Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CI Channel question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

I find that the CI Channel is totally unwatchable in real time because of the same old clips from the same lame old shows being shown over and over again instead of commercials?

Why is is like that? If CI can't sell any Ad time on the channel then just run the shows. Don't irritate the viewers by running endless repeat clips (of shows that are years old) over and over again?

In our house, we no longer watch the channel in real time at all. If we see a show we like the look of, we DVR the show and skip through the irritating repeat clips.

Does anyone know why this one channel is set up this way? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

I personally think PBS has the best system of all. Show a preview, show the sponsors ads, run the show without interruption, show the sponsors ads again, show previews of upcoming programs.

To be honest, I actually dont even bother skipping through the commercials when I am watching PBS, because they are short, and non-intrusive. I see more commercials on PBS in a week than I do on all the other shows I watch and 30skip through.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

PBS has it right. CI breaks into its shows, but instead of commercials, you get the same exact clips from 'Nash Bridges', '24' and 'Crossing Jordan' over and over and over again. The channel is unwatchable in real time. :)

#4 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

PBS has it right. CI breaks into its shows, but instead of commercials, you get the same exact clips from 'Nash Bridges', '24' and 'Crossing Jordan' over and over and over again. The channel is unwatchable in real time. :)

Getting off topic here, but I'm not sure PBS has it right. KCET in LA had over 500 hours of pledge drive shows in the past year; KOCE in Orange County had over 1000 hours. Many of these shows were repeats of repeats. Only possible way to watch, if interested, is to record the shows and fast forward through the pledge breaks.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#5 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Getting off topic here, but I'm not sure PBS has it right. KCET in LA had over 500 hours of pledge drive shows in the past year; KOCE in Orange County had over 1000 hours. Many of these shows were repeats of repeats. Only possible way to watch, if interested, is to record the shows and fast forward through the pledge breaks.

I think most people would agree that PBS's programming completely sucks during pledge weeks. What is even sadder is that the horrible repeats of repeats must attract more "pledgers" than normal programing. It's like when you compare the ratings of Keeping Up with the Kardashians to the ratings of Mad Men.

Anyway, I totally agree with the C&I criticism. I can only guess that it's because A&E wants to brand it as a premium channel, but keep start times consistent with non-premium programming.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

Are they branding it as a premium channel? Cuz it ain't worth paying extra when the shows get interrupted. I just figured they'd insert commercials if they ever could sell any.

I agree, they should bookend the shows with clips, and not intersperse them through the program.

#7 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Are they branding it as a premium channel? Cuz it ain't worth paying extra when the shows get interrupted. I just figured they'd insert commercials if they ever could sell any.

I agree, they should bookend the shows with clips, and not intersperse them through the program.

There's pretty much no reason not to have commercials if A&E wanted commercials. Even if they couldn't get a good asking price, they would still make some money.

A couple other possibilities:

Some genius decided that people hate commercials but didn't think far enough ahead to realize the only alternative was showing the same two clips of Nash Bridges over and over again.

I don't know if it still the case but ratings are usually tied to ad revenue, so networks who don't show commercials don't have official ratings. In such cases, it could allow the network to ask for more money than their total viewership is worth. (A few years ago, some cable companies attempted to push Turner Classic Movies into showing commercials just so they would know whether they were paying too much for the channel.)

Edited by QuickDrop, 10 August 2010 - 12:27 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...