Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1st time DTVer and darned picky, but I'm satisfied. HR24 DVR makes me happy.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Moving to Jersey City from Manhattan I was nervous about going with DTV, but really had no choice due to Comcast being outrageously expensive and inept for this area. Scheduled my install and had them put in the notes I wanted an HR24 DVR or nothing at all.

The morning of the install they called during the window and I asked about the HR24. Didn't have one in the install truck, so they said they would drive one out here while the installer was working.

So I said fine and since dishes were already on the house (DTV customer lived here prior) there wasn't much work to be done. Good as their word, the manager showed up with a brand new HR24 DVR and I am now sitting pretty.

This thing is way faster than my old DISH Network 921 DVR used to be (when I had DISH, which was years ago) and while it is not quite as fast as any cable box I have used in recent years, it is nearly so (I'm talking about switching channels, just to be clear).

Software is better, far more ergonomic and the thing has tons of space and so many little choices to mess with that I am still learning.

Picture quality is miles better than Time Warner, Cox, Comcast or Cablevision (and I have had all of them in the last five years at one point of another). I remember when DTV had the worst PQ out there. Friends of mine had DTV and their HD was complete crap. Clearly the move to MPEG4 fixed all that.

My only complaint is that the Time Warner Scientific Atlantic DVR had a lot of aspect ratio wiggle room that the HR24 does not. Numerous modes allowed you to stretch or expand the image and that was helpful when you had letterboxed SD content or content that was squished by the morons at the channel and that needed to be unsquished. It was also easy as pie to switch modes.

Oh well. One negative out of a hundred ain't bad. ;)

So that is my story.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

nice,

I turned on Discovery the first day I got DTV hooked up. INSTANTLY noticed a difference in PQ. I had comcast/dtv at the same time for 1 day. A HUGE difference on certain channels in my aera. You were smart to not accept an install if they didn't have HR24, you would be SOL otherwise.

Glad it worked out fro ya

enjoy

#3 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,425 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Thats good to hear Im glad everything worked out

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

My only complaint is that the Time Warner Scientific Atlantic DVR had a lot of aspect ratio wiggle room that the HR24 does not. Numerous modes allowed you to stretch or expand the image and that was helpful when you had letterboxed SD content or content that was squished by the morons at the channel and that needed to be unsquished. It was also easy as pie to switch modes.

So that is my story.

I know exactly waht your talking about in terms of changing the aspect ratio to eliminate hd broadcast borders and such. however all of my sets have adjustments/selection to do just that. I have a pioner plasma, a sony lcd and a samsung led lcd. All of them allow for tv aspect ratio changes such as full, wide, zoom 1, zoom2, 4:3, etc.

The only problem is say when you use wide to fill an hd picture without boarders, then try to use the guide which is not in hd, as it blows the edges off the screen. So toggling back and forth between modes is a slight pain in the arse....

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

I'm happy for you!

I just wish that I, a customer for 13 years, could get an HR24 like you (without paying full boat for it)

#6 OFFLINE   JJEZ96

JJEZ96

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

I'm happy for you!

I just wish that I, a customer for 13 years, could get an HR24 like you (without paying full boat for it)

Call retention and ask for a credit in the amount of the hr24. I did that and got a credit and bought the hr24 from solidsignal.

#7 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Moving to Jersey City from Manhattan I was nervous about going with DTV, but really had no choice due to Comcast being outrageously expensive and inept for this area. Scheduled my install and had them put in the notes I wanted an HR24 DVR or nothing at all.

The morning of the install they called during the window and I asked about the HR24. Didn't have one in the install truck, so they said they would drive one out here while the installer was working.

So I said fine and since dishes were already on the house (DTV customer lived here prior) there wasn't much work to be done. Good as their word, the manager showed up with a brand new HR24 DVR and I am now sitting pretty.

This thing is way faster than my old DISH Network 921 DVR used to be (when I had DISH, which was years ago) and while it is not quite as fast as any cable box I have used in recent years, it is nearly so (I'm talking about switching channels, just to be clear).

Software is better, far more ergonomic and the thing has tons of space and so many little choices to mess with that I am still learning.

Picture quality is miles better than Time Warner, Cox, Comcast or Cablevision (and I have had all of them in the last five years at one point of another). I remember when DTV had the worst PQ out there. Friends of mine had DTV and their HD was complete crap. Clearly the move to MPEG4 fixed all that.

So that is my story.

:welcome_s to DIRECTV

Sounds like a nice install.

#8 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

Great move requesting the equipment you wanted.

I've been a loyal customer for years on a SD setup, finally made the call to upgrade to HD but just assumed I would be getting the latest and best equipment, instead I got the D20 DVR. Going to try and talk to some people to see what I can do, pathetic this is what it comes to. I'm not going to give them another cent if they don't upgrade my DVR free of charge.

#9 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

So that is my story.

I miss that about my old DVR too, the DirecTV has an aspect ratio adjustment but it doesn't work on HD channels for some reason. The HR24 is still far better than the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD I had.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...