Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade and Account Changes Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   /dev/null

/dev/null

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

I have been a Dish subscriber since late 2006. I currently have two DVR's, a 625 and 522. In terms of programming I have AT250, HD 250, HD Platinum. For the DVR's I have two charges, $17.00 for Duo DVR and $6.00 for DVR Service.

What I would like to do is this: 1) Get Free HD for Life, 2) Get a 722k DVR.

Here are my questions:
  • Is signing up for HD 250 Free the same as Free HD for Life?
  • What do I gain and what do I lose by signing up for HD 250 Free?
  • Does doing so impact the 522?
  • By adding a 722k will I be hit with a second $17.00 per month charge for Duo DVR?
  • Should I sign up for the protection plan before calling Dish for the 722k?
  • With the 922 out how much should I expect the 722k to be (I think it should be free)?
  • Can I just drop the protection plan after the 722k is installed?
  • Can I add on another EHD for the new 722k (currently have one on my 625) without an additional charge?
  • Does signing up for Free HD for Life (whether online or on phone) negate my ability to acquire a 722k (hopefully for free)?

Additional information follows. I am currently on paperless statements with Auto Pay (just activated Auto Pay today and my new billing cycle has not started yet - and yes, I know that I missed the window without a 2 year commitment and possibly this requirement, unfortunately). Another 2 year commitment is not a big deal for me. Bills are always paid on time. I need an installer to come out for the 722k due to my intended target configuration. I also would like to drop the HD Platinum since we do not watch any of those 16 channels.

Current configuration:
  • The 522 is in Room A, my sons room, and is in single mode.
  • The 625 is in Room B, family room, and is in dual mode, connected to my 73" HD DLP.
  • TV2 of the 625 is in Room C, master bedroom, and is a 40" HD LCD.

Intended target configuration:
  • No changes to the 522 configuration.
  • Move 625 to Room C, master bedroom, connected to 40" HD LCD.
  • TV2 of 625 to be 73" HD DLP in Room B, family room.
  • Put 722k in Room B, family room, connected to 73" HD DLP.
  • TV2 of 722k to be 40" HD LCD in Room C, master bedroom.

Currently I do not want a 922 since I seek the same reliable operations that I have had from my 625 for years (else my wife would kill me).

Finally: 1) Is there some particular order in which I should do all of this, and, 2) any other suggestions?

As always, thank you in advance for everyone's insight and time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

A 522 and 625 are nearly identical (625 has a larger hard drive) and both only support SD. One of those two is probably a 622 but both are only one digit off from 622. Neither a 522 or 625 support an EHD, so I *think* every time you typed 625, you meant 622. In what room do you watch a channel that has HD displayed in the Banner / guide?

4) Every Duo DVR after the 1st on an account is charged an additional $17.
$10 of that could be offset by dropping Platinum if you currently show one $10 line item on your last bill for Platinum and another $10 line item for HD 250. A 2nd $10 could be saved with HD for Life and the 2 year commit (or one time $99). You could replace the son's 522 with a 612 (Single mode only, dual tuner HD DVR) because it is $10/month instead of $17 for a Duo Dvr. That would be more up front to get BOTH a 612 and a 722k. I can't tell you how much more - I'd need to phone to find the same thing for my account (which might not be the same price).

8) Once you pay $40 for EHD for a 612/622/722, you can add EHD to any other ViP HD DVRs (NOT a 211) without additional cost.

You should be able to DIU (receiver upgrade) and HD for Life and have a single 24 month commit that covers both. Doing one before the other should effect anything, but the commit would be 25 months if you waited a month between the transactions.

"TV2 of 625 to be 73" HD DLP in Room B, family room." I'm sure you know, but that SD only coax will be "a little grainy" on a 73" HD screen!

Someone else can help with the other questions, but you should clear up the 522/625 and mention the regular line items on the bill.

#3 OFFLINE   /dev/null

/dev/null

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for your help. Yes you are right that I certainly meant the 622 and not 625. Looks my fingers type without left brain interaction! Thus, I have one 522 and one 622. The 522 is what my son uses (and I would have its TV2 to feed my guest room). The 622 is what is in my family room with the big screen (yep, HD).

So, my line items on my bill:
  • America's Top 250 - $64.99
  • HD 250 - $10.00
  • HD Platinum - $10.00
  • DUO DVR Receiver - $17.00
  • DVR Service $6.00

I didn't think the 522 was a Duo DVR. At the time, in 2006, when I started service, I had to pay $200 for the 622 and the 522 was free. Do you mean the 522 is also a Duo DVR?

I do well know that SD on the 73" would be very grainy! But, my wife wants to be able to watch what is on each DVR in the target configuration (a 622 and 722k) on either TV (family room or master bedroom). I am still trying to talk her out of it! In fact, is it even possible since in each room I have only a single coax drop?

So then I could do the HD Free for Life online and call Dish for the 722k and wind up with just a 24 month commitment? I would like to understand this as I would like to pull the trigger this weekend.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

#4 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Yep, a 522 is a Duo and is charged the same monthly rate as the 622. The "most expensive receiver" is w/o additional charge from your ATxxx subscription. If you changed the 522 to a 211 (not a DVR w/o adding an external drive), the 622 would be included with ATxxx and the $17 receiver fee would become $7 for the 211. $10 if you changed the 522 to 612. Neither the 211 or 612 would have a TV2 to feed any other room with independent programming (not a Duo). The EHD on a 211 is a different $40 charge than the $40 that covers any EHD on all 612/622/722 on your account.

I'd phone a CSR (or do online chat) to find the cost to you to upgrade and add the 722k. As a plain add, you'll get the $17 addl receiver fee each month. The up front cost can vary by customer history, and they'd be able to tell you if having the Service Plan @ $6/month would effect the cost of the DIU installer visit. You can cancel the Service Plan any time, but there is a $25 cancel fee ($6 + $15 visit + $25 cancel is still cheaper than $99 visit w/o the plan). I'd probably do both HD for Life and any receiver upgrade together on a phone call myself. Both may have a 24 month commit, but I think they may have different early termination $ figures (prorated at months remaining).

Less than optimal, but you can use pairs of diplexers on each single cable to different rooms to carry both the satellite signal (> 950 MHz) and UHF/VHF (<950 MHz). That essential makes the single cable into two, by dividing into two frequency ranges. That would allow you to sent TV1 & TV2 of the 722k back out to the dish as two channels (25 and 29 ? if those aren't used in local OTA). If you connect the UHF/VHF of that diplexer at the dish with a short coax to the diplexer that is used to the master bedroom, the it could see the front rooms 25 & 29 plus send its TV1 & TV2 out as 33 and 38 to go to the other room. But that only gets it to those two rooms - not to the whole house. The standard install of a Duo receiver only covers its room and (if ordered to cover a 2nd TV in another room), the coax needed to get to that other room. It wouldn't normally cover adding a pair of diplexers to existing receivers. That can be a DIY or you might have to pay an installer for it.

You didn't mention any OTA antenna and that could complicate wiring. As long as that is done on a separate coax to one room, it is possible to also have that combined with the Home Dist UHF/VHF (but you need to avoid sending your home dist signal back up to the antenna).

My GUESS is that DISH would want $100 to add an HD Duo DVR (covers receiver and install). The possible problem is DISH considers 622/722/722k as equivalent HD Duo DVRs and won't guarantee you will get a 722k. If it is important to get a 722k instead of a 722, you might try to order the OTA module for it as well. Or mention that the Install will be off if the guy doesn't come with one. YMMV here.

Good Luck!

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

I didn't think the 522 was a Duo DVR. At the time, in 2006, when I started service, I had to pay $200 for the 622 and the 522 was free. Do you mean the 522 is also a Duo DVR?

In gross terms, 522=625=SD Duo DVR=$17/month. Both the 5xx and 6xx numbering schemes for this device were out of sequence as it is neither a 5xx class DVR nor anything that should be confused with a ViP6xx class DVR.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

Yes you are right that I certainly meant the 622 and not 625.

I find it an excellent failsafe to always use the full model "number". If you're talking about a ViP series box, always prefix the number with ViP as applicable.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   /dev/null

/dev/null

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Yep, a 522 is a Duo and is charged the same monthly rate as the 622. The "most expensive receiver" is w/o additional charge from your ATxxx subscription.

Thanks for this clarification. So, by adding another Duo I wind up with an additional $17 a month. I can deal with that since I can recover that by Free HD for Life and dropping HD Platinum.

If you changed the 522 to a 211 (not a DVR w/o adding an external drive), the 622 would be included with ATxxx and the $17 receiver fee would become $7 for the 211. $10 if you changed the 522 to 612. Neither the 211 or 612 would have a TV2 to feed any other room with independent programming (not a Duo). The EHD on a 211 is a different $40 charge than the $40 that covers any EHD on all 612/622/722 on your account.

Good suggestion on changing the 522 to the 612; my son doesn't need an EHD so no big deal there.

I'd phone a CSR (or do online chat) to find the cost to you to upgrade and add the 722k.

I plan to do exactly that; I like knowing what's possible, reasonable and what to expect before doing so.

You didn't mention any OTA antenna and that could complicate wiring.

Nope, no OTA.

The possible problem is DISH considers 622/722/722k as equivalent HD Duo DVRs and won't guarantee you will get a 722k. If it is important to get a 722k instead of a 722, you might try to order the OTA module for it as well. Or mention that the Install will be off if the guy doesn't come with one.

I have seen that mentioned elsewhere. I notice that on Dish's site for DVR receivers (main customer site, not support) that there is only mention of the 722/722k not the 622 (save for in the brochure at which point it is just a mention as it being the follow on in so many words). My plan when I call was to tell Dish exactly that: that the install will be off if the guy does not come with a 722k.

Ultimately you are right that I will just have to see what Dish says.

Edited by /dev/null, 07 August 2010 - 01:06 PM.

spam firewall