Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protextion Plan. Is it worth it

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tf92

tf92

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

Neighbor got hit, no pertection plan, took out LNB and switch 312.00 to repair. No she cannot "climb on her roof and fix it herself" she is 70 yrs old.

I have it simply becasue every piece of Directv equipment in my house is owned

I do not have the protection plan and I had lightning damage back in May and they had to replace the multi switch and one DVR and all I paid was the $50 service call.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

I own two of my three DVRs, and I don't have the PP. So if one of the owned DVRs goes bad it gets replaced with a leased one. Is that really a bad thing? I can't see why it would matter. :confused:

I can deactivate the one in my eldest room when she leaves for, put it in the closet and reactivate when she is home for vacation spring break or summer vacation and not affect my no contract state

#43 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

I do not have the protection plan and I had lightning damage back in May and they had to replace the multi switch and one DVR and all I paid was the $50 service call.

Directv is known for not being consistent on things, they replaced more then the multiswitch and one dvr for her

#44 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

I can deactivate the one in my eldest room when she leaves for, put it in the closet and reactivate when she is home for vacation spring break or summer vacation and not affect my no contract state

So you are paying $5.99 to save $5 and a contract? They should quit calling it "protection plan" and call it "contract protection plan!"
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#45 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:09 AM

I am a 37 year-old who is disabled and uses a walker. So, of course it was an easy decision for me.
However, before '04, when I was still climbing on rooftops, I chose to live without it. Now that I have 4 DVRs, I think I would carry it regardless of my health.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#46 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

Actually, a few years ago I had a workman trenching a water line and he damaged one of my cables and, of course, didn't tell anyone. I found it a few hours later and called D*. They gave me the option of paying around $70.00 for a service call or signing up for the Protection Plan right then and getting a free service call. I signed up and they fixed it the next day.

I then contacted the owner of the company that had the water line trenched and he gave me a $70.00 credit off my total charges from him and deducted it from the subcontractors pay. The subcontractor called and was mad. He said that he would have fixed it himself. I told him there was no way was that going to happen and that he should have paid more attention to his workers and definitely not have the worker hide it after he had done it.

The CSR told me specifically that the Protection Plan doesn't cover incidents like that, where a contractor or gardener damages the lines or DTV equipment. She said it is mainly to re-aim the dish and replace the receiver, not to fix other people's accidents. I guess it depends who you speak to and what sort of mood they are in.

#47 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

The CSR told me specifically that the Protection Plan doesn't cover incidents like that, where a contractor or gardener damages the lines or DTV equipment. She said it is mainly to re-aim the dish and replace the receiver, not to fix other people's accidents. I guess it depends who you speak to and what sort of mood they are in.

I call baloney on that. D* specifically sets people up for accidents so they can sell them the service plan. Think I'm crazy? Go look at the pole mounts done in your city. Direct bury flooded cable? Nope, not even in the warehouse, much less the truck. Some of that flexible conduit to put in the trench and up the pole and house a little bit so you can weed-eat and not slice a cable and let in water or just plain cut it in half? Nope, what's a conduit anyway? In fact, you should have seen the surprise on the tech that did my parents install when he just had to push his wire through the pipe I trenched to the pole. :grin: We had the discussion I just typed above and he agreed. :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#48 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

So you are paying $5.99 to save $5 and a contract? They should quit calling it "protection plan" and call it "contract protection plan!"

no I am paying 5.99 a month to insure that ALL my directv equipment retains the designation of OWNED. Have gone from HR10's HR20's, 21, and 23's all of which are still marked as OWNED, all of which do not extend the contract if I discontinue one , nor do I have to send it back if I disontinue the unit. Eventually will get a HR24 when one of the old ones dies and I get it replaced under the Protection Plan, pretty good chance of it if I go to MRV

#49 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

The fact remains they covered it and I was truthful with them when I discussed the problem and the various steps I took to isolate and find the problem.

Also, I suspect that the average customer wouldn't have traced the problem and gone through the steps to isolate it. They would have simply said that the service isn't working and we need it fixed. That would result in a truck roll and the guy on the truck would probably fix the damaged cable and be on his way to the next call.

#50 OFFLINE   slo_dave

slo_dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

New D* customer as of 10 minutes ago.
Installer just left. After everything was done he asked if I knew about protection plan.. I said yes but do not plan on getting it right now.
He said that without protection plan, I would pay full retail for "anything" that happened to receiver..even if they just quit working a month from now.
Example: He said a lady had a 4 receiver setup and lighting hit dish and smoked all receivers.. he said she had to pay $1400 to replace everything..
I said bullsh*t..they can kiss my *ss . I do not own those receivers, if they quit working, I expect a new one. I'll pay shipping no problem

#51 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Yes you should have a protection plan but why pay someone when you can do it your self.Here is the secret.

Get a empty coffee can and put the plan money in it each month and when not if it get's filled bring it to the bank. And if not when you have a problem you will not only have the money but but lots of extra.

#52 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

New D* customer as of 10 minutes ago.
Installer just left. After everything was done he asked if I knew about protection plan.. I said yes but do not plan on getting it right now.
He said that without protection plan, I would pay full retail for "anything" that happened to receiver..even if they just quit working a month from now.
Example: He said a lady had a 4 receiver setup and lighting hit dish and smoked all receivers.. he said she had to pay $1400 to replace everything..
I said bullsh*t..they can kiss my *ss . I do not own those receivers, if they quit working, I expect a new one. I'll pay shipping no problem

I can't guarantee what DirecTV's policy is for new customers, but, over the years, I've had at least 3 or 4 receivers that needed to be replaced, and, without the protection, plan each was replaced at no charge to me. In fact, each time, when I requested that the $19.95 shipping charge be waived, it was waived. In addition, each time that I've had a receiver upgrade, there has been no charge to me, including no shipping charge.

Like I said earlier in this thread, protection plans/extended warranties are big profit makers for DirecTV, appliance retailers, car dealers, and anyone else who offers them. The reason why they pitch them so much is because of the high profit margin, and, in their pitch, they'd like you to believe that you will be in dire straits without the protection plan. In the case of DirecTV, there is even less to be gained with their protection plan than with those on other products because the general rule is that you can get the same replacements at no cost without the plan that you would be getting with the plan. Again, my caution is that I'm not sure whether their replacement policy without the protection plan is as liberal for a brand new customer as it would be for one with some time as a DirecTV customer.

#53 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

I have the protection plan but I am currently rethinking if I want to keep it...

Recently upgraded a standard DVR to a HD DVR, the sent me a refurb :(, and when I installed it it failed one of the system tests with a error that indicated the dish needed to be realigned.

I repeated the system test on another receiver - same error, dish needs to be realigned

So I call up tech support, thinking they will send someone out, and for the next 1/2 hours - they have me checking different things, cables, settings, etc etc. Even though the error clearly states on two different receivers, it's a dish alignment problem.

I finally refuse to spend any more time after the CSR wants me to pull out the TV and check some more cables... I mean two different TV's and receivers display the same error, and they agree to send out a tech.

If I didn't have the protection plan, it would cost me $49 and about 5 minutes to have someone come out and realign the dish. With the protection plan, it cost me $60 and 30 minutes on the phone.....

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

I repeated the system test on another receiver - same error, dish needs to be realigned

Was everything working before you started the upgrade?

Did you test the other receiver with the newly acquired HD DVR disconnected from the system?

Did you test it using the same cables?

Were the B band converters installed on the HD DVR?

Is the other receiver working normally even though it fails the test?

Given the information you've offered, I'm not convinced that dish alignment is the issue.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#55 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

I have the protection plan but I am currently rethinking if I want to keep it...

Recently upgraded a standard DVR to a HD DVR, the sent me a refurb :(, and when I installed it it failed one of the system tests with a error that indicated the dish needed to be realigned.

So I call up tech support, thinking they will send someone out, and for the next 1/2 hours - they have me checking different things, cables, settings, etc etc. Even though the error clearly states on two different receivers, it's a dish alignment problem.

I finally refuse to spend any more time after the CSR wants me to pull out the TV and check some more cables... I mean two different TV's and receivers display the same error, and they agree to send out a tech.

If I didn't have the protection plan, it would cost me $49 and about 5 minutes to have someone come out and realign the dish. With the protection plan, it cost me $60 and 30 minutes on the phone.....

Failing the system test doesn't mean there is anything wrong. If you get all of the channels you should, then don't worry about it, all is good.

#56 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

Just looking at some of the signal strengths - most of them were in the high 90's (96%, 95%, 96%, 100%) but a couple were in the 60's

Tech came out today, did some tweaking to the dish, and all is good

#57 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

I have had D* for 7 years and I never have needed a service call or had a failed receiver. So for me the protection plan is a waste of money, if I ever need a service call it will still cost me less than what I would have paid over the last 7 years.

#58 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

To me for $6/mo it is not even a question. It's not like I am "savings" anything. I am pretty sure if I didnt have the protection plan I wouldn't be "saving" $72/yr. I just wouldnt be spending it on the protection plan. I'd probably be spending it on something else I didnt need.

To me it is worth $6/mo to know it wont be me on a ladder messing with my dish in 100+ degree Texas heat or running replacement lines, etc. Nor will I have to play CSR roulette hoping one of them will waive a fee that non PP customers should have to pay. When one of my receivers went down, it was a 5min call and a new receiver in 2 days.

To me the $6/mo is totally worth peace of mind.

Overuse of the phrase "to me" is intentional. It is my opinion. I realize some disagree.

To me: Dish on the roof for LOS, Afraid of heights, Can't get past 2nd or 3rd rung on a ladder + Protection plan = Peace of mind and yes I've used it to replace a bad LNB that killed reception in the heat of a summertime day along with other issues.

Would I buy a extended warranty on hardware in general? IE HDTV, Car, etc. only from the manufacturer if at all. Do I mind paying all that money the PP? No more than I regret having good insurance coverage on the car.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#59 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

All right, I'm finally gonna ask. All of y'all with the "I haven't had it for X years, and never had to replace a receiver" statements, during those X years, did you have a handful of RCA, Hughes, Sony, etc receivers, built bullet proof, with no moving parts, or where those X amount of years all full of cut-cost DVRs with hard drives running constantly?

Kinda like saying I never had a hard drive fail in 10 years of service. Of course, I only had a receiver with a hard drive for 3 of them, isn't it? :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#60 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

All right, I'm finally gonna ask. All of y'all with the "I haven't had it for X years, and never had to replace a receiver" statements, during those X years, did you have a handful of RCA, Hughes, Sony, etc receivers, built bullet proof, with no moving parts, or where those X amount of years all full of cut-cost DVRs with hard drives running constantly?

Kinda like saying I never had a hard drive fail in 10 years of service. Of course, I only had a receiver with a hard drive for 3 of them, isn't it? :lol:

Well, I don't know how well built, but I've had a DVR with DirecTV for nearly 10 years (9, I think). Now, the old DirecTivo was a Sony. It might have been better built, but it still had a hard drive. And, it was owned.

Even if these new ones aren't built as sturdy, they are lease and replace for only the cost of shipping. If I didn't have the protection plan for the expensive to replace, owned Sony, I'm not going to get it for the cheap to replace, leased DirecTV DVR.
DogLover

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...