Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan Question...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   keithw1975

keithw1975

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Directv was pushing their protection plan when they did the install at my new house. My parents don't have it and when they had had an HR20-700 fail they simply called Directv and they shipped out a new one since they are leased. So aside from the other things like free dish alignment why would you need this?

One other thing. I have two receivers right now and they are charging me a $5 lease fee for each of them. Shouldn't the first one be exempt?

Edited by keithw1975, 07 August 2010 - 10:23 PM.

Samsung 42" HL-S4266W (5 years of daily use without any problems or maintenance)
Samsung 46" C650
3xHR24-500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

Directv was pushing their protection plan when they did the install at my new house. My parents don't have it and when they had had an HR20-700 fail they simply called Directv and they shipped out a new one since they are leased. So aside from the other things like free dish alignment why would you need this?

While it is true there is no charge for a replacement receiver, there is a $19.95 shipping fee that is waived for Protection Plan members. Also, if you have owned receivers and they are replaced in the equipment replacement program by the Protection Plan, they will remain owned receivers.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Check your bill. It may be they charge for both, then put a credit for one of them as a separate line item...

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for your help guys. Just got off the phone with then (DirecTV) and placed the order for next Monday morning.

Kevin

#5 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

One other thing. I have two receivers right now and they are charging me a $5 lease fee for each of them. Shouldn't the first one be exempt?

The bill should appear like this.

Fees
-----------------------------------------
xx/xx Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

Adjustments & Credits
-------------------------------------------------
xx/xx Primary Leased Receiver -5.00 Credit

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#6 OFFLINE   keithw1975

keithw1975

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

My bad. I have six credits and that one somehow got by me. :P

Samsung 42" HL-S4266W (5 years of daily use without any problems or maintenance)
Samsung 46" C650
3xHR24-500

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

The Protection Plan isn't for everybody.

If you can repair your DirecTV system yourself (dish alignment, cable repairs, etc.) you probably don't need it. Since I installed/maintain my own system it is not cost-effective for me. However, some folks have dishes on roofs that they cannot access or complex multiswitch setups. For those folks the $72 per year is probably a value.

DirecTV receivers (including DVR's) are very reliable. In fact, I still have my original Hughes DirecTV receiver active on my account and it is 10 years old. Newer receivers/DVR's are leased which means if they fail you can get them replaced for only a $20 S & H fee which is very reasonable. And the replacement is guaranteed for 90 days. If it fails, you get another one no charge.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

It would be nice if it was a "perfect" world, but things happen, and when they have to send a truck to fix a problem (inside or out), that $80 charge for non-PP clients is a bitch. Piece of mind is worth that $5.99 monthly charge.

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

It would be nice if it was a "perfect" world, but things happen, and when they have to send a truck to fix a problem (inside or out), that $80 charge for non-PP clients is a bitch. Piece of mind is worth that $5.99 monthly charge.

That $80 is especially tough since a service call is only $50 now :grin:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall