Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can one have FTA and Subscription Satellite with the same equipment at the same time?

sound to low

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hey all. I'm looking into setting up my first FTA system, and I'm wondering, if at some point in the future I decide to drop my local cable provider and switch to a satellite provider, would it be possible for me to use the same equipment I already have? This is, of course, assuming the following things:
  • I have a receiver with a CA slot
  • I have a Linear/Circular polarized switchable LBNF (like the ones Invacom makes)
  • I have a motorized dish mount, so I can switch between satellites (or a dish that supports hitting multiple satellites)
  • I want to do this 100% legally and legitimately
Theoretically, shouldn't it be as easy as putting the CAM into the CA slot on my receiver and pointing at the right satellite? I mean, I know there's the possibility of losing some Dish/DirecTV features, like whatever their OnDemand-like service is, but if I just wanted to receive their live feeds, legally and legitimately, would I need to buy their hardware?

And I guess on a similar line of reasoning, could I use a Dish/DirecTV receiver to get FTA signals? Or do I specifically need an FTA box?

Edited by Mentat, 08 August 2010 - 01:54 PM.
Added a question about other Dish/DirecTV receivers

Give me enough time and leeway and I'll knock your socks off!
P.S. - Will work for money :/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

No DBS broadcaster in the USA uses the FTA Cam system, its used in Europe. If you use a PCI FTA card, you can always add a HDPVR+satellite box combo to add subscription satellite, and a HDHomerun to add OTA ATSC all on one HTPC, but using a FTA receiver, no, you cant.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Figures. Even when there's already a system of conditional access in place, businesses find some way of proprietizing (yes, I invented a word) it all. Theoretically I would want to build a HTPC-based DVR to collect everything in once place (I'd never ever need/want to use OnDemand if I had my DVR working right now).

What about using a Dish/DirecTV receiver to get FTA? Is that possible? Because it seems that the only satellite guys in my area are Dish/DirecTV resellers and I don't know if they would have FTA equipment.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Nope, Dishnetwork boxes dont have the settings in them (even though they use the DVB system) to tune different satellites. Check http://www.gofastmot...tellitehome.htm for your components. Good guy, great prices.

I currently have a 3GHz 5TB server with a DirecTv H24-100 receiver/Hauppauge HDPVR combo controlled by a USB controlled IR blaster/receiver for Subscription satellite, a FTA DVB-S2 card for FTA using a 39" dish on a HH motor, and a dual tuner ATSC HDHomerun. Im using SageTV (sagetv.com) for the DVR software, and use stand-alone media extenders in the rooms to connect the TVs to the HTPC (although you can watch directly on the HTPC if you wanted to).

System works well, has a HD GUI, no ads in the guide :) and fully customizable.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Nope, Dishnetwork boxes dont have the settings in them (even though they use the DVB system) to tune different satellites.

Yeah, I figured their proprietary firmware wouldn't allow that. Though you'd think they would offer something like that as a selling point. "Buy Dish, and you can get the Dish International box for only $5 more a month! Receive free International/hobbyist programming!"

Check http://www.gofastmot...tellitehome.htm for your components. Good guy, great prices.

I've found a few good resellers online, most of them with positive reputations on this forum. I was just hoping I could find a local dealer, so I don't have to worry about shipping, simplify returns (in case I can't get a signal due to topography in my area, which is rough), and because I like to support local business. Would a Dish/DTV reseller typically have this kind of equipment, or would they just have their franchise's hardware?

I currently have a 3GHz 5TB server with a DirecTv H24-100 receiver/Hauppauge HDPVR combo controlled by a USB controlled IR blaster/receiver for Subscription satellite, a FTA DVB-S2 card for FTA using a 39" dish on a HH motor, and a dual tuner ATSC HDHomerun. Im using SageTV (sagetv.com) for the DVR software, and use stand-alone media extenders in the rooms to connect the TVs to the HTPC (although you can watch directly on the HTPC if you wanted to).

System works well, has a HD GUI, no ads in the guide :) and fully customizable.

I'd probably build mine around MythTV. I had a system in the past, and I loved it. Awesome support mailing list, support for a ton of hardware (including DVB-S cards, much of the HDPVR series, and the HDHomerun). Additional features aside, the ability to mary OTA, FTA and some kind of subscription service into a single box, with a single "channel lineup" is more than worth it, especially when the rest of the family has to live with this thing.

#6 OFFLINE   ClearSKY

ClearSKY

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

If you want a subscription you will have to use their hardware, it would be nice, but as of now it must still be in the works.

spam firewall