Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan & HR20-100 with bad HDMI output

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Simple make a single phone call. Tell them it won't turn on or smells like it may be burning. They will send you a replacement. Just one phone call and you're all set.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Simple make a single phone call. Tell them it won't turn on or smells like it may be burning. They will send you a replacement. Just one phone call and you're all set.

+1

But, It still sucks that one needs to "fib" for a replacement.

Since 1080p can only be delivered via HDMI...if you have a 1080p capable HDTV shouldn't its failure be enough? Come on D*...it's time to tweak your policy. :yesman:
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#23 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Ya. And what about flush mount installs where only HDMI cables were run through a wall or conduit? Not ideal, I know, but people have them.

THats the first thing I thought of. I am sure that there are situations where HDMI was the only cable run. Because HDMI was still somewhat new in 2006 and the low voltage contractor my builder used sucked I have one TV where all I have is Component+analog audio and 2 CAT 5s that I made them install when they built the house. I can easily see them only wanting to run HDMI now since it is just one cable instead of 5, especially on a retrofit.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'm not going to lie about it.

I'm fine watching thru component, if I watch thru that DVR. I have another DVR in the same room and with MRV I don't need to watch thru the one with the bad HDMI port.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

I'm not going to lie about it.

I'm fine watching thru component, if I watch thru that DVR. I have another DVR in the same room and with MRV I don't need to watch thru the one with the bad HDMI port.

You da man! However everyone doesn't have multiple DVRs in 1 room, or MRV, or the ability to re-run component & audio cables through a wall without paying an installer. Bottom line is the receiver is not fully functional and needs to be replaced. If it takes a "lie" to get them to do what they SHOULD do they deserve it. That policy is totally absurd and needs to be changed. That's like a car dealer telling you that just because 2 cylinders aren't firing you can still run on 4 with no problem. :rolleyes:

#26 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

I assume that means "insure" it won't turn on.

You don't have to "ensure" it, just tell them that. :)

#27 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

If you had a plan like the PP for your nice plasma screen would you accept the "use the component" solution?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

You da man! However everyone doesn't have multiple DVRs in 1 room, or MRV, or the ability to re-run component & audio cables through a wall without paying an installer. Bottom line is the receiver is not fully functional and needs to be replaced. If it takes a "lie" to get them to do what they SHOULD do they deserve it. That policy is totally absurd and needs to be changed. That's like a car dealer telling you that just because 2 cylinders aren't firing you can still run on 4 with no problem. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you. A DVR with a bad HDMI port should be replaced. Maybe that type of replacement would require a service call to verify but not a flat out "no".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

I think it's just ridiculous. Have you seen the inside of some people's houses, and how these receivers look when returned? Roaches falling out, reeking of cat piss, doors missing, dents and dings galore and nobody cares, it goes on the "refurb" train and goes out to someone the way it came in, nobody gives it a second thought, except the sucker that gets it as a replacement or *gulp* their equipment for signing up as a new customer.

On the other hand, a customer who has a whole rack of very nice and expensive equipment, a fine home, takes care of his things and doesn't ask much of D* can't get a simple replacement shipped out to them?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#30 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

If you had a plan like the PP for your nice plasma screen would you accept the "use the component" solution?

Actually, the protection plan has nothing to do with the replacement of the equipment, only with having to pay for the shipping of it.

#31 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

I think it's just ridiculous. Have you seen the inside of some people's houses, and how these receivers look when returned? Roaches falling out, reeking of cat piss, doors missing, dents and dings galore and nobody cares, it goes on the "refurb" train and goes out to someone the way it came in, nobody gives it a second thought, except the sucker that gets it as a replacement or *gulp* their equipment for signing up as a new customer.

On the other hand, a customer who has a whole rack of very nice and expensive equipment, a fine home, takes care of his things and doesn't ask much of D* can't get a simple replacement shipped out to them?

u can because i did it twice, despite dtv telling me otherwise. i complained to the cutomer advocacy team (essentially ellen filipiak's office) and it was taken care of.

#32 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

u can because i did it twice, despite dtv telling me otherwise. i complained to the cutomer advocacy team (essentially ellen filipiak's office) and it was taken care of.

Yep, from here on out, every customer should contact the office of the president to get anything done. I don't see why it is so hard! :shrug:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#33 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'd wonder what the response would be if you told the CSR that you don't have any or any available component inputs on your TV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#34 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I'd wonder what the response would be if you told the CSR that you don't have any or any available component inputs on your TV.

- Merg

Use RF :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#35 OFFLINE   woollybully

woollybully

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

If you tell them the TV has only HDMI they will replace it. They may send a tech however.
3x HR24-500, HR20-100, HR20-700, HR21-100, H21-100, SWM16, DECA, Slimline SL5, Portable Slimline SL5-SWM

spam firewall