Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2010 NFL Discussion

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Preseason sucks....

The NFL needs to take 2 pre-season games away and add 2 games to the regular season.

I agree I rather have more Football

JACK,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Preseason sucks....

The NFL needs to take 2 pre-season games away and add 2 games to the regular season.

I agree I rather have more Football

Preseason football is like popcorn left in the microwave too long. When it's nearing its optimal level of cookedness, the anticipation from the smell goes up. Then, a few minutes later, you get the burned smell, and you remember how something that seemed so great just a few minutes earlier, is now nowhere near as good as you'd expected.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#23 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Pre and Post season games are a waste. Players arn't going to risk injuries, a season or careers for these games.

#24 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Umm it did. Remember the INT returned for a TD when Indy was driving to tie it in the 4th? They held Indy to 17 points...so, yes...Defense wins championships.

The only game all year they played "D"! They had a mediocre at best defense all year. Not knocking the Saints, kudos to them and all that, I'm just saying you don't have to have a 1985 Bears or a 2000 Ravens defense to win it all anymore. Only 1 way to win a football game, and that's to score more points than the other team, and I think you'll see more teams like the Saints who just march up and down the field, and don't really worry about how many points the other team gets. The NFL is changing, and it sould be an interesting season.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#25 OFFLINE   ycebar

ycebar

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

My prediction for the Super Bowl is a rematch of last nights game. Bengals and Cowboys with the Cowboys winning it all

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

The only game all year they played "D"! They had a mediocre at best defense all year. Not knocking the Saints, kudos to them and all that, I'm just saying you don't have to have a 1985 Bears or a 2000 Ravens defense to win it all anymore. Only 1 way to win a football game, and that's to score more points than the other team, and I think you'll see more teams like the Saints who just march up and down the field, and don't really worry about how many points the other team gets. The NFL is changing, and it sould be an interesting season.

I was curious if offense or defense had better success, so I checked the numbers.

Of the top 12 NFL for Total Defense (which is yards allowed) in 2009, 8 made the playoffs. Interestingly, 8 of the top 12 Offenses made the playoffs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

I was curious if offense or defense had better success, so I checked the numbers.

Of the top 12 NFL for Total Defense (which is yards allowed) in 2009, 8 made the playoffs. Interestingly, 8 of the top 12 Offenses made the playoffs.

I guess its 50-50 :lol:

JACK,

#28 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Yet still no coach or leadership. Same story, different year. ;)

QFT

there will be more college teams winning games in Cowboys Stadium than the home NFL team

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

QFT

there will be more college teams winning games in Cowboys Stadium than the home NFL team

Any idea who (college) all plays there this year?

#30 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

10 days and the Jets still dont have Revis

JACK,

#31 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Any idea who (college) all plays there this year?

Arkansas/Texas A&M and also TCU/Oregon State
I think just those 2 games

#32 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

10 days and the Jets still dont have Revis

Maybe if the owners stop giving players these five or six years contract that they have no intention of honoring they would not so many problem. First year players contract should be for a maximum of three years.

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

In a perfect world there would be a rookie salary cap and contracts would only be for 2 years at first... then players who prove their value would get new contracts for more (actual guaranteed) money as they go.

Also... in a perfect world... Emmit Smith (for example) would have been underpaid in his early years because he was young, new, and risky... but because he would have so outperformed that... in his final years he should have been way overpaid even if he didn't play as much.

I'd be fine with a situation that takes care of the older veterans who earned their coin in their younger playing days... but the way it works, if you don't get your money up front you probably will not see it once you can't play as well... which means you may never get what you earned on the field, so you better try and get as much as you can whether you've earned it yet or not.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#34 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

On Sept. 2 preseason, Verizon will have the first NFL 3D game. It is the Giants and Patriots. Of course you need to have Verizon Fios to see it in 3D.
I would have thought DirectV would have made a deal with someone to carry this. D is gearing up for 3D TV.

#35 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

Verizion Fios is pushing 3D content?

JACK,

#36 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

If anyone wants in Yahoo NFL Pro Pickem
Here is the link
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182136

JACK,

#37 OFFLINE   john1117

john1117

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:41 AM

Just signed up- thanks!

#38 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

The San Francisco at Indianapolis preseason games is being black out in the Jacksonville area. Why beside we can are they doing this?

#39 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

The San Francisco at Indianapolis preseason games is being black out in the Jacksonville area. Why beside we can are they doing this?

Who is blacking it out and on what channel?

I'm watching it right now in Raleigh, NC on the NFL Network.

The only reason it would be blacked out on NFL Network would be if it were also on a local OTA channel in the area for the two teams playing in the game.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#40 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

The first twenty minutes or so were black out nationwide. Was discuss here
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182673

spam firewall