Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Another case of Dish incompentence

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

I've had the same 622 for four years and finally the hdmi went out - no surprise. I called, told them I am on the Dish plan (which I think is their version of "insurance"). They said they would send out another receiver and would provide a pre-paid label to return the old one. When the new one arrived it took over an hour with a tech person on the phone to finally get the signal. Then a message came up saying something was wrong and I could not record or pause live tv, which, when I tried, was correct. The techie (after another 20 minutes) concluded the hard drive was bad (don't they check these things before sending them out?). I know it is refurbished but they should at least check the hard drive.

I told him I did not want to go through this again and wanted an installer to come out with a good receiver and set it up, since I have the "insurance". He said it would still cost me $15 and I said that was cheap for my time. He said to give the installer the two defected units rather than sending them back. The installer came this morning and said he was here to check out the replacement unit. He did not have any kind of replacement. I told him that was the agreement I had reached with the Dish rep. He said he would order another and it should be here by Weds. but that I would have to send back the two bad units, he could not take them.

When he left I called Dish again. The rep this time could not explain why things turned out as they did but he said he would find an installer who had a unit in stock and would send them out tomorrow (on a Sunday). What a joke! How does a company stay in business operating this way? Living out in the sticks I have no HD cable so my options are limited between Dish and Direct and I like the equipment Dish has (when it works that is).

No real reason for this post other than to let people know who come here that do have options that things are not as they always appear when viewing the ads. Everyone has problems now and then but incompetence seems to be the rule rather than the exception at Dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Sorry you had your issues and the screw up for the repair.

Unfortunately, you could be with D* or any other provider and get the same fairly poor customer service all too often.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Sorry you had your issues and the screw up for the repair.

Unfortunately, you could be with D* or any other provider and get the same fairly poor customer service all too often.

Yes, I think this is a way of life in our country these days. I don't care if you deal with Dish, Sears, WalMart, whoever, they just don't seem to know how to handle things. we shall see what tomorrow brings when they come out with the replacement (IF they have a replacement!).

#4 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

...What a joke! How does a company stay in business operating this way?...

simple, because 98% of the Dish customers haven't had the problems you are currently experiencing.
Sorry it happened to you, but I would submit that yours is the exception and not the rule.

#5 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

simple, because 98% of the Dish customers haven't had the problems you are currently experiencing.
Sorry it happened to you, but I would submit that yours is the exception and not the rule.

I agree, but it is that 1% that speak the loudest. The silent majority seldom get the fruit. The surest way to demise it to loose market shares one by one in an ever increasing competitive market - down the tube you go, slow yes, but sure. Every customer should be treated like they are important. When I called the first time, a recording came on that said, "we see you are one of our very best customers". If that is the case, I would hate to see the kind of attention they give to those they consider not to be the "best"!

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

It also helps when touting someone else's incompetence to spell it correctly.

:lol:

#7 OFFLINE   brewsky

brewsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Any issues like that should be noted on wk order for "tech to bring replacement recv."....ive see it a few times on jobs..... 15 $ is pretty good though for a tech to come out replace/repair whatever.....saves you down time and frustration....Next time have dish Note the wk order......we cant read all the notes sometimes and really walk into jobs blind sometimes

#8 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

That's not "incompetence", that's DISH on any given day.

#9 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

That's not "incompetence", that's DISH on any given day.

Well, no matter how you spell it, I know it when I see it and I saw plenty already. Today the second service man showed up and said his work order also did not contain a note to bring another receiver. I said to myself here we go again but before he came out he called me and I asked if he had any receivers in his truck and he said he did.

I told him the whole story, he checked out the receiver and confirmed the bad hard drive. He went out to the truck and brought out a brand new 722K! He activated it, checked it out (even the EHD) - all with no problem at all. I asked him what I was going to do about local HD since I knew I had to get a module for this receiver (Dish does not have my local in HD and probably never will out here where I live). I have a deep fringe antenna atop a 60' tower for my local reception and the HD is fantastic. He called Dish back to order the module and they said I should receive it by Thursday, he showed me how to install it and even got Dish to waive the $30 fee for it. But why can't it be done right the first time, saving them a bunch of money and me a bunch of time? He said he could not take back the original receiver, only the one that is currently active on the account so I still have to send the original one back myself. I'm an older guy in his 60s who does not have much patience anymore with people telling you one thing and doing another. I remember the days when that was not tolerated. In any event, now all is well - at least for the time being.

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Sometimes it's just too bad that we're old enough to remember when service and taking care of the customer was number one. It really frustrating that bad to mediocre service has become the norm. It sounds like you were fortunate to run across someone who actually cares. I'm sure that made you feel just a little better. I'm glad it worked out and I hope you continue to have good luck with your new receiver.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

Bottom line: We as consumers aren't willing to pay for top-notch customer service anymore. We buy everything from the cheapest place we can find it...we as the consumer base created the exact situation everyone complains about....

#12 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Bottom line: We as consumers aren't willing to pay for top-notch customer service anymore. We buy everything from the cheapest place we can find it...we as the consumer base created the exact situation everyone complains about....

Speak for yourself. I'm willing to pay for quality - in service and anything else. I just don't often get the option...
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

I would modify your statement only slightly. I don't think that it that we aren't willing anymore because years ago we really didn't have much choice as to where we bought specific things. Prior to large food chains one bought at the corner grocery. Before the internet, you bought from a brick and mortar in your area.

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Speak for yourself. I'm willing to pay for quality - in service and anything else. I just don't often get the option...

Absolutely.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#15 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

And the reason for that is as the previous poster noted not enough people are willing to pay for quality and just about anyone that tries to offer quality service either goes out of business or has to change their business model before they do go out of business. Most people are willing to put up w/ mediocre service if it saves them a few bucks. Why do you think Wal-Mart is so successful and putting many other stores out of business? Is it because of their stellar quality or customer service? No it's because they have tons of cheap crap! The American consumer has spoken this is what they want and they don't care if they cut their own throats to get it, sure ship mine and my neighbor's job overseas just so long as I can buy more for less!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...