Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM-21 OTA Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   agreco60

agreco60

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Can anybody tell me how to scan channels with the AM-21 OTA receiver installed on a H24-500. I used to have the H-20 and I received a lot more channels including Canada. Now it just asks for your zip code in set up. Is there a different zip I can use that would scan for all channel's not just my local market.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Except for the H20, all the HD receivers just the table that get's downloaded to the receiver based on the zipcode(s) you enter. There is no zipcode that you can enter to have the box do a scan like the H20.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

You cant scan. What you can do, is add the zip code closest to the canadian broadcast stations you wish to receive, into the secondary zip code slot, and *IF* Directv has those Canadian stations in the database, it should tune them. If not, you will need to find another zip code somewhere in the US, that has the same exact physical channels as the Canadian city you wish to receive. It should then tune them, but the guide data will be wrong.

Personally, I would just run a splitter, and use your TV tuner to watch the Canadian ones.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   gordo80

gordo80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Can anybody tell me how to scan channels with the AM-21 OTA receiver installed on a H24-500. I used to have the H-20 and I received a lot more channels including Canada. Now it just asks for your zip code in set up. Is there a different zip I can use that would scan for all channel's not just my local market.

Thanks

You can get a converter box. If got a channel master cm7000 its well worth since you can scan the channels. I got it for $60 at fry's. I originally bought the am21 at my local spot was not happy and return it for a refund and I got a channel master instead.

#5 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Appears I need a new macro :)

The OTA implementation of this series of receivers has been a design flaw from day 1 (either in omission or in usage, with this Tribune nonsense). Pathetic.

This is one of the reasons I still (unfortunately) pine for a new Tivo - it may have a working, scanning, OTA implementation.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

You can get a converter box. If got a channel master cm7000 its well worth since you can scan the channels. I got it for $60 at fry's. I originally bought the am21 at my local spot was not happy and return it for a refund and I got a channel master instead.

This works just fine unless you have a DVR to record those stations. :(
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   gordo80

gordo80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

This works just fine unless you have a DVR to record those stations. :(

If you have a dvd player you can connect to the channel master and record from their. But I know it's frustrated when you can't record those shows. The only reason I got that box so I can receive my locals station from another country which is Mexico. Channel Master sells another converter box that has a built in DVR with HDMI connection, but that puppy is about $300 which you can get at fry's too much money for me.

spam firewall