Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protextion Plan. Is it worth it

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

We have had it for almost 2 years. Never used it. But like others said. Just like insurance. If you need it. It will be there and no cost to you for repairs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

For a customer with an account in good standing and some time with DirecTV, I'd be hard pressed to see the value in paying for the protection plan. Over the years, I've had at least 3 or 4 receivers or DVRs replaced because they died, and I've never paid a cent for those replacements, and a simple request on my part has also gotten the $19.95 shipping charge waived. I've upgraded equipment, had my outdoor equipment replaced a couple of times, had my dish pointing peaked, and even upgraded my receivers and DVRs , and, again, I've never paid a cent to do so without a protection plan.

I actually found it humorous that, a couple of weeks ago, when one of my DVRs died and DirecTV arranged to send out a replacement at no charge, the CSR tried to sell me the protection plan and tried to convince me that it was a good value because, if my equipment failed, I could get it replaced without charge. This was the same CSR who had just placed the order to replace my DVR with no charge and no protection plan.

I'm confident that the profit margin for DirecTV for the protection plan makes it one of their biggest money makers, just as extended warranties are generally the biggest money makers for appliance retailers, auto dealers, and other retailers. I figure that, even if I do have to pay out of pocket for something in the future, the money that I otherwise would have paid for a protection plan during my 15 years as a DirecTV customer still would put me many dollars ahead. If my house burns down or if my car is a total loss or if I need tens of thousands of dollars worth of medical care, those events would be a serious financial blow, and I'm willing to buy insurance to protect me against those kinds of losses. On the other other hand, I have no interest in buying insurance (and allowing someone else to make a significant profit) to protect against the relatively small financial losses that the DirecTV protection plan might cover. And, again, when you consider that DirecTV seems willing, for long time customers, at least, to replace equipment or roll a truck at no charge, it makes passing on the protection plan a very easy decision.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,917 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

For a customer with an account in good standing and some time with DirecTV, I'd be hard pressed to see the value in paying for the protection plan.

If you're a long time customer with owned units, that's where the plan is particularly good. Without it, owned units get replaced with leased. With the plan, they are marked as owned. To some people that really makes a difference.

#24 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

To me for $6/mo it is not even a question. It's not like I am "savings" anything. I am pretty sure if I didnt have the protection plan I wouldn't be "saving" $72/yr. I just wouldnt be spending it on the protection plan. I'd probably be spending it on something else I didnt need.

To me it is worth $6/mo to know it wont be me on a ladder messing with my dish in 100+ degree Texas heat or running replacement lines, etc. Nor will I have to play CSR roulette hoping one of them will waive a fee that non PP customers should have to pay. When one of my receivers went down, it was a 5min call and a new receiver in 2 days.

To me the $6/mo is totally worth peace of mind.

Overuse of the phrase "to me" is intentional. It is my opinion. I realize some disagree.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#25 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

I got hit by lightening last week and lost a hddvr, swm, and a multiswitch. Very worth it in that case.

Not really.

A service call is $50. I don't know what if anything they would have charged you for a new SWM, multiswitch, and a refurbished replacement HDDVR. Usually the $50 service call fee covers equipment. If they come out to replace some bad connectors they don't charge your $1.25 for each connector + the $50 service call price. If they would have charged you for the hddvr, swm, and a multiswitch most likey your home owners insurance would have covered it. You're probably already using your home owners insurance poilcy to replace all the other stuff in the house that was blown by a direct lightening hit.

#26 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

To me for $6/mo it is not even a question. It's not like I am "savings" anything. I am pretty sure if I didnt have the protection plan I wouldn't be "saving" $72/yr. I just wouldnt be spending it on the protection plan. I'd probably be spending it on something else I didnt need.

To me it is worth $6/mo to know it wont be me on a ladder messing with my dish in 100+ degree Texas heat or running replacement lines, etc. Nor will I have to play CSR roulette hoping one of them will waive a fee that non PP customers should have to pay. When one of my receivers went down, it was a 5min call and a new receiver in 2 days.

To me the $6/mo is totally worth peace of mind.

Overuse of the phrase "to me" is intentional. It is my opinion. I realize some disagree.

To me I'd rather not spend $72 a year for something I don't use. To me it's like I am "saving" $6/month.

To me it's not a big deal to try to fix a problem myself. To me it's worth a one time charge of $50 for a service visit if I couln't fix the problem myself instead of $72 a year for DIRECTV protection money.

To me if one of my receivers went down it would still be a 5 min. call and I'd have a replacement in 2 days, and it would only cost me $20, no big deal. Having the protection plan doesn't make your DIRECTV phone calls go any faster or get replacement equipment shipped to you any faster.

#27 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Good point. I spend $6 a month on tacos, at least. Over the course of 10 years, that's $720 I have spend on tacos! :D

Still though, if your wiring was good for 10 years, which of course there is no reason why it can't be, your LNB needs an occasional replacement, and a few receiver swaps, over 10 years you wouldn't be anywhere near $720 in costs. Assuming you could fix things yourself that is.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

No.

Never wouldve used it in 7 years i have directv.

So saved $500+.

I've never had the need for it in my 10 years either, and I don't even have the ability to align a dish, replace an LNB, or replace Dish. I've just never needed those things done (nor have I ever had a receiver replaced). That's over $700 saved here (actually only over $600, cause I did have the PP for about 6 months once).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#29 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:36 AM

Not really.

A service call is $50. I don't know what if anything they would have charged you for a new SWM, multiswitch, and a refurbished replacement HDDVR. Usually the $50 service call fee covers equipment. If they come out to replace some bad connectors they don't charge your $1.25 for each connector + the $50 service call price. If they would have charged you for the hddvr, swm, and a multiswitch most likey your home owners insurance would have covered it. You're probably already using your home owners insurance poilcy to replace all the other stuff in the house that was blown by a direct lightening hit.

Neighbor got hit, no pertection plan, took out LNB and switch 312.00 to repair. No she cannot "climb on her roof and fix it herself" she is 70 yrs old.

I have it simply becasue every piece of Directv equipment in my house is owned

#30 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

Lets see
Last year they removed dish from roof and replaced with ground pole,new dish and underground wiring for $59. Paid myself. This past month my HR20 took a dump. Tech came out and determined 1 line was bad also. He replaced dish with new SWM dish, SWM wiring to receivers and also gave me a HR24-100. Great tech! All was covered by protection plan. SWEET!!!!:D
Avatar says" Children are the only earthly possessions you can take with you to heaven, where are you taking yours"

#31 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

Lets see
Last year they removed dish from roof and replaced with ground pole,new dish and underground wiring for $59. Paid myself. This past month my HR20 took a dump. Tech came out and determined 1 line was bad also. He replaced dish with new SWM dish, SWM wiring to receivers and also gave me a HR24-100. Great tech! All was covered by protection plan. SWEET!!!!:D

Talk to anyone who works in sales and works on a commission basis, whether it be selling cars, selling appliances, or selling just about anything else, and the two sweetest words to his/her ears are the words "protection plan". A good car sales person can give a customer what appears to be a "great deal" on a car, and, while the customer is giddy over the deal, sell that customer an extended warranty that turns the great deal for the customer into a great deal for the sales person. Everyone I know in sales privately tells his friends and family to stay away from protection plans/extended warranties.

And what makes the thought of paying for the DirecTV protection plan especially hard for me to understand is that DirecTV policy seems to be such that you can get all of the same things that you can get a with protection plan (and, perhaps even more) free without the protection plan. In the last 3 years, I've replaced two SD receivers with 2 HD DVRs, added an additional HD receiver, had a dead HD receiver replaced, had a dead DVR replaced, had a SWM installation done, had the dish upgraded, had the dish pointing peaked, and had two extra lines line runs installed. I don't have the protection plan, and I have not paid anything at all for any of those upgrades or replacements.

Further, from reading posts on this board, it seems like it may even be easier to get an equipment replacement without the protection plan than it is to get one with the protection plan. I see threads where people with the protection plan have had their claims for non-functioning equipment denied. At the same same time, I see other threads where people have had a less strong case for replacing equipment, and they get replacements at no cost to them without the protection plan. That makes me consider the possibility that, in the bureaucracy of DirecTV, the standard for replacing equipment with the protection plan may actually be higher than that for getting a no charge replacement without it.

It seems to be the case, though, that people either come down on one side of this issue or the other, and nothing is going to change that position. There are many who believe that a protection plan is an especially high mark up item and that it is a good deal, not for the customer, but only for DirecTV. There are others can't understand why everyone wouldn't want to have the "secure feeling" that a protection plan gives them.

#32 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

I don't want to discourage others from getting the protection plan. They have probably subsidized some of the free replacement DVRs I have gotten over the years. Just between us I think the money would be better spent getting high quality surge protectors like I have. Both my next door neighbors had most of their electronics wiped out a couple days ago by nearby lighting. I had no problems at all.

#33 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

I didn't take the protection plan and figure that each month I don't have a problem, I'm banking $6 towards a future repair. After 23 months with no issues, that fund has grown to $138. So I have a reserve built up for a service call or to purchase parts. Although I have invested in a whole house surge protector and a UPS for each of my HR's. So I guess I really don't have the full $138 to spend.

With the help of the many experts on dbstalk if a problem arises, I feel that someone would help me troubleshoot my issue. I'm a do-it-yourself-er with most things, so for example if it was determined that my LNB was bad, I feel confident I could replace it. Although first, I would see if I could get DIRECTV to replace it for the cost of a service call. If that didn't work, then I would order the LNB and replace it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#34 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Im late c u l8r lv u :)

yep the .05 out of network text was worth it. mmmmnnnmm

#35 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Talk to anyone who works in sales and works on a commission basis, whether it be selling cars, selling appliances, or selling just about anything else, and the two sweetest words to his/her ears are the words "protection plan". A good car sales person can give a customer what appears to be a "great deal" on a car, and, while the customer is giddy over the deal, sell that customer an extended warranty that turns the great deal for the customer into a great deal for the sales person. Everyone I know in sales privately tells his friends and family to stay away from protection plans/extended warranties.

And what makes the thought of paying for the DirecTV protection plan especially hard for me to understand is that DirecTV policy seems to be such that you can get all of the same things that you can get a with protection plan (and, perhaps even more) free without the protection plan. In the last 3 years, I've replaced two SD receivers with 2 HD DVRs, added an additional HD receiver, had a dead HD receiver replaced, had a dead DVR replaced, had a SWM installation done, had the dish upgraded, had the dish pointing peaked, and had two extra lines line runs installed. I don't have the protection plan, and I have not paid anything at all for any of those upgrades or replacements.

Further, from reading posts on this board, it seems like it may even be easier to get an equipment replacement without the protection plan than it is to get one with the protection plan. I see threads where people with the protection plan have had their claims for non-functioning equipment denied. At the same same time, I see other threads where people have had a less strong case for replacing equipment, and they get replacements at no cost to them without the protection plan. That makes me consider the possibility that, in the bureaucracy of DirecTV, the standard for replacing equipment with the protection plan may actually be higher than that for getting a no charge replacement without it.

It seems to be the case, though, that people either come down on one side of this issue or the other, and nothing is going to change that position. There are many who believe that a protection plan is an especially high mark up item and that it is a good deal, not for the customer, but only for DirecTV. There are others can't understand why everyone wouldn't want to have the "secure feeling" that a protection plan gives them.

In my case it is a requirement - I own every one of my DVR's and recievers. without the PP I would have to replace them with leased equipment.

I spend more in one evening out with my wife and kids then what the PP costs me for a year.

#36 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

I own two of my three DVRs, and I don't have the PP. So if one of the owned DVRs goes bad it gets replaced with a leased one. Is that really a bad thing? I can't see why it would matter. :confused:

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#37 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

If you buy the DTV service plan , you have to wait 30 days before you can put in a service request?

Dish used to let you buy the plan and get the service tech out there the next day.

#38 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

I own two of my three DVRs, and I don't have the PP. So if one of the owned DVRs goes bad it gets replaced with a leased one. Is that really a bad thing? I can't see why it would matter. :confused:

It depends, since you own them, you can de-activate and re-activate as you please without sending them back. With a leased unit if you send a HD-DVR back after deactivation and in 6 months decide you want it back, you have to pay $199 (possible to get it cheaper though) and start another 2 year commitment....not to mention should you decide to change providers, you can sell those owned rcvrs to recoup some of the $$ you shelled out for them, instead of just giving them back to DirecTV....I have 2 owned HR's, thats the only reason I keep the PP on my account, in case something should ever happen to one of the owned receivers, plus I've had a couple other receivers replaced under the PP and the no shipping costs is nice :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#39 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

If you buy the DTV service plan , you have to wait 30 days before you can put in a service request?

Actually, a few years ago I had a workman trenching a water line and he damaged one of my cables and, of course, didn't tell anyone. I found it a few hours later and called D*. They gave me the option of paying around $70.00 for a service call or signing up for the Protection Plan right then and getting a free service call. I signed up and they fixed it the next day.

I then contacted the owner of the company that had the water line trenched and he gave me a $70.00 credit off my total charges from him and deducted it from the subcontractors pay. The subcontractor called and was mad. He said that he would have fixed it himself. I told him there was no way was that going to happen and that he should have paid more attention to his workers and definitely not have the worker hide it after he had done it.

#40 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

unfortunately after 13 years of directv, there is no way i would be without the protection plan. the equipment (and related svc) is not dependable in the least. talk about the ultimate good & bad.....sadly, we have more then paid for our plan over the years. i look at it as insurance. since directv won't back up their own equipment at no charge if a problem (not incl user error of course), i'm essentially forced to pay them to back it up. one thing you might do if you don't want to get the plan, is setup an automatic monthly $5 withdrawal to a saving account. then if you have to pay for something down the road.....

Edited by rb5505, 09 August 2010 - 02:32 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...