Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2010 NFL Discussion

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Cutler has a "bruised ligament"...

Not worthy of leaving the game...but we all know the real reason this Bear left...got it on film...

Attached Thumbnails

• Mathews and Cutler.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#222 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

My complaint is not that Cutler was pulled for a sprained MCL. Any of the knee ligaments are serious and one can't tell sprain from tear without an MRI. The trainers pulled him.

But what did he do on the sidelines? Did he assist his teammates? Did he root for his team?

The TV clips of him I saw didn't paint him in a good light--so I really don't know.

Then again--I don't really care about Cutler. :)

Go Packers!

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#223 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I don't think we know what Cutler did or didn't do on the sidelines. Most of the TV coverage was of the actual game... not the sidelines. A bunch of Bears players stood up for him.

Also, arguably, if he was pulled from the game by the trainers... sometimes they steer players to an area where they can make sure he stays off of the field and doesn't try and sneak back on himself.

I just think it is silly and wrong for anyone to criticize someone for not playing with an injury. Everyone has a different pain tolerance... and if he couldn't play as good with the pain then he would be a hindrance.

Truth be told, Cutler was already having a bad game before the injury... so an injured Cutler who was already playing poorly would have been bad. Too bad they didn't go to their 3rd string guy earlier or they might have had a better chance... as that guy was the only one who had any success for the Bears offense (besides Forte).

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#224 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

This debate will likely go on until next season...but there are already multiple views on these points...

I don't think we know what Cutler did or didn't do on the sidelines. Most of the TV coverage was of the actual game... not the sidelines. A bunch of Bears players stood up for him.

Cutler was standing and walking on the sidelines most of the 4th quarter, and part of the 3rd. The players code is that if you can walk, you can play. In reality, there are at least 6 Bears who (off the record to avoid confrontations) who felt he wimped out on the team. There are over 20 NFL peers - some of which had the same injury themselves - who agree with that view. Keeping in mind that we're talking about a guy who has a history of excuses...so his credibility was suspect before this event.

Also, arguably, if he was pulled from the game by the trainers... sometimes they steer players to an area where they can make sure he stays off of the field and doesn't try and sneak back on himself.

I just think it is silly and wrong for anyone to criticize someone for not playing with an injury. Everyone has a different pain tolerance... and if he couldn't play as good with the pain then he would be a hindrance.

While it is very true that only Cutler himself knows how much the injury hurt or caused problems...he did little to shun the fact that he wimped out - standing and walking around gives no appearance of "serious" injury - especially in a game that perhaps might be the last chance for him and his team-mates to go to a Super Bowl. Ya never know.

Truth be told, Cutler was already having a bad game before the injury... so an injured Cutler who was already playing poorly would have been bad. Too bad they didn't go to their 3rd string guy earlier or they might have had a better chance... as that guy was the only one who had any success for the Bears offense (besides Forte).

This scenario happens any time a new QB with a new style and pace enters a game. It takes time for a defense to adjust. The reality is that they did, and made the pick to take his potential game-tying heroics off the table. He might be the only guy on the team with something to be proud of at this point. Even the coaches made bonehead moves that I bet they'd take back if they had to do it over again.

In the end...the right 2 teams are in the Superbowl...I read months ago that they were both forecast as being there...even though I personally questioned it myself.

#225 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Wasn't it just last year that Rothlisberger had a head injury in a game... and then sat out 2 weeks due to a concussion... and players were calling him out for not "playing through it"? Even with all the heightened sensitivity to head injuries in recent years... he was questioned for not playing.

I'm in a weird position here of defending a QB that I don't really like... but I just don't think it is fair at all to question someone who doesn't play after an injury. Could he play? Maybe. Should he play? Maybe not. There's no real way to know.

I think the better reason to criticize, judge, and bench Cutler is for his on-field play... I have a LOT more questions about his capability as a QB when he is healthy than I do of whether or not he was hurt too badly to continue this past weekend.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#226 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Wasn't it just last year that Rothlisberger had a head injury in a game... and then sat out 2 weeks due to a concussion... and players were calling him out for not "playing through it"? Even with all the heightened sensitivity to head injuries in recent years... he was questioned for not playing.

True. Of course this year, the rules for concussions are very strict and enforced.

I'm in a weird position here of defending a QB that I don't really like... but I just don't think it is fair at all to question someone who doesn't play after an injury. Could he play? Maybe. Should he play? Maybe not. There's no real way to know.

He knows - and he ain't sayin' :D

I think the better reason to criticize, judge, and bench Cutler is for his on-field play... I have a LOT more questions about his capability as a QB when he is healthy than I do of whether or not he was hurt too badly to continue this past weekend.

Well...there's certainly plenty of material along those lines to ponder. ;):lol:

While time heals all wounds...I suspect he has a long-lasting stain on how he is viewed by some of his team-mates, his peers, and many fans - whether or not its founded on perception or fact.

#227 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Jeff Fisher has coached his last game with the Titans. Story here: http://sportsillustr...=siextra_012811

#228 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

Titans asked permission to talk to GIANTS Def. Cordinator Perry Fewell

JACK,

#229 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS