Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local Teams and Blackouts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shad

Shad

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

My area is claimed by four major league baseball teams. (Astros, Rangers, Royals and Cardinals). I receive Astro and Ranger games on my base RSN, Fox Southwest. If I add the Sports Pack I can get Royals and Cardinal games.

The problem is, Kansas City and St. Louis games are blacked out on ESPN and MLB Network whether I subscribe to the Sports Pack or not, forcing those fans to subscribe to that package if they would like to see any games.

In reality, shouldn't the ESPN and MLB Network blackouts only apply to the Rangers and Astros, since they are the teams seen by all subscribers in Arkansas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

No. If MLB claims you are in Cardinals and Royals territory, they will be blacked out on ESPN and MLB. That is regardless of if you can actually see the games locally. Every spot in the US has at least one team assigned to it. Draconian MLB rules.

As for the RSNs, there are primary and fringe markets for RSNs. You are in the fringe market of FSNMW, so you have to get the Sports Pack for Cardinals and Royals. That is negogiated with the RSN, not with MLB.

You may be able to get a deal on the Sports Pack if you try.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

You must watch the games on your RSN(s)

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#4 OFFLINE   Shad

Shad

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

I understand all the rules. I have dealt with them ad nauseum through the years. I just was throwing out what seems to me should be the common sense approach. They are assuming everyone subscribes to the Sports Pack when they blackout the games on MLB Network and ESPN.

Then again, there is no common sense when it comes to MLB and their blackout policies. It is over 600 miles from my house to Houston, yet I am considered to be in Astro territory......

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

I understand all the rules. I have dealt with them ad nauseum through the years. I just was throwing out what seems to me should be the common sense approach. They are assuming everyone subscribes to the Sports Pack when they blackout the games on MLB Network and ESPN.

Then again, there is no common sense when it comes to MLB and their blackout policies. It is over 600 miles from my house to Houston, yet I am considered to be in Astro territory......

No. They are assuming that you can get the game through local means. FSN holds rights to Cardinal and Royal games in your area. Local means. So ESPN and MLB cannot give it to you. They make no assumption on how you have to pay for the games or not. From a rights perspective for ESPN or MLB Channel, it would be the same if you got it OTA or basic or premium cable. It is not their right to judge that.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

They are assuming that you can get the game through local means.

MLB doesn't even bother to do that, really, with some of their absurdly large territorial claims.

But rest assured they are "working on it." :rolleyes:

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#7 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

IMHO,

First, Baseball, via fan surveys, polls, a look at local media and who it covers, ticket sales data, radio affiliates, and such should look at the absolutly absurd territorial claims of many teams. For example, Cleveland claims my area. No one here thinks anything of Cleveland. The claims that are not supportable should be cancelled.

Then, DirecTV should provide every viewer with every RSN that carries a team that claims his local area as "in-market" as a part of the basic package.

#8 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

Listen.. where I live.. 100 yards makes a difference. .100 yards and I can get the twins and the brewers.. but because of where I am listed.. I cannot.. and its BULL CRAP..
and I have called the twins.. and they say I am in their area.. and that I should get the games.. and I talked to Fox sports .. who really doesn't care.. but can treat you like trash..because SHE can see any game that she wants to see , so screw you..

and I have talked to the Brewers.. who blame Bud Selig.. and say call him..

its no one wants the blame.. no one wants the responsibility.. no one really cares WHAT YOU , the FAN WANTS.. all they care about is passing the buck..

oh and this is the first time that I have written about this, all this year.. so I don't want to hear from the "defenders of the rhelm either..

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

MLB doesn't even bother to do that, really, with some of their absurdly large territorial claims.

Yes and no. Since the team has rights in that area, they can sell the game to a local provider. Whether they do or not is not a factor in the MLB or EPSN providing of the game. They still assume you have a local method of getting the game, even if you do not!

#10 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yes and no. Since the team has rights in that area, they can sell the game to a local provider. Whether they do or not is not a factor in the MLB or EPSN providing of the game. They still assume you have a local method of getting the game, even if you do not!

I don't think we disagree. Multiple teams have been allow to claim overly large territories where they lack a current broadcast presence. MLB claims to want to address that, but progress is so slow as to make one question their seriousness.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

If you are lucky to haver DNS feeds it helps sometimes if you have SD DNS feeds. On saturdays alot of times I have a choice between 3 different games to watch. Same for Football only more options really. With having east and west coast channels you could get alot of games for free. That being said the games they air are not usually the Colts so I pay for Sunday Ticket and am happy with it. I used to pay for the Sports Pack to watch the Royals games but I never noticed any blackouts.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

spam firewall