Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2010 NFL Discussion

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

The San Francisco at Indianapolis preseason games is being black out in the Jacksonville area. Why beside we can are they doing this?

Who won

JACK,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

San Francisco 37 to 17.

#43 OFFLINE   stevenv

stevenv

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Tim Tebow makes his debut tonight vs. Cincinnati.

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

The first twenty minutes or so were black out nationwide. Was discuss here
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182673

Sounds like it was a DirecTV thing, then... I'm on Dish and the game was on when I tuned to it. I'm not aware of a blackout.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#45 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

What are predictions for this years SuperBowl

Im going wth Giants and Bengals or Chargers

JACK,

#46 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

What are predictions for this years SuperBowl

Im going wth Giants and Bengals or Chargers

I'll be pulling for my 4 teams...Colts, Giants, Ravens, & Falcons.

My SB picks...Vikings vs. Jets. Vikes winning it all.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#47 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

At least you have my Giants in there

JACK,

#48 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Owners meeting today talked about extending the 2012 season to: GET READY 18 GAMES. Yes this was the big and longest talk from the owners meeting today Aug. 25, 2010. A 18 game season. NFL 2012 could be the year it happens.

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Wonder how many uninjured players will be left after that?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

How would the extra two games affect the time it takes a player to be vested? Now I believe it is three and a half years.

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Personally, I'm fine with 16 games both from an entertainment standpoint AND understanding how grueling it is to play all of those games. I'd even like to see them go from 4/5 pre-season to 2/3 to cut down on those injuries as well.

BUT... we all know the NFL (nor any other corporation) would throw away money by eliminating even pre-season games... so I think we are in when-not-if territory.

I hope that when they go to 18 games they also do the following:

1. Drop at least 2 pre-season games to make up for some of the wear/tear on the athletes.

2. Expand to a 20 week season, giving 2 "bye" weeks to each team.

One of the oddities the way the schedule works now is that some teams get a "bye" early while others get one late... and while injuries are part of the game, some non-injured teams get rest early in the season when they don't yet need it while other teams get rest late in the season to refresh.

One plus for the players in an 18-game season with my proposed 2-bye-week scenario would be that the "byes" could be scheduled so that all teams get an early-season bye and a late-season bye. Still there would be some inequality to it the way it would have to be spread out BUT at least it would be an improvement over the way it is now.

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

How would the extra two games affect the time it takes a player to be vested? Now I believe it is three and a half years.

I would hope that the players would ask for it to stay the same number of regular season games to become vested...

So if it is 3.5 years for 16 games, then it would become just slightly over 3 (3.11111) years to vest.

#53 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Does anyone know who was calling the pre-season game Cowboys-Texans with Phil Simms?

JACK,

#54 OFFLINE   stevenv

stevenv

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Does anyone know who was calling the pre-season game Cowboys-Texans with Phil Simms?

Gus Johnson.

#55 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Interesting week for the "getting ready for the start of the season" games:

Packers roll
Colts Get thumped big time
Cowboys get thumped and look pathetic
Cards and Bears don't find offense
Saints keep marching
Vikings win against medicre team and despite their own big shortcomings
Browns, Bengals, Jets, Raiders all have multiple key injuries

Lots of teams have lots of work to do. Some preseason favorites are floundering in big ways.

Interesting times coming up this week with the first big cuts.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#56 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

Gus Johnson.

Thanks

JACK,

#57 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Was the Tampa-Jacksonville game broadcast in HD in the Tampa area. I was not in Jacksonville.

#58 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

You can't judge the preseason games on much of anything. Sometimes a standout rookie impresses... or a major star gets injured... but other than that, almost nothing about the preseason reflects on the regular season.

I forget who it was a few years ago (coach) who talked about being "champion of the preseason" and how it meant absolutely nothing.

Not too long ago the Colts had a winless preseason and then ran off their first 10 games or so of the season undefeated.

#59 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

You can't judge the preseason games on much of anything. Sometimes a standout rookie impresses... or a major star gets injured... but other than that, almost nothing about the preseason reflects on the regular season.

I forget who it was a few years ago (coach) who talked about being "champion of the preseason" and how it meant absolutely nothing.

Not too long ago the Colts had a winless preseason and then ran off their first 10 games or so of the season undefeated.

There's been enough to see which teams have major holes and which ones don't. The example you gave is a 1 in a 100 exception to that experience.

What is true is that corrections can still be made - trades, pickups from the waiver wire, injury replacements, rebounds by a few players, and a few newbie surprises that surface out of the weeds. Those things make forecasting much more difficult. But there's no doubt the Cowboys, Colts, Bears, Cards, and a few others have some real unplanned problems to overcome.

That could happen, but we saw tons of players and coaches with plenty of worry on their faces after this week's play. Oh and yes - the 3rd game of the preseason does matter, and it tends to create the first major cut list.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#60 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

...But there's no doubt the Cowboys, Colts, Bears, Cards, and a few others have some real unplanned problems to overcome.

What are the Colts "problems?" The Colts are still high on lists of experts. The Cards knew they'd have no QB or WR depth. The Cowboys are questionable every year. The Bears aren't even a threat, much like the Cards.

As for whether preseason indicates success, here's some numbers:
http://www.tornbyspo.../nfl-preseason/

I examined the last three preseason’s of the NFL to see if there was any correlation between the records a team reached in the preseason, to the final regular season record.
0 Wins= Those teams that won no games in the preseason on average won 6.94 games during the regular season.

1 Win= Those teams that won exactly 1 preseason game did almost exactly one game better during the regular season; They won on average 7.93 games during the regular season.

2 Wins= Those teams winning two preseason games won on average 8.37 games during the regular season again an improvement from those that won one game.

3 Wins= Those winning three games did only slightly better (than those teams winning two games) winning 8.39 regular season games.

4 Wins= Here is where it gets interesting to me. Those winning 4 preseason games only won on average 5.66 games during the regular season.

http://www.twominute...ason-matter.htm

Our data sample covers the seasons from 1997 to 2005...
* Preseason wins are generally a positive sign for a team
* Good teams can succeed regardless of their preseason, but see less dropoff in wins with better exhibition results
* Average teams are much better prospects if they post three or more preseason wins

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall