Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan & HR20-100 with bad HDMI output

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Got up a couple of days ago and had no picture. After some troubleshooting I determined the HDMI output on my HR20-100 (about 3 years old) has gone bad. I know it is the output on the receiver as I took my whole A/V system, cables, and TV out of the loop and connected a separate monitor with a new HDMI cable to the receiver and still no picture. After some discussion with 2 CSR's they advised that since the component ouput works, D* will not replace the receiver even though I have the protection plan. They insist all I need is the component output. Needless to say I was not happy although I am up and working with a component and digital coax hookup. Forget the fact that I did all the trouble shooting without D* having to roll a truck. I have been with D* for 11 years. On a side note, I just had a H20 receiver replaced under the protection plan about 5 days before this incident and don't know if that played into this. I saw a similar thread about this on the receiver forum with no good resolution. Am I stuck with this receiver until it goes out completely? Unfortunately I believe my service commitment has about 18 months as I upgraded an SD receiver to HD about 6 months ago, so I am not in a good threatening position.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

I have an HR21 with a bad HDMI port that they refuse to replace and I have the PP as well. It's been bad for months and no matter how many times I call the answer is the same, use component and no replacement.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

That is complete BS! No one should have to suffer with a half-working receiver, especially after paying for the protection plan.
Go Hoos!

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

:nono: What a stupid "rule." I'd tell them I want a replacement for 1080p & I don't have component or coax/dig audio cables.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like the unit is "dead", no power:rolleyes:

I would never tell D* anything that would elicit that kind of response.
If they want to play hardball, then we should do likewise.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Sounds like the unit is "dead", no power:rolleyes:

Don't forget, "...smells like electrical burn." ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have an HR21 with a bad HDMI port that they refuse to replace and I have the PP as well. It's been bad for months and no matter how many times I call the answer is the same, use component and no replacement.

Tell them that your want to view 1080P PPV that needs HDMI to work.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#8 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

This same subject keeps coming up, here is the solution:

Tell them you were watching TV with the family and someone "smelled something electrical" near your TV. You started smelling around and discovered your HR smelled kinda funny. All of the sudden there was a loud humming bzzzzrrrrpppp electrical arcing sound and smoke started pouring out the back of it like it was at a BBQ competition. Your wife is pissed that her house smells and your little girl is afraid to go to bed because she is afraid the house in going to burn down in her sleep. You went to look at it and it gave you a little shock, so you unplugged it. You got brave and plugged it back in and now it does nothing, but the TV and all that still works.

When they have you move it to another outlet, just pretend like you are but don't, smack the entertainment center real hard with your hand, yell an obscenity, and tell them it still won't power up.

Ba-da-bing, replacemnt receiver!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

That is complete BS! No one should have to suffer with a half-working receiver, especially after paying for the protection plan.

Maybe a better argument is that you don't pay for HD so you can use componet cables. Besides isn't their one resolution that requires a HDMI cable? Go with that instead.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#10 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Tell them that your want to view 1080P PPV that needs HDMI to work.

I did, still no go.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

They would only replace with a refurb. The new HR-24's sound superior and can be bought for about 175.00. Buy one, send this one back, ask for some credits and maybe cancel the Protection Plan so you will come out ahead within 24 months!

#12 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,165 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

i've had this problem twice and twice dtv refused to change the unit. so both times i complained to the customer advocacy team and both times my unit was replaced....free, no s&h, no contract extension. the link for the team can be found on the investors page.

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:48 AM

:nono: What a stupid "rule." I'd tell them I want a replacement for 1080p & I don't have component or coax/dig audio cables.

Ya. And what about flush mount installs where only HDMI cables were run through a wall or conduit? Not ideal, I know, but people have them.
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

A bad HDMI port would be trouble for me. Both of my HR22's are in a closet and feed the TV's in other rooms via HDMI in the walls.

#15 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

A bad HDMI port would be trouble for me. Both of my HR22's are in a closet and feed the TV's in other rooms via HDMI in the walls.

I'm in my eleventh year with DirecTV and, overall, happy with them. The one thing that has always bugged me is the games we have to do to get them to do what is right for a customer. This should be a slam dunk decision. A key feature has stopped working. Replace it without the need for escalation, jumping through hoops are lying to get them to do what they should.

Edited by narrod, 09 August 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

If it won't turn on they will replace it.

#17 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,165 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

dtv's rationale is if the unit turns on and outputs both audio and video, they don't consider the unit bad, even if you have protection plan.

#18 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

They would only replace with a refurb. The new HR-24's sound superior and can be bought for about 175.00. Buy one, send this one back, ask for some credits and maybe cancel the Protection Plan so you will come out ahead within 24 months!

And I'd be fine with a refurb. I've asked about credits if I go out and buy a new unit, they said no.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

If it won't turn on they will replace it.

I assume that means "insure" it won't turn on.

#20 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

What is sad about the games one must play to get D* to man up and treat long time customers right, is the money being thrown at new or potential new customers. A family member, who is a former D* customer and now with E*, receives weekly offers from D* with free equipment, free installs, teaser packages, and even an offer to pay any E* early termination fee up to $200.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...