Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Forum Supplement: Twitter-like services?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

You know, this seems like a fairly active and busy forum, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever thought about implementing/wanted a Twitter-like service to supplement the forum? I tend to frequent the TWiT Army, and they use a service called StatusNet (actually, they use Laconica, whose name changed to StatusNet, but their install is so ancient that it still uses the old name), and it seems like something like that would almost be a natural supplement to a busy forum. Or would that be something people don't even want near their forums?

Just curious…

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

I don't know if it would be helpful but you can follow us on facebook and twitter directly... there are links at the bottom of the home page.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Thank you!

I don't know if it would be helpful but you can follow us on facebook and twitter directly... there are links at the bottom of the home page.

I hadn't noticed those. What I was thinking of was more like DBSTalk having its own Twitter-like service. StatusNet is a popular system, and it's protocol-compatible with Twitter (so most Twitter clients can be modified to support it, merely by pointing it at a different service, and in fact many support this use), and is federated, so there can be some crossing-of-borders, so to speak, with other StatusNet-powered microblogs, like Identi.ca or the TWiT Army.

The idea is that one would be able to have an environment very much like Twitter (ephemeral, transitive, brief, mobile, etc) but it would be more like a specifically-flavored Twitter (like how DBSTalk is a specifically-flavored vBulletin forum)
Give me enough time and leeway and I'll knock your socks off!
P.S. - Will work for money :/

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

It's an interesting idea. Now that I've moved this to a place where other members will expect to see it, let's open it up to discussion. We've got RSS, we've got facebook and twitter feeds, we've got a chatroom... is there a desire from you guys to see more?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Wish I could say. Sadly I'm a little too nubcake to know the feelings of the majority, but given that something based on StatusNet is less like a feed of information and more like a mesh of quick, ephemeral communication, it might be. I set up one of these doodads back before it changed names, and it's not so hard to set up, and pretty easy to maintain. Though some features, like e-mail-based mobile messaging (think Twitter SMS, but via e-mail) requires a tiny bit more tinkering.

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:22 AM

I don't use twitter, so I don't fully understand the idea. Would we just post little snippets like "excuse me while I dither?" or "Dude, I just d/l the latest CE!" like twitter posts?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:05 AM

Its a good idea but our Facebook, Twitter and RSS feeds are good enough for now.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,236 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

I'm watching the CBS Early Show and having my 2nd cup of coffee while I post this.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

I don't use twitter, so I don't fully understand the idea. Would we just post little snippets like "excuse me while I dither?" or "Dude, I just d/l the latest CE!" like twitter posts?

No reason people couldn't (assuming there isn't a rule prohibiting it). I'm just kind of throwing the idea out there.

Its a good idea but our Facebook, Twitter and RSS feeds are good enough for now.

Well, I figured it was at least worth suggesting.

I'm watching the CBS Early Show and having my 2nd cup of coffee while I post this.

I'm drinking coffee and recovering data from my old storage HDD. Thinking about rebuilding my old HTPC DVR. And on my second cup of coffee as well. ;)

spam firewall