not a former disgruntled employee, I retired from the postal service after 40 years and was just working as a csr part time to fill in some hours during the week. After working 45 to 50 hours a week for 40 years it kind of hard to adjust to all the free time. As far a directv, I have had it since 1999 and am very happy with it, they have always been very fair with me. However, some people defend directv to the point where they can't see anyone's point of view except their own.

I really enjoyed my time with directv, but having spent years in customer service, it was had for me to tell people how great we were for taking their money when we wouldn't provide them with service for extended periods of time.

#39 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,823 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Try bypassing your multiswitch and connect one of your Receivers directly to the satellite dish. That will help you rule out a defective multiswitch.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#40 OFFLINE   texas16309

texas16309

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

I agree with the OP. D*'s support does suck. I upgraded my package from Choice+DVR to Premier. A DVR fee was put back on to my account and support was unwilling to waive the fee even though I'll be paying more money (about $45 more) per month. they wouldn't cut me a break on the $7 fee. Sheesh...

#41 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I agree with the OP. D*'s support does suck. I upgraded my package from Choice+DVR to Premier. A DVR fee was put back on to my account and support was unwilling to waive the fee even though I'll be paying more money (about $45 more) per month. they wouldn't cut me a break on the $7 fee. Sheesh...

You changed from a package that included the dvr fee to one that didn't. Why should you get it free anymore?

#42 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

I am confused. In your first post you say that
"As I stated, my internet is also affected by this and my internet provider will be at my house LATER today, no problem. But it will take Directv almost 4 days to come out? Unbelievable."

But now you state you will be without Internet the whole weekend. SO I guess your Internet provider is no better than Directv!!! My opinion is GET OVER IT. Directv did not CAUSE the storm. Crap happens. Waiting until Monday is not bad at all. That time frame is reasonable.

Jason

Edited by jep8821, 06 August 2010 - 09:12 PM.

All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#43 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

I replaced the multiswitch and it worked. As for Internet, they DID come yesterday and fixed the problem, leaving D*'s support in the dust.

As for my appt Monday, I'm not canceling ...they can check my dish alignment .

#44 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I replaced the multiswitch and it worked. As for Internet, they DID come yesterday and fixed the problem, leaving D*'s support in the dust.

As for my appt Monday, I'm not canceling ...they can check my dish alignment .

Figured you got it fixed since you had not posted all day :lol:

#45 OFFLINE   floridagal

floridagal

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

if u have a swm system - find the power inserter - unplug from power for 15 sec and then replug should reset system -

Protected By... spam firewall...And...