Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need some major help.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Apparently a storm while I was away on vacation knocked my sat dish out of line, so I'm here with nothing.

Called D* and she said the next appointment she has is for Aug 16 :nono2:

What can I do?
Can I go out there and move my dish around and see if I can get this damn thing working again? I have a set of pliers and everything :grin:

Please, there is no way I'm waiting until the 16th...

One note, when I arrived back home last night and even some this morning, I was getting some channels, getting that 771 issue on some, but I was getting some channels.

Am I missing something or can I just mess with this dish until I start receiving some signal, it doesn't look like it's been really displaced, I imagine just a little shift.

Update: Direct called and said Tuesday morning and moved my appointment up.

Edited by themaestro, 07 August 2010 - 04:19 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Apparently a storm while I was away on vacation knocked my sat dish out of line, so I'm here with nothing.

What can I do?
Can I go out there and move my dish around and see if I can get this damn thing working again? I have a set of pliers and everything :grin:

One note, when I arrived back home last night and even some this morning, I was getting some channels, getting that 771 issue on some, but I was getting some channels.

Am I missing something or can I just mess with this dish until I start receiving some signal, it doesn't look like it's been really displaced, I imagine just a little shift.

Did you try a reset of your receivers?
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#3 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

What can I do?

Can you post your signal strengths on all of the satellites?

#4 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Yes I got a 40-598 error message

#5 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Can you post your signal strengths on all of the satellites?

Alll 0 or NA

#6 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

No signal, nothing is coming in, nothing.
Anyway I can adjust it myself to see if I can get it working?

#7 OFFLINE   blmoore

blmoore

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

If everything is 0, it can't hurt to go move the dish. Hopefully it is only off in one direction, and it will be good enough until D* can come out and repoint it.
HR20-700 w/ WD 1TB/Antec MX-1, HDMI to Sony 52" XBR6 LCD, Logitech Harmony 890
HR22-100, HDMI to Sony 46" XBR2 LCD
HDVR2 DirecTivo, 212 Hours, SlingBox AV
Slimline dish, Zinwell WB68

#8 OFFLINE   ljm1969

ljm1969

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Dont move it it may make things worse? it may be your lnb has gone bad. call dtv and tell them if they can't get someone out there earlier then your cancelling your service.

#9 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Is there someone you can communicate with inside the house who can let you know of any changes in signal strength via cell phone? Unless you know what you are doing don't mess with the little fine tuning knobs. One at a time, do azimuth(side to side) then elevation(up/down). Good luck.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

before you move the dish, check all your connections, if you have a multi-switch check that as well, the guy who started this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182220 sounds like he is having a similar situation to yours

#11 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

Ok I just tried to bypass the multiswitch and go straight to the cable.

What do I need to do next?

(just did two random cables, not sure which ones go to which receiver)

#12 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Is there someone you can communicate with inside the house who can let you know of any changes in signal strength via cell phone? Unless you know what you are doing don't mess with the little fine tuning knobs. One at a time, do azimuth(side to side) then elevation(up/down). Good luck.

Too late already messed with the finetuning knobs. What can I do about that?

I should have someone here in a minute who can help.
Do I just go out and move the dish some, if I pick up signal then it will show up and they will see?

#13 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Too late already messed with the finetuning knobs. What can I do about that?

I should have someone here in a minute who can help.
Do I just go out and move the dish some, if I pick up signal then it will show up and they will see?

The help you are expecting, does he/she know anything about satellite dish alignment? Since you have quite likely thrown the fine tuning out of adjustment any attempt to get any kind of signal may be futile. The effect of the storm(wind) most likely would have impacted azimuth or elevation, highly unlikely the fine tuning. Was the mast still secured to the surface to which it was mounted(roof/siding)?

#14 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Dont move it it may make things worse? it may be your lnb has gone bad. call dtv and tell them if they can't get someone out there earlier then your cancelling your service.

Unfortunately the CSRs do not have a magic wand to create more tech appointment slots. They can only schedule what is available. Sad, but true.:)

#15 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

just an FYI, the other thread i referenced, that guys issue was his multi-switch, but luckily he had one that an installer left there in the past.

#16 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

The help you are expecting, does he/she know anything about satellite dish alignment? Since you have quite likely thrown the fine tuning out of adjustment any attempt to get any kind of signal may be futile. The effect of the storm(wind) most likely would have impacted azimuth or elevation, highly unlikely the fine tuning. Was the mast still secured to the surface to which it was mounted(roof/siding)?

No they no nothing about this, the dish was still intact )pole mounted setup)
And like I said, I was getting some channels last night and this morning, then nothing. I had went out and checked it out, made sure everything was secure and the multiswitch was connected, everything looked ok. Cleared some cobwebs and junk off of it and came in. Then nothing was showing up.

Came in and it was 0s across the board.
Nothing I can do about the finetuning knob then? It wasn't working before I even touched it tbf.

#17 OFFLINE   whoray85

whoray85

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

If you're close enough to me, maybe I can help - are you anywhere near Raleigh?

#18 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

With a pole mount if the storm moved the dish, it likely moved horizontally. When you moved the fine tuning adjustments, I hope you loosened the lock down bolts before moving the tuning nut, otherwise you may have damaged the fine tuning mechanism!

Any how, if you didn't move the fine adjustment more that a full turn, try pushing or pulling on one edge of the dish while someone watches the signal strength meters on 101. Move slowly and wait between movements for any change in meter readings as there is a lag between movement of the dish and change in the meter. Try moving in one direction and if there is no change try the other direction.

Also check the pole to see if it is plumb as the wind may have moved everything.

And if it was an electrical storm, a surge may have taken out the LNB.

#19 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

If you're close enough to me, maybe I can help - are you anywhere near Raleigh?

Appreciate it, but not anywhere close to you. Thanks though.

With a pole mount if the storm moved the dish, it likely moved horizontally. When you moved the fine tuning adjustments, I hope you loosened the lock down bolts before moving the tuning nut, otherwise you may have damaged the fine tuning mechanism!

Any how, if you didn't move the fine adjustment more that a full turn, try pushing or pulling on one edge of the dish while someone watches the signal strength meters on 101. Move slowly and wait between movements for any change in meter readings as there is a lag between movement of the dish and change in the meter. Try moving in one direction and if there is no change try the other direction.

Also check the pole to see if it is plumb as the wind may have moved everything.

And if it was an electrical storm, a surge may have taken out the LNB.

Thanks for the tips.
I didn't tighten anything and was pissed, so it's highly likely I did break the fine tuning mechanism or something else, I probably shouldn't have even touched it but I did. I was getting some channels at first and decided to go out and clean it up and make sure everything was secure and nothing was on the dish, I came back in and was getting no signal on any channels then.. I really could give a **** at this point about ready to jerk the whole damn dish out of the ground anyway, which I may add would be easy because he didn't get it in the ground secured enough because it was a late Friday install (after he had already missed the 8-12 window and it was going on 3:00 and then he got here and couldn't install it cause he needed something else so he had to go back to his place and get something else, couldn't find the other one so he had to come back on a Saturday to finish the other setup, and then had to come back a few days later because it wasn't working properly to fix something). Tired of all the aggravation of this, yet another problem with this :rolleyes: Who even knows if it is weather related, just a hunch, for all I know it could be yet another issue with the equipment. Obviously if this is due to a weather event there is nothing that could have really been done tbf. Seriously though this turning into a joke, the tech was really unprofessional during the upgrade to HD, running around like a damn idiot and was really messy and sloppy and unprofessional, we own our own business so I know how hard it is to find good men, but really starting to think he gave me lousy service and all this is going back to him. My initial installation all those years ago was excellent, he took his time and was really neat and tidy, and I had no real issues during my time with the SD around 4yrs I think and I'm sure it was down to that tech and his great install. This clown rushed around like an idiot.

Got this HD installed in June and it has been issue after issue, can't help but think this tech and his **** work has something to do with it. I am a loyal customer for all these years and finally make the call to upgrade a to HD and expected excellent service and work, I feel I got an unprofessional installation and I am seeing the results of it. Still can't even get FSEspanol with this dish either lmao, tbf I didn't specially ask for it but was thinking my upgrade would include a dish capable of receiving the channel. So frustrated, really thinking about throwing the whole thing out. Could care less what they say about my 2 year commitment, it won't affect me, I buy in cash and use no credit and could care less if they slap some red flags on a credit check or something- it has no impact on me. I want a clean install with a new dish capable of receiving FSE, I want everything neatened up, I want this pole secured properly, I want some credit for all of this, and I want everything perfect in my setup...or I don't think I'm going to give them another dollar. What do they do if you get out of a 2yr commitment anyway?

Would much rather be watching SD this weekend than nothing at all. Not wanting to sound like an idiot on here, but was frustrated with it before and now this, plus I am tired already and have a ton of other work that needs to be done. I get tired of having to deal with this every couple of weeks.

I do appreciate everyone's help and tips on here, great forum and I always get sound advice on here. I'll be sure to come back during my next issue. :rolleyes:

I also want to tell you the exact equipment he gave me...I want the latest and best, not something outdated or old.

#20 OFFLINE   floridagal

floridagal

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

if u have a swm system - look for the power inserter plugged into main recvr with a green light - if red or not green unplug from power for 20 sec and the plug back in - this resets your swm -

spam firewall