Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FTA Nubcake, looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Howdy. I'm a new to FTA, and I'm interested in putting an FTA DVB-S (Preferably S2) tuner in my MythTV DVR, and I'm just not sure how to get started. Would it be a better idea to start with a set-top box for pointing the dish and figuring out which satellites I want to use, or just skip to a PCI Card?

Also, I'm not sure what equipment to buy. I have a 30" Dish 500 err… dish that I bought from a garage sale, and I know I have to replace the LBNF with one that supports linear polarization, but at least I have the bulkiest, most annoying to ship part. I just don't know where I should be looking for parts, or what parts I ought to get. And as far as I can tell, there are no non-DirecTV/Dish/EchoStar (didn't they dissolve into another company?) satellite equipment sellers in my area (unless they might be the place to look for FTA equipment?).

Right now, this is just a hobby, and I'm not even sure that my geography will permit me to properly receive a signal, so I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into this just yet.

Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciate, and sorry if this isn't the place to be asking for help of this type.
Give me enough time and leeway and I'll knock your socks off!
P.S. - Will work for money :/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ClearSKY

ClearSKY

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

Depending on your location you might to get a bigger dish than a dish 500, Pansat sells a good 36" then you'll need a good linear lnb, and a good receiver. go to lyngsat.com to see what size dish you need based on your location.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...