Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tiger Woods... has he now hit bottom?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

ESPN brought this notion up this morning... referring to the classic phrase: You have to hit bottom, to work back to the top...

Let's see... in the last year:

- Lost his Kids
- Lost his Wife
- Lost his public apperance
- Lost over $1 Billion (cash and possible income)
- Lost his swing coach
- Lost his swing
- Lost his ability to putt
- Lost his focus
- Lost his #1 ranking (Well is about to)
- Lost to himself (score wise, finishing in his worse position ever in his pro carrer)
- He is no longer feared on the course
- He is no longer the defacto favorite
- He is rarely discussed as the best anymore
- He is path to his goal of most major's is most definently in jeopardy
- And for the most part, there is no one that feels sorry for him (given that he brought most of this onto himself)
- and so on

Is it the bottom, as it obviously isn't rock bottom as:

- He gets top play golf as his job
- He has more money still then most of us will ever had
- He has his health

Is this the bottom? before the man that basically put Golf on the map... can return to form?

(And yes... I know about history and legacy of golf, and that people knew about it... but Tiger did to golf, what MJ did to Basketball... give it a standing place on weekend TV... and you can argue Tiger is the reason why so many more kids and adults play golf right now)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dogbreath

dogbreath

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts
  • LocationFranklin, North Carolina

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

I like Tiger, but as you said he brought it all on himself. Only time will tell.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Perhaps, worst of all, Woods has lost his self-respect, and that of mine as well.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

He has most certainly become a shadow of his former self hasn't he. How much of an influence was his dad Earl on him? Seems to me that most of his problems began after his dad passed. Coincidence?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

Well... to be fair... he hasn't "lost" his kids as far as I can tell... and he chose to part ways with his coach, so that wasn't a "loss" exactly.

Also... all this isn't happening because of his poor choices in life... but rather because he was caught making those poor choices! Some of his best golf was apparently being played while all of the nastiness in his life was ongoing!

Had he not been caught by his wife, he would likely still be juggling bad decisions AND still been playing top-notch golf.

That really tells me all I need to know.

IF he had been playing poorly before the cat was out of the bag, then you might think it was gnawing at him and he was trapped in a prison of his own making... but since his golf "woes" didn't start until after he got caught... it pretty much tells you that all the bad stuff wasn't a distraction to him.. but rather getting caught at it has become a distraction.

That being the case... he likely isn't going to climb back on top again. The cat can't be put in the bag again... and he can't go back to what he really wishes (I assume) he could do... being the playboy that no one knows about... and he doesn't seem to like the life he has right now. I don't see that changing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Well all is not grey clouds...

Phil played almost just as bad as Tiger today... so Tiger is still the #1 golfer (via ranking) for at least one more week.

Maybe he will go from last to first... hopefully I can get the time to go up to Kohler, WI this weekend... maybe Sunday
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Tiger is finished.

To quote Earl: Gotta Love Karma

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Not a personal statement against Tiger... but I think even he would have to agree he is in no way the #1 golfer this year. I swear the PGA must use the BCS to determine its rankings! :lol:

I would take golf and tennis rankings as more meaningful if they reflected the current season more than they appear to do.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Tiger is finished.

To quote Earl: Gotta Love Karma

Oh Karma has caught up with him... but I don't think he is finished.
I think he will have one more run.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Not a personal statement against Tiger... but I think even he would have to agree he is in no way the #1 golfer this year. I swear the PGA must use the BCS to determine its rankings! :lol:

I would take golf and tennis rankings as more meaningful if they reflected the current season more than they appear to do.

The world ranking uses a two year calculation with older results having a lower impact as they age.

I think Tiger got the most point in 2009 and was fourth this year in both the Masters and the US Open which give a lot of points.

So I think the ranking is a close measure of what's going on, a once dominant number one with a quickly disappearing margin of points.

I think he'll lose the number one but will be back at some point. Who can perform at the top of their job with as much personal turmoil as he has been in through the last year?
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#11 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

I don't know if he'll ever be what he once was on the course. He said it himself in an interview recently. He doesn't practice nearly as much as he used to. He's spending more time with his kids instead, and that's more important to him right now. Now...he is a proven liar, so take it with a grain of salt, but if its true, he may be at the bottom of his game as we've seen him, but maybe he's at the best point in his life he's been at since his dad died.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

All I can say is, every dog has his day.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

All I can say is, every dog has his day.

That seems pretty fitting. :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...